• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RUB (Righteous Urban Barbecue)

jhlurie

I'm really looking forward to this place. After I received the proper education on what cut of brisket to ask for (flat -- I don't like the deckle) and sampling some of their burnt ends, I've become a Paul Kirk R.U.B. convert.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Grumble. Perlow is still on this "my meat must have no visible fat" kick. :smile: I mean... c'mon. When you go to Katz's which Pastrami do you order? The fatty stuff.

Burnt Ends, y'all. I know what I'm eating in his new place.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The Post story doesn't seem to mention brisket as one of the items on offer; I assume that's an oversight?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dude... what is up with that? You totally have to take from the deckle. Well, the best is a carefully crafted mix of deckle and flat for just the right amount of fat. Absent a skilled counterman, though, I'd rather have all deckle than all flat.

--

The Post story doesn't seem to mention brisket as one of the items on offer; I assume that's an oversight?

It HAS to be. That's K.C. barbecue more than chicken & ribs, or even pulled pork (which is still big, mind you--Missouri is a HUGE pig-raising state).

Absent a skilled counterman

This would seem to be a key component. I don't want some pimply-faced local NY kid with no training cutting and portioning my meat. I want the mix, unless of course I'm getting the previously mentioned Burnt Ends.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

When these guys set up camp in New York and cut like a million portions of brisket by hand every day, what stupid excuse will all the delis who slice their pastrami and corned beef on machines use? They won't be able to say "Oh, only Katz's can afford to do that." Really, it's hardly all that labor intensive. What were they cranking out 5,000 portions of brisket each day at the BABBP with something like 3 gentiles doing the cutting?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Brisket we know Paul can do.

The thing is... if we'd known that he had Pastrami in the works, Jason and I might have asked him about it when we had him cornered. Instead, we talked about Oklahoma Joe's, and Jason's fear of meat fat. :biggrin:

He's got some NY partners--we saw them in the booth. But I'd like some reassurance that he knows some of the secrets of Pastramitization.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Paul Kirk, aka The K.C. Baron of BBQ is a perfectionist. He's a trained chef that has consulted around the world for major resturants and hotels. Don't let that down-home, low-key persona fool you, he can talk food chemistry with the best of them. If he says he can make pastrami, he can make pastrami. I suggest that you look thru some of his books to see the level of his expertise, or you can schedule a class with him for you and your friends, that's the best way to learn the magic of good BBQ. http://www.bbqcookoff.com/school.htm

When these guys set up camp in New York and cut like a million portions of brisket by hand every day, what stupid excuse will all the delis who slice their pastrami and corned beef on machines use? They won't be able to say "Oh, only