• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rocca, a new restaurant in Glen Rock

smoramarco

This is my first post b/c I am so jazzed about this new restaurant that opened in Glen Rock this week called Rocca (I think it's pronounced 'row-ka'). It used to be Mezza Luna and it's still Italian but the food is excellent and a lot more innovative...Anyone been yet? We ate there last night and it was awesome! I had ricotta gnocchi with fennel sausage ragu and the most amazing mussels with smoked bacon and herbed butter. We'll probably go back this weekend it was so delicious...Finally a great local restaurant that has food at the caliber of NYC :biggrin:

i hope it's not the same people as mezza luna because that place was a complete waste of space. any change will likely be an improvement. i'll check this place out soon for sure. thanks for the heads up!

what other restaurants in the area, or better yet in NYC, would you compare this place to?

and welcome to the world of posting on egullet.

Edited by tommy (log)

I don't know why, but I am always skeptical of first time posters either touting or panning a restaurant. It makes me think that the owner himself is the poster, trying to drum up some positive vibes for his new place, or a competitor trying to do the opposite. Smoramarco, I hope this isn't the case here, as we could use a good restaurant in this area.

Either way, welcome to eGullet....I'm sure you will find it an invaluable resource on restaurant news and food trends...

:smile:

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I don't know why, but I am always skeptical of first time posters either touting or panning a restaurant.

the reason is because it happens all of the time all over the internet. :wink:

i suppose that people who aren't comfortable with or experienced with message boards don't realize that they're coming off as shills. i don't know how they wouldn't think that, but apparently they sometimes don't realize it and they really are just fans of the place.

that said, i don't take just anyone's opinion when it comes to trying a restaurant. it's always helpful to know someone's tastes first. that comes either by being familiar with a poster's posting history, or, if they are relavitely new (and we all were at some point), adding context such as "i think it is just as good as xxxx. i really enjoyed me meal at yyyy." etc.

Let me address all of your questions/concerns:

First, please don't be skeptical! I have just become extremely bored with so-so restaurants in Northern NJ and was excited by this place that I thought was great when they had only been open a few days. The service was even decent, although they definitely have a lot of polishing to do...

Anyway, the address is 203 Rock Rd, Glen Rock, NJ 07452. Phone is 201-670-4945. It's caddy corner from the Starbucks. I didn't see it, but the business card also lists "The Market at Rocca, specialty foods and catering, just around the corner, 36 Glen Avenue."

We spoke to one of the owners and he told us that his partner is the chef and they completely took over from Mezza Luna, which I agree was a waste of space. I only ate there a handful of times, but it was a handful too many.

The menu is a full 180 from Mezza Luna, no chicken marsala here...I would probably compare some of the dishes to Lupa. Others were more unique...There were a lot of great sounding fish dishes. My husband had filet with blue cheese walnut crust and broccoli rabe and it was cooked to exactly to his liking.

Thank you for welcoming me to egullet...I've always valued everyone's opinions and enjoyed researching restaurants this way and am excited to finally become part of the dialogue...Good night!

thanks for the info smoramarco. i took a look at that specialty store a while back. they had some interesting stuff. i'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a full kitchen.

edit: i should note that i assumed that the specialty store expanded to the restaurant, but i'm not sure that's the case. these could be new people altogether, and i think that at the very least the chef is new.

Edited by tommy (log)

If it's anything like Lupa I'm there. Tommy--check it out.

i was on my way there tonight in fact. but then i made pizza.

soon, though. very very soon.

what i'd like to see is a website. with a sample menu. and i'd also like to see some interesting uses of pork on that menu. yes that would be quite nice indeed.

If it is anything like Lupa they will be using pork jowls.

JUST got some news. Chef/owner is Craig Levy formerly of Amanda's, Il Capo and Ciao. He is a very talented chef. Tommy--get your butt over there......but since they just opened up give them some time to get there act together. :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

ok, it ain't no Lupa. please don't show up expecting as much.

BUT, the FOH staff is trying real hard (and doing a great job), and the chef ain't no fool.

excellent scallops tonight. a beat beet salad (i didn't "get" it). and pasta with cinghiale. you don't get cinghiale in these parts too much. and yes, it was good, and it was 14 bucks for that pasta dish.

i'm looking forward to returning. so far, so good: this is one of the better restaurants in the area, and perhaps the best italian-influenced restaurant this side of Fascino.

ladies and gentlemen, we may have a real winner on our hands. and you heard it from me. but "what does tommy know anyway".

oh, and yes, smoramarco seems to be a shill. :raz:

(edit to add emoticon)

(edit: too late!)

Edited by tommy (log)

I would probably compare some of the dishes to Lupa.  Others were more unique...

I ate at Rocca again 2 nights ago...shrimp with sage polenta and garganelli with mushrooms were both de-lish...Dessert was incredibly good--a citrus cannoli with raspberries that I could become addicted to.

...I agree it isn't Lupa, I merely stated some dished were similar. And I resent that you state that I'm a shill. This will be my last post to egullet. Fairwell, and happy dining everyone...

OK, so maybe I got insulted too quickly, but how am I supposed to know when someone is joking (unless you use the clickable smilies)? You all know things get taken out of context easily with the written word, so be careful. I'm only writing because I got a very gracious email from someone who will remain nameless encouraging me not to take this seriously. ANYWAY, I have not written off egullet completely at this point. Until next time...smoramarco

I sometimes wonder what Tommy's post count would be if EDITS were counted as additional posts... :raz: :raz:

edit to add additional razzz

Edited by adegiulio (log)

I sometimes wonder what Tommy's post count would be if EDITS were counted as additional posts... :raz: :raz:

edit to add additional razzz

i don't usually edit my posts. i think my eyes are getting bad, though. and, i'm using a smaller font on my screen these days. so i usually fick up the typing and don't notice until later (i oftentimes don't look at the screen or at the keyboard when i'm typing, which might explain why i type so much nonsense).

i should add that i returned to Rocca tonight and had another really good meal. business was booming.

Edited by tommy (log)

Wait, so you went to Rocca instead of coming to Trattoria Fresco with us? We are all a little hurt. Just a little... :raz: