• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Else Besides the Cheesesteak?

Jason Perlow

The cheesesteak is obviously philadelphia's most well known contribution to the culinary world.

But besides that, what other unique food items and things are Philadelphian in nature?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You asked:

-  Mrs. Goodfellows Pudding which later became lemon meringue pie

-  Cream Cheese, though the original version had the taste and texture of fine brie

-  Animal Crackers first baked at Walter G. Wilson and Sons Bakery

- Shoofly Pie is not Pennsylvania Dutch.  It was first sold in Philadelphia in 1876 as Centennial Cake.

- The first commercial ice cream was churned by Eber C. Seamen

- Similarly the first commecial peanut butter was made by A.W. Straub & Company

- Of course the first Automat was in Philadelphia and not New York

- The hoagie sandwich, (outlanders call it a sub or similar) dates back to the 1880's and the first time Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore played in Philadelphia.  Local bakers, to honor the occasion, created a sleek, ship shaped roll called a Pinafore.  Street vendors, known in the slang of the times as "Hokey Pokey" men, took to stuffing these rolls with antipasto salad.  These sandwiches were called Hokey's, which South Philadelphian's, as is their way with nouns, changed to hoagie.

- Tasty Cake including Butterscoth Krimpets.

- Soft pretzels - we're famous for them but not sure we sold the first American ones

- and that most mysterious of all delicacies, Scrapple

I must admit that a local food historian by the name of William Woys Weaver told most of this a few years ago.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Cream Cheese, though the original version had the taste and texture of fine brie

Oh. Duhhhh. I got a brick of Philly in my fridge right now.

My preferred shmear for a Bagel.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 3 weeks later...

Also:

Pepperpot soup (tripe), snapper soup (turtle), the classic cheesesteak sidedish: cheese fries, and Wishniak (black cherry soda, pronounced VISH-nik, though I've heard even locals call it WISH-nee-ak).  I don't know if this stuff originated in Philly, but Philly is certainly known for them.

As for cream cheese, I question the Philly connection.  The brand Philadelphia Cream Cheese originated in NY state.  The name Philadelphia was supposedly chosen as something of a food status symbol, much as Quaker Oats (which has nothing to do with Quakers) was.

(Edited by Bilmo at 1:53 pm on Nov. 10, 2001)

Bilmo's doubt sent me to "The Larder Invaded, Reflections on Three Centuries of Philadelphia Food and Drink" by Mary Ann-Hines, Gofdon Marshall and William Woys Weaver.

Cream Cheese:  A cheese produced by dairies to the west of the City (Philadelphia) in the 18th and 19th centuries.  It was made from fresh cream thickened and pressed into cages aged from three days to several weeks, depending on desired texture and flavor."

While perusing the Larder I gleaned a few more Philadelphia firsts:

Cheesecake

Seckel Pears

Pepper Hash

Fish House Punch

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The "Philadephia" Brand itself may be a New York trademark as Bilmo says though.  I wonder of eating bagels with cream cheese originated in NY, however, and not Philadelphia.

Holly Moore's source could be correct, of course.  But there evidentally is some contradiction among the various sources out there regarding the origin of cream cheese.  In fact, there are surely very similar cheeses that were produced in Europe well before America's founding.  For another view, I quote from Kraft's website:

Q: What is the history of PHILADELPHIA cream cheese? When was it first introduced? What is the connection to the city of PHILADELPHIA?

A: Cream cheese was invented in the United States in 1872

PHILADELPHIA Brand Cream Cheese was introduced in 1880.It was named after the city known for superb foods at that time, especially dairy products.

Kraft acquired PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese in 1928 when Kraft merged with the Phenix Cheese Company, the producer of "PHILADELPHIA" Cream Cheese

• 5 weeks later...

A picture is worth a 1000 calories.  Not visible to the naked eye is a thick slothering of Cheeze-Whiz under the meat.  Yes it is good.  Very good.  This, in Philadelphian, is know as a "Wiz, with"  Meaning the cheese is Cheeze-Wiz and it is served with fried onions.

Enjoy

Delessandros-Cheesesteak.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

nice picture.

Is that a chili cheese steak, or is the brown matter amidst the onions the result of scraping the cooking surface? Either way, it looks wonderful.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Actually, the brown matter among the onions is what we in Philadelphia refer to as "Steak."  Most places use ribeye sliced rather thin.  One of the many debates on the definitive Cheese Steak is how thick the steak should be sliced.

