• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which farmers market is best

tomorrow I am going to the sunday market at ballard but I got to thinking which market do you like the best ? Which is actually the biggest with the most selection? ( and I don't mean Pike Place)

The farmers market here in Gig arbor is very small as is the Proctor market in Tacoma.

SO I have decided to drive up to check out some of the others in the Seattle area?

How does the market in the U district compare to the one at Ballard?

I know the U district is a Saturday market.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks Alot.

My impression is that the U District market is generally considered the best. It's not huge (not as big as the Portland market, for example), but it takes over a whole large parking lot, about half a city block. Anyone want to tussle over this conclusion?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Thanks mamster I appreciate that I was thinking it was I will drop by next time I go up that way. But tomorrow I thought I would check out ballard.

I appreciate your input....just trying to find the best place to get the goods.

I haven't been to the Ballard market, but my impression when I went to the West Seattle market (a couple of years ago, so at the time) was that it had a lot of the same purveyors as U-District, and it was also very good. The Columbia City market, when I was last there at least a year ago, was slightly smaller but still had everything you could want. There were also some stands I hadn't seen at other markets; I remember a peanut roaster. I really like the taco truck that is right by the CC market. Since it's from 3-7 on Wednesday, you can go shopping and eat dinner. Nice that it's a mid-week market, since the others are mostly weekend.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Since I live 2 blocks from the U Dist market we go every Sat. bright and early. I use to go to the Ballard market and I can say this is way better. The vendors are really varied and the market changes dramatically with the season. I'm always sad in the fall when I don't get to go any more.

I think this Thurs I might check out the Lake City Market.

I consider myself very lucky in that I live within easy walking distance from the U district market and I love it.

But I often go to Ballard on Sundays because it is NOT all the same vendors - I sometimes get annoyed that the same group of farmers get the spots at U District, Columbia City and West Seattle. Haven't been the Lake City Way one (thanks for the reminder, I must get up there). Ballard was the first one to deal with organic meat and I like to support diversity.

Mary

I just was reading this thread and wondered how many newcomers we have here like OTB who aren't familiar with all the markets in the surrounding communities outside Seattle. Because I am the official queen of mostly useless resources on this board, I thought I'd share my monster list of farmers markets that I've been compiling for a few years. To revisit the old farmers market thread, here's the actual link: farmers market thread

And for those of you who are just TOO LAZY to point and click on a link, here is my most current list (make sure to call in advance because days and hours change frequently for markets):

SOUTH END

Kent: downtown Kent at the municipal lot at Smith Street, from Fourth Avenue to Second Avenue. Open June 5, Saturdays, 9-3

Maple Valley: fruit/veggie stand, Maple Valley Highway and 214th Street. Open now. Daily 9-7.

Renton: Renton Piazza at S. 3rd & Burnett. runs Tuesdays 3-7, 425-226-4560

NEW THIS YEAR!!: Federal Way: In the Sears parking lot of the SeaTac Mall (err, Federal Way Commons, whatever) at 320th and Pacific Highway South. runs Saturdays 9-2. 253-261-8157

Burien: Fourth Ave around 152nd, downtown Burien. runs Thursdays, 11-6.

EAST

Bellevue: Pace Fruit Stand, 2380 Bellevue Way S.E.. Open now, daily 9-7.

Redmond: 7730 Leary Way, Redmond. runs Saturdays, 9-3, 425-556-0636. www.redmondsaturdaymarket.homestead.com.

Woodinville: 13205 N.E. 175th St., Woodinville. runs Saturdays, 425-485-1042.

SOON TO OPEN?? SUBJECT TO PERMITS: Bellevue, Presbyterian Church at 1717 Bellevue Way N.E., supposed to open June 17 ?? and run Thursdays, 11-3. 425-454-8474

Bothell: Country Village, 23730 Bothell-Everett Hwy, Bothell. runs Fridays, 10-3, 425-483-2250. www.countryvillagebothell.com.

Kirkland: Park Lane East in downtown Kirkland. runs Wednesdays, 11-6, 425-485-1042, www.kirklanddowntown.org.

Issaquah: Pickering Barn, 1730 10th Ave. N.W., runs Saturdays, 9-2, 425-837-3311, www.ci.issaquah.wa.us.

NEW THIS YEAR!! Carnation: Tolt Avenue and Bird Street. runs Tuesdays, 3-7, 425-788-3089, www.ci.carnation.wa.us/farmersmarket.

North Bend: North Bend Senior Center, 411 Main Ave. S., (exit 31 off of I-90). runs Saturdays, 9-1, 425-888-3434

SEATTLE

Ballard: Ballard Avenue. yearround, Sundays, 10-4, 206-781-6776, www.fremontmarket.com.

Fremont: located at North 34th near the Aurora Bridge. yearround, Sundays, 10-5, 206-781-6776, www.fremontmarket.com.

(go to www.seattlefarmersmarkets.org. for info on W. Seattle, Columbia City, Magnolia, Lake City and U-Dist markets, they're managed by the same place):

West Seattle: located at the corner of Alaska and 44th Street Southwest at the Alaska Junction. runs Sundays, 10-2.

Columbia City: Columbia Plaza, 4801 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle. runs Wednesdays, 3-7

Magnolia: Magnolia Community Center, 2550 34th Ave. W., Seattle. runs Saturdays, 10-2

Lake City: Northeast 127th and 30th Northeast, Seattle. runs Thursdays, 3-7.

U-Dist: Northeast 50th Street at “The Ave.” runs Saturdays, 9-2.

White Center: runs Saturdays 10-2. Located at 98th Street, between 15th and 16th S.W. 206-694-1082

Vashon Island: Saturdays and Wednesdays 9-1, located near Bank Road and Vashon Highway S.W. 206-567-4548.

TACOMA/PIERCE/WAY THE HECK SOUTH

Puyallup: , Pioneer Park Pavillion, 330 S. Meridian St. runs Saturdays, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (and Thursdays later summer) www.puyallupmainstreet.com/farmersmarket.html.

T.H.E. Farmers Market, University Place: 3501 Bridgeport Way, runs Saturdays, 9-2, www.thefarmersmarket.us.

Tacoma Proctor: North 27th Street at Proctor, runs Saturdays, 9-2, www.proctorfarmersmarket.com.

Downtown Tacoma: located between Ninth and 11th Streets on Broadway, Tacoma. runs Thursdays, 9-2, www.tacomafarmersmarket.com.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Ballard not only has the organic meat guy, but fresh oysters and clams. However, they don't have the variety or number of produce vendors that the U district market has.

Besides the neighborhood markets, I really like the organic wednesdays and sundays at Pike Place when the vendors set up in the street.

I am on a business trip in Berkeley right now, and I made a trip to their farmers market yesterday. I expected to be blown away with all the California produce that is in season already, but the market couldn't hold a candle to any of our neighborhood markets.

kiliki - that's so nice to hear...thanks for sharing that with us.

i live in west seattle and have to say that the U District Market is better (IMO) - bigger. the flowers in WS are very good, but the selection in the U is better. the parking, on the other hand...not ideal.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I haven't been to the Ballard or U-District markets so I can't compare, but I'm always impressed by the diversity and quality of what's available at the Columbia City market.

Despite having just purchased a bunch of produce, I often end up going to La Medusa for dinner afterwards. Can't resist....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946