• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

looking for a place for london b-day dinner

So I am an Englishperson mostly living in california these days and a little out of touch with london restaurants. I'm going to be 30 - gulp - in a couple of weeks and am looking for a good place for a dinner with my -very foody - family. I'm thinking Morgan M is a good candidate, also perhaps Putney Bridge. I'm very partial to multi-multi-course meals myself, so places that have that option are particularly interesting. If anyone has any other ideas for places in that kinda good but not GR-RHR fancy mode I'd be most grateful. The other place we've thought about is Midsummer House in cambridge, which is a 2 min walk from my parents' house but noe of us have been to in its current incarnation... I kinda don't trust Cambridge restaurants in general, do people have opinions?? anyway, thanks for any tips....

Edited by alexhills (log)

Putney bridge - Is a good choice and they have a degustastation menu

Morgan M was not up to the mark of a fine dining experience when I visited.

If you like multi course menus you could consider the 1880 at the Bentley hotel. My opinion was that it was trying too hard but recent reports have been favourable.

Also consider The Square (although I haven't been for sometime but am returning in August).

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Hi Alex,

Here's a link to a thread about Midsummer House I had a good meal there, but it was 12 months ago. I wouldn't recommend anywhere else in Cambridge, but it's certainly well above any other places in the area. It's a nice mix of the innovative and the traditional, although I didn't have the tasting menu, I get the impression it's more innovative that the carte.

We had an eGullet meal at the Square not too long ago and there's a thread about it here I don't think I ever posted my thoughts about it. I do still think about the beignet they served us, but with hindsight it didn't hit the heights i was hoping for. I don't think I'd want to celebrate my 30th there (which reminds me, I really must think about what I want to do for mine. It's starting to loom)

I disagree with Matthew about Morgan M I have eaten there twice now and I think it's a lovely room with a good menu. I think it could be more upfront with the flavours, it can all feel a bit restrained.

Best tasting menu for me is at the F*t D*ck so you'll be fully appraised of all opinions if you read that. But I cannot think of a better place to celebrate.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

If you're going to Morgan M then don't drive, I did and had my car broken into, when I mentioned it to the front of house they said they'd had lots of problems with that in the area.

Putney Bridge, went there this week for the first time - nice view of the Thames but otherwise was very disappointed, I don't agree with making judgements based on one visit but will honestly struggle to return on the basis of the experience.

Have been to 1880 several times and really enjoy their grazing menus. My only caveat is if Patrick Salles is still the Sommelier, I'm not convinced he is up to the job - the wines are a real disappointment after 1837.

Foliage is my favourite one star restaurant in London for cooking, although the dining room has less to recommend it.

La Trompette is my favourite non starred London restaurant, but perhaps not 30th birthday treat atmosphere.

Roussillon are doing a two for one offer (if you ask for it upon booking) and they do a very good menu degustation with wine.

Berkeley Square Cafe is great value with the lastminute.com offer of 50% off the food, again I'm more impressed by the food than the dining room.

The Fat Duck is close to where I live, they do a famous tasting menu although you will pay similar to GR RHR and the food is an acquired taste.

The Waterside Inn in bray has, in my opinion, the best front of house in the world and would be my choice for a 30th birthday treat, although again expensive.

The Savoy Grill or Petrus private chef's tables are an interesting experience and they put together a 7 courser especially for the table. As you might imagine the Savoy Grill is slightly cheaper but I would say Petrus is worth the extra.

Plenty of choice....

Edited by Marlyn4k (log)

I haven't been to Putney Bridge but of the other two I'd strongly recommend Midsummer House.

M Meunier & Daniel Clifford's approaches are vey very different: Morgan M is more delicate, balanced, less showy; Midsummer House is big bangs of flavour, unexpected combinations, more theatrical, more intricate.

Problem, though: Midsummer closes for the second half of August, so that might shape your choice.

Putney Bridge, went there this week for the first time - nice view of the Thames but otherwise was very disappointed, I don't agree with making judgements based on one visit but will honestly struggle to return on the basis of the experience.

I was there on Thursday and had a wonderful (if expensive) meal. I'll write it up over the weekend, maybe you cuold do the same for your meal on this thread.

hmmmm midsummer house re-enters the equation.... at least no worries about getting home after drinking there!

the 2for1 special at rousillion (sp?) sounds very intriguing. does the restaurant have a website anyone knows about, i couldn't find one. i'd never heard of the place before i'm ashamed to say.

its hard to sell my ex-hippy parents on places that are too grand (being hippies had its advantages though, they ate at chez panisse in its first week), but i will consult their chequebook as it were and see what comes up. process is still definitely ongoing, any other suggestions welcome... i'll certainly report back after the event...

cheers