• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with veal recipe

RSincere

I was perusing what my son so charmingly calls the "Dumpster meat" at Walmart--you know, the stuff that's marked way down because it's about to expire. I'm unemployed and cheap to boot, so that's all the apology I'll make for that.

Anyway, I've never had veal before, but found some "boneless veal shoulder chops," each one a pound, for about $2 apiece. So I bought one to try. Now, I don't know how to cook it. I was checking the sites and found this recipe:

Veal Chops with Rosemary

What do you think, could I do this with my one big veal chop, and then slice it to serve? Next, I don't have fresh rosemary, but I have fresh sage, tarragon, and basil. Would one of these herbs be good with veal? And if so, would the proportions be the same? Rosemary is pretty strong.

I know, I overthink this stuff.

I'm thinking of serving this with rice...I have basmati, jasmine, arborio, converted. Suggestions? (I do have shallots and onions and mushrooms and seasonings.)

Thanks again.

Rachel Sincere

Brown veal chop on both sides add some white wine , fresh tarragon, cover and simmer for about 10 min. Turn 5 min more; remove chop and reduce sauce, add heavy cream to pan reduce some more. Serve chop with fresh fettuccine and sauce over. Yum. Can do the same with boneless pounded chicken breasts or Pork cutlets also pounded.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Congrats on good buying. Veal shoulder is a fine cut of meat and if treated right will pay you back in a great meal. My suggestion would be close to winesonoma's, with the addition of aromatics and braising. The veal shoulder is wonderful this way. Here's one of my recipes:

Daube de Veau à L’Éstragon

(Braised Shoulder of Veal with Tarragon-Demiglace)

¼ cup olive oil

2 pounds veal shoulder, blade roast (boneless won't yield all the flavor that bone-in blade will, but will be fine)

1 medium yellow onion, peeled and ¼” diced

2 medium carrots, ¼” diced

1 shallot, ¼” diced

4 cloves garlic, skinned, whole

2 celery ribs, ¼” diced

5 button mushrooms, sliced

3 ripe tomatoes, deseeded, cut in sixths

½ qt brown veal stock (on a budget, make brown chicken stock instead; avoid store bought chix stock if possible, but if unable to make fresh chicken stock, use "light"/low-sodium stock, and try to get bone-in blade chops if you can, as you will need some gelatin to yield the satisfying mouthfeel and glazing sought after in the recipe)

2 cups sangiovese

½ cup water

½ tsp kosher salt

3/8 tsp pepper, cracked only at last 10 minutes of cooking

3 tbsp tarragon, minced (wait to mince until just before use).

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 290F.

Pan sear roasts in hot olive oil, 6 minutes total (3 minutes per side). Remove roasts and set aside. Pour off all but scant film of oil/fat, enough to sweat vegetables. Add onions, carrots, celery, shallots, garlic, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Sweat for 5 minutes over medium heat. Form a bed, using the vegetables. Lay roasts on top of the bed formed. Pour stock over roasts. Cook on stovetop over medium high for 10 minutes. Bring wine to boiling, ignite to burn off alcohol. Repeat until alcohol is gone. Add wine to roast pan. Cover pan with oil- or butter-lined parchment paper, and heavy, tight fitting lid. Cook for 1h 45 min. Remove lid and parchment; cook an additional 15 minutes, to glaze meat well.

Remove meat from pan and set aside. Strain liquid through strainer, then chinois. Add tarragon and salt. Reduce to ½ volume, crack pepper and add. Reduce to glaze consistency, should be no more than 10 minutes (too long, and the perfume of the pepper and tarragon is lost). Adjust seasoning if necessary. Cut meat into thick slices, return to pan and toss through to coat. Serve with timbale of rice or potatoes, or noodles. Stack meat in a spiral around center starch, and spoon sauce over and around.

Serves 4.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Was it chops or a roast? Very different when cooking I thought it was 1lb chops, though I agree with the shoulder roast recipe. :biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Bruce, if memory serves (I cooked this first years ago, "my recipe" is my recollection of what I did then), it was a blade chop. The "economy pack" of several blade chops. Much like the "economy pack" of pork, the blade end, I choose this area as it is fattier, carries more blood, just a more flavorful area.

I treat many sinewy meats this way, thick or not - embedded in aromatics and braising liquid, no different, for me, from a "pot roast" or the like. (E.G., upcoming at our restaurant, as we are opening in September, moulard duck two ways - magret sear, leg braised in aromatics, duck stock, verjus).

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

The veal shoulder chops I buy come with the bones in them, I've never seen boneless shoulder chops. As to what to do with them, I usually debone and cut-up the chops for a stew. A long braised stew with lots of wine added, usually per the directions of M. Hazen. Veal shoulder is one of the few overlooked cuts still available in the meat case that are relatively cheap. Especially when on sale.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Anyway, I've never had veal before, but found some "boneless veal shoulder chops," each one a pound, for about $2 apiece.

If their a pound a piece use my recipe. If it's more like a roast then a long slow braise would be better. How thick is it? 3/4-1 inch it's a chop. Large piece of meat that takes 2 hand's to hold it's a roast. Really can't picture a 1 pound roast. :biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

The sticker officially says "boneless veal shoulder chop." It's one piece of meat, you're right, up to about one inch thick. I'm going to use the recipe from Bruce, but next trip I will look for a bigger cut and try Paul's; his recipe looks exciting and is higher on the difficulty scale than what I'm used to, so it will be a good learning experience. Thanks for the ideas!

Edited by RSincere (log)
Rachel Sincere

In my experience, whether to braise or not is not so much a function of the thickness of the cut as much as what part of the animal the cut comes from, really, what that part was used for - i.e., the character of the flesh matters more than anything else. The shoulder is replete with sinews and and tendons; they are tough, and braising by definition is a means to break down those sinewy proteins; ergo that's my preferred method for this area, whereas I reserve dry-heat methods for more tender cuts. Each to their own.

Here's a decent link I found on quick search for different cooking methods for veal:

Veal Cooking

If it is a true blade chop, one hour braise should suffice (I slow it down to a very low simmer - a glass casserole shows me the bubble rate - and go longer). A boneless shoulder of about a pound is probably just a cut off the roast, whereas my recipe above is for a blade steak or blade chop, bone in.

Paul

-Paul

Let us know how it turns out. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

The flavor was very good. I sliced my husband's serving against the grain like as for flank steak, but by the time I got to my portion I was hungry and frustrated with my miserable dull knife and just chunked the meat up any way I could. That was really stupid as I had a hell of a time chewing it. I asked Jason how his was and he said it wasn't tough at all. Either way, it tasted very good! I never know if my sauces turn out like they're supposed to taste, though. Doesn't matter if it's good, I guess!

Rachel Sincere

Rachel, another way to cook it next time might be the following version of

Blanquette de Veau Maison, which is usually cooked with slices of the belly but equally good in my opinion for any kind of stewing meat:

1 - 2 lbs. thick veal chops / roast for stewing, cubed

1 onion peeled and pierced with 2 cloves

2 bay leaves

a few sprigs of thyme and parsley

2 carrots, sliced

2T. all purpose flour

1T. butter

1/2 cup pitted green olives, washed and minced

1 lemon

Salt and Pepper

Place the cubed meat, the pierced onion, carrots, bay leaves, and herbs in a stock pot and cover with 1 inch water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 1 hour (add water if necessary).

Remove herbs. Mix the butter and flour into a paste, add some of the liquor from the cooking to make it into a thick liquid, and then incorporate that into the meat with it's broth, raise heat until it starts to bubble and thicken.

Add chopped olives, the juice of the lemon, and salt and pepper to taste - simmer 15 minutes more and serve over rice or biscuits with a fresh vegetable in season. You can enrich the sauce with more butter if desired, just before serving.

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)