Other issues are:  

- Cheese:  provolone or cheeze whiz?

- Meat:  leave sliced or chop with the spatula on the grill?

- Gunk:  is a Hoagie cheese steak (addition of mayo, lettuce, tomato and, perhaps, raw onion) really a cheese steak or a hoagie?

When the fancy french chefs make cheesesteaks for the seemingly annual article in one or another philadelphia media on "fancy chefs making cheese steaks" they tend to use filet, which, in my opinion, lacks the character of a rib eye.

In California, by the way, one can order one's cheese steak with either avocado or bean sprouts.

(Edited by Holly Moore at 2:15 pm on Dec. 12, 2001)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Great image! It looks like perfect sporting event food.  Eh, cheese-wiz is that plastic cheese in cans, not something you do after to many cheesesteaks and beers right? I didn't realise that you could eat cheese-wiz. It is a favorite thing to bring back from the states, to show your friends how funny those Americans are, but I had no idea that people actually ate it. Like mushy peas here in the UK, the supermarkets are full of tins of the stuff, but I have never seen anybody buy or eat it. Kind of a food-prop-re-inforcement-of-national-identity thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Bilmo, re: Wishniak:

Love the soda...especially if i'm in the mood for something sweet and fruity.  Wisniak, is a brand of Polish cherry flavored liquor....the word Wisnia in Polish means cherry.  In Polish, the w is pronounced like a "v", the "s" has a little apostrophe on top of it, giving it the "sh" sound, and the "niak" part is pronounced nee-ak.  Therefore, the Philadelphians pronouncing it like "Veesh-nee-ak" are closest to pronouncing it like Poles.  Don't know if anyone cares, but just a FYI.  

Quote: from A Balic on 4:34 am on Dec. 13, 2001

Great image! It looks like perfect sporting event food.

It is, and the sporting event is known as "Standing On Passyunk Avenue Eating A Cheesesteak Without Dripping It All Over Oneself".

Roll your sleeves up past your elbows, stand with your feet apart, lean forward at the waist and let it drip on the sidewalk.  :)

...standing on a corner...

similar to the art form practiced on the Plaza in Santa Fe for eaters of Frito Pie? The cart operator slices the long edge of a six oz bag of Fritos, and ladles  in a scoop of hot chili. He hands you a plastic spoon as the bag starts to melt in your hands.

The objective is to eat the very hot mixture before the bag melts. Auteurs usually lean forward.

I understand the town now requires the pie to be distributed in cardboard containers similar to ice cream sundae carriers. Wimps...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

It is, and the sporting event is known as "Standing On Passyunk Avenue Eating A Cheesesteak Without Dripping It All Over Oneself".

Once again a picture is worth a bunch of words.  The aftermath of a Gino's cheesesteak and the inspiration for the Grease Stain rating system at HollyEats.Com

GreaseStain.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

should we infer from the above grease stain that Geno's is your steak of choice?  

I am very, very partial to Jim's, despite trying to give Geno's and Pat's a try based on various recommendations.  

Out of the three that you mentioned, let me say that Pat's is not my steak of choice.  Anything but.

It's pretty much a tie between Jim's and Geno's, though I end up at Geno's far more than Jim's.  Thinks it has to do with ease of parking and the speed at which the line moves.

My favorite Cheesesteak within Philadelphia city limits is Dalessandro's on Henry Ave. in Roxborough.  But the two best cheesesteaks, in my opinion, are not from Philly.  White House Subs in Atlantic City and Silvio's in Hatboro earn that distinction.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Quote: from Holly Moore on 9:17 am on Jan. 2, 2002

But the two best cheesesteaks, in my opinion, are not from Philly.  White House Subs in Atlantic City and Silvio's in Hatboro earn that distinction.

BLASPHEMER!

My cheesesteak criteria in some sort of ranking are:

1. All encompassment (how much the cheesesteak in question becomes a part of me, envelops me, is at one with me)

2. Aggregate Flavor

3. Chewability

4. Quality of the Bread (key reason for my blasphamous proclamation - Sivio's bakes their own as does, I believe White House Subs)

5. Counter Person 'tude

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter