• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuban Sandwich

stovin

This topic seems simple enough that a forum shouldn't need to be created, but I need your help. I live in NoVA, and have for the past 7 years. In that time, I have yet to find an authentic Cuban sandwich like I used to get down in Florida... you know, with the crusty Cuban bread, juicy roast pork, swiss cheese, and perfectly sliced/placed pickle - cooked golden brown on a press grill. Sure Panera has something they call a Cuban, so does Atlanta Bread Co, but they (as chains typically do), try to out-do the original and thereby ruin it. Any suggestions????

I had a delicious cuban sandwich at Breadline (17th and Penn) a number of weeks ago. However, since it was the first such sandwich I'd ever had, I can't say if it was just a tasty sandwich or an authentically good cuban sandwich. Ceiba also has a cuban sandwich on their lunch menu, and I can't imagine how it would be anything but good.

I humbly submit (at least until I'm no longer worried about being totally overruled by more knowledgable and well-travelled forum-patrons) the 21st and Penn location of Capitol Grounds, who, I believe, do a tasty rendition of the sandwhich you describe. I have nothing to compare it to, having had no other such Cuban sandwiches in the District, and having somehow missed having one when I was in Miami last year, but as a sandwhich on it's own, it's in my regular rotation of favorite sandwhiches at this particular shop. You'd have to ask for the Swiss cheese instead of the default, though. I'd also suggest ordering the grilled sandwiches 'well done', as one of their pannini-toaster technicians has a tendancy to undergrill.

They have a shop in the vicinity of 17th and Conn, but I've never been.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

We have discussed this in passing a few times. The one at the soon to be moving to Dupont Circle SBC Cafe in Herndon is very good.

Steve Klc has mentioned the one at Cafe Atlantico as being the best in town. It wouldn't surprise me if that was true.

Bill Russell

I don't even know the name of the place, but I have had a great Cuban sandwiches (great only compared to the Panera and Atlanta Bread Company sandwiches I've tried) at a little sandwich shop just north of K on 17th Street (on the west side of 17th). It's a tiny place with no seating and, in my experience, rude customers, but it's worth it! If I find the name of the place, I'll post it.

I don't even know the name of the place, but I have had a great Cuban sandwiches (great only compared to the Panera and Atlanta Bread Company sandwiches I've tried) at a little sandwich shop just north of K on 17th Street (on the west side of 17th). It's a tiny place with no seating and, in my experience, rude customers, but it's worth it! If I find the name of the place, I'll post it.

I'd almost venture to say that sounds like the 17th street branch of Capitol Grounds. I've never been in, but I've walked by, and IIRC, it's basically a storefront with a counter. Much smaller than the 21st and Penn. Any other distinguishing features/menu items?

Matt Robinson

I would say buy the ingredients and make one. I LOVE Cuban sandwiches here in Florida... I know so well what you're talking about. I can go buy them, but I have put together my version based on a few of my favorites in bars/grills and restaurants here at the beach.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I don't even know the name of the place, but I have had a great Cuban sandwiches (great only compared to the Panera and Atlanta Bread Company sandwiches I've tried) at a little sandwich shop just north of K on 17th Street (on the west side of 17th).  It's a tiny place with no seating and, in my experience, rude customers, but it's worth it!  If I find the name of the place, I'll post it.

I'd almost venture to say that sounds like the 17th street branch of Capitol Grounds. I've never been in, but I've walked by, and IIRC, it's basically a storefront with a counter. Much smaller than the 21st and Penn. Any other distinguishing features/menu items?

Capitol Grounds is on 17th, between K and L. I had my first cuban sandwich this afternoon. Since I have nothing to compare it to, I will withhold judgment. Next stop is the burrito wagon on the corner.

I would say buy the ingredients and make one. I LOVE Cuban sandwiches here in Florida... I know so well what you're talking about. I can go buy them, but I have put together my version based on a few of my favorites in bars/grills and restaurants here at the beach.

One of the things that makes a Cuban sandwich so good is the bread. From my experience, we can't get good Cuban bread up here. :sad: Also, I don't think many of us own a sandwich press. :sad:

I lived in West Central FL (Inverness) for about eight years and came up here in 1988. I sure miss that great Cuban food. And, yes, I've been to the Cuban Corner in Rockville. I guess it's better than nothing, but it can't measure up to the restaurants in Tampa and St. Pete.

Breadline had the Cuban sandwhich as the special today, but I just had the $4.17 for an ever-tasty but non-Cuban-sandwhich Wreck from the Potbelly on the corner.

Wish there were some way of seeing what Breadline was doing on a given day without having to actually go over there, and potentially jeopardize other luncheon options!

Matt Robinson

One of the things that makes a Cuban sandwich so good is the bread.  From my experience, we can't get good Cuban bread up here.  :sad: 
That's too bad... You're right, the bread is an important part.
Also, I don't think many of us own a sandwich press. :sad:
I don't use a sandwich press. I've had good results placing the sandwich in my larger cast-iron skillet, and covering it with my smaller cast-iron skillet containing a brick.
I lived in West Central FL (Inverness) for about eight years and came up here in 1988.  I sure miss that great Cuban food.  And, yes, I've been to the Cuban Corner in Rockville.  I guess it's better than nothing, but it can't measure up to the restaurants in Tampa and St. Pete.
I don't know Inverness, but then again, I don't know lots of FL between here and the Gulf coast. I'm sure you do miss the Cuban food. So would I, and I didn't begin to really appreciate the great Cuban food until I moved down here. Some places sure are better than others... Today we ate lunch at Bongo's, the Cuban restaurant in Downtown Disney. The Cuban sandwich was good, but not great.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I had the Cuban Sandwhich from Breadline (Last of three they had for the day, I'm afraid), and it was very good. Probably one of the best things I've had from them, out of the potential field of the grilled veggie a while ago, and the 'spicy chicken dalliah' yesterday (A sandwhich with peanuts...wild!! Also, tasty). It's your basic cuban sandwhich, meat sliced to hand-carved as opposed to deli slicer tolerances, with an orange-cumin sauce. Wait, weren't the origonal specs for a 'not tarted up cuban sandwhich'? Oh well, it's good, and I'm not one to just throw italics around. At $8.25 after tax, it's about...a dollar more than I'd be normally up for paying, but I believe it's basically worth it.

-- C.S.

"He's Not Given To Wild Flights Of Alternative Typefaces"

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson