• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Day in Rheims

Johnny

I am thinking of taking a day trip to Rheims this weekend. Is it doable by public transportation. Which caves are of interest? Are they in walking distance to one another? Any restaurant recs? Thanks in advance

I am thinking of taking a day trip to Rheims this weekend. Is it doable by public transportation. Which caves are of interest? Are they in walking distance to one another? Any restaurant recs? Thanks in advance

Do you mean Reims in the Champagne Region? Or is this another town with a different spelling?

Menton, I assume he's thinking of the same town with a different spelling. I believe that at one time, Rheims was the preferred spelling in English. I can sense why an Anglophone would want to put the "h" in there. I've never understood why Lyons and Marseilles were at one time the preferred, or at least the more commonly accepted English spellings. Even the city's own web site manages to use both spellings in different places.

Johnny, as to whether Reims is doable for a day trip by public transportation, it depends on where one is coming from. As for visiting the Champagne houses without a car, it seems that according the Reims tourist office site there are at least 10 major marques represented in the town itself. There is also one major cathedral that shouldn't be missed. There have been reports of meals in Reims on other threads. Boyer has retired at les Crayères so I don't know if it's up to it's previous standards of three star quality, but it was one of the best restaurants in France and priced accordingly.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Boyer has retired at les Crayères so I don't know if it's up to it's previous standards of three star quality, but it was one of the best restaurants in France and priced accordingly.

Since it still has two Michelin stars under a chef who worked with Boyer during 15 years, the last 8 as chef, I suppose the quality will still be good.

But I have never been there; soon I will visit Foch*, which should be less classic cuisine as Les Crayères.

Yes, Rhiems or Rheims in Champagne. I am staying in Paris and will be taking the train to Rheims. Just curious if the main Champagne Houses were w/in walking distance to each other or one could take a taxi. As far as food is concerned, I was looking more for Bistro/Bouchon/Cafe type as I will be walking around alot and dressed rather casually. Thanks in advace for the help.

I just spent a couple of days in the Reims/Epernay Region a few weeks ago. The champagne houses are not next to each other, you need to drive or take a taxi. My suggestion to you would be to rent a car in Paris and drive to Reims. It is literally just an hour away. We visited the Nicolas Feuillette winery while we were there. The most commercial tour is the Moet Chandon. You need to make reservations for both and pay for both also. They both have websites. My favorite champagne is Cristal but their tours are by invitation only.

Most of the wineries are in Epernay. There is a WONDERFUL one star restaurant on the way to Epernay called Relais de Reuilly. The prix fixe is 42 Euros if I remember correctly anf the food was to die for.

If you are going to rent a car, do it on the internet and not at the offices as you will get raped if you walk in to reserve. Try Budget who has offices all over Paris and I think AVis does too, and maybe Alamo. Stay away from the European companies as they can't compete with the prices the big ones offer.

Hope this helps.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

While most folks do rent a car, it isn't strictly necessary. We took a train (they have nonstops leaving at 8:15 from Gare de l'Est for EUR40 that take 1:40) and then used the excellent bus system while we were there. Then again, we weren't trying to maximize our visits either. Most of the houses are not within walking distance; we had a very fun time at Veuve, although we only got to taste the yellow label. Check the bus schedules if you plan to do this at http://www.tur.fr because I am not sure when the buses stop. Certainly most of the folks we saw took taxies or rented cars. I have heard that Epernay, another city in Champagne, has many houses within walking distance of the station. You might try there.

Oh, if you are without access to a computer, the english language reservation line for SNCF is 33 8 92 35 35 39. However, if you ask for "Reims", they will have no idea what you're talking about. Apparently the correct pronunciation is closer to "whime", with a BIIG "w".

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

If you hold a non-Eu passport or driver's license, it's much cheaper to rent your car from ourside Europe rather than at the local car rental agency, although the use of the web may work as well. Unfortunately the rates are much better when the rental is for three days or longer.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...