• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh wasabi in Montreal

carswell

Forget the green horseradish. Do any local sushi joints serve the genuine article, the actual rhizome grown in mountain streams, plucked only days before and grated on a sharkskin grater on an as-needed basis? Failing that, are there any that use real wasabi paste, kept frozen in tubes until use? Failing that, do any local stores carry the product?

The only source for fresh wasabi in North America is the Pacific Northwest, where climatic conditions can mimic those of northern Japan. Nicholas Robinson of montrealfood.com tracked down a company in Vancouver called Pacific Coast Wasabi Ltd. (www.wasabia.ca.), which courier fresh roots packed on ice overnight. The price is about $10 a rhizome, and a Japanese ceramic grater costs $20.

• 2 weeks later...

Another mail-order source for fresh wasabi is Pacific Farms in Oakland. I've been buying from them for three years or so. In addition to the rhizomes, they sell wasabi paste and various other wasabi products.

Doesn't help you find places in your area that use it, but I have, in obnoxious food snob fashion, been known to bring fresh wasabi with me to a restaurant.

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!