• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Bank

Curlz

I'm heading to Red Bank on Thursday with a co-worker who also enjoys a good meal...we both know that we've heard good things about restaurants in Red Bank, but neither he nor I can remember specific names! Heeeeelp?!? Any type of food, and as long as it's not crazy expensive, we'll go for it--just out of our own pockets, as we're not on a hot-shot expense account.

Thanks in advance, y'all! I know I can count on you!! :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

While there are a few new cafe/bistro style places that have opened in the past couple of months, having not explored them fully yet, I would suggest either Sogno or Osteria Dante (both on Broad St)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Thanks, y'all! Keep 'em coming... :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Okay, last call...any other recommendations? We're heading down there tomorrow morning. Where's =Mark when Tommy says I need him?!? :laugh:

My vote is for Juanito's. It's not your regular Mexican. It's a BYOB, too! They do virgin Margarita's...you provide the liquor.

Another fav is a Thai place, the name of which I can't remember. It's across from the Galleria Bldg. It's also excellent.

You could also do a casual place like Basil T's ...a brew pub.

Siam Garden is the Thai place your thinking of. IMHO it's OK just like all the places in Red Bank.

As Rozrapp mentions Gaetano's is probably the best.

For all the reviving that has occured in Red Bank over the past 10-15 years, the restaurants are still average at best.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Have fun wherever you go!!

Tom

Tom D

Thanks, gang! I'll certainly let you know where we end up!

Curlz

Well, I finally saw this thread, and here it is, Thursday night. :unsure:

Had I been able to respond in a timely manner I'd have recommended Osaka down by the river in Marine Park, weather permitting. It's an outdoor venue with excellent Japanese cuisine.

Otherwise I'd have recommended Buona Sera on Maple Ave and Monmouth st. Probably my favorite Italian spot in Monmouth County.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

We ended up having a very tasting and very reasonably-priced lunch (al fresco) at Sogno on Broad Street. My friend had been there before for dinner, and wanted to see what the lunch menu was like. His comment was that they've pared it down considerably, but we were both pleased with our dishes.

We shared an app of grilled zucchini, roasted tomatoes and mozzarella, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it served stacked, like a loose napoleon. There was just one slice of cheese on top of the zuke/tom pile, and it had been quickly broiled with some bread crumbs on top. Very nice sauce on the plate with a little bit of cream in it. And a big $9.95, iirc.

For lunch, he had chicken paillard over broccoli rabe, and said it was all cooked perfectly. I had the seared tuna salad; tuna done beautifully rare (as requested), and a wasabi-based dressing over good greens. My only complaint there was that they could have added at least one more strip of tuna-there were only three. But again, for under $10!

When we first sat down, it was just after Noon, and we were the only diners inside or out; by the time we left, there were at least 3-4 tables of people inside. Pretty room inside, and the service was attentive. I'd certainly recommend it!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!! :smile: