• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite "middlebrow" restaurants

Pan

I'm glad to see another East Villager here, but my one experience with Covo dell'Est was unsatisfactory. Some time ago, when my brother was in town, the two of us had lunch there. We enjoyed the decor and had good service, but found everything almost inedibly salty.

Really? I always have to salt the soup. I was once almost run out of the dining room for asking for salt. The waiter started apologizing profusely for the utter crapness of the food. I didn't find it crap at all, I just wanted some salt. He wrung his hands and muttered 'if the food was good, you wouldn't need salt'. Christ, its not Daniel. I'm not going to send it back if its not perfectly seasoned.

Pan, I aways assume that the cook is a heavy smoker if its too salty. Smokers have somewhat dulled taste buds compared to nons. Good cooks can compensate, but some just don't realize.

Dani, that's interesting about the fluctuation in the salt content. It was quite some time ago that my brother and I went there, though. I think it was within no more than a few months after they opened.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread. I often think mid-priced restaurants are my favorite places to eat.

Lupa of course. It's always worth calling for a cancellation.

Georgione is some of the best Italian food at any price, and a lovely space.

Five Points is one of the most dependable places in town. Brilliant brunch.

Jefferson (pushing the price envelope a bit) but I think the food, decor and service are all first rate.

Po is still one of the best deals I know. The food is fabulous. Six course chef's tasting for $40!

Pearl and Marys Fish Camp. I can't choose.

Prune: Russ and Daughters fish at brunch and always something interesting for dinner.

Casa Mono for first rate tapas. Poky room though.

Blue Ribbon. The one in Brooklyn's just as good.

Alias on Clinton Street.

Schillers, especially if you go in the afternoon when it's quiet.

Can "middlebrow" serve four-star food or is that reserved for just "highbow."

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Giving 4 stars to a middlebrow restaurant is an absurdity to me. In addition to which, anything expensive enough to be given 4 stars by the Times had better be highbrow, or it's a tremendous ripoff. But if we want to debate this further, it might be best to do it in the thread about NYT stars.

Michael aka "Pan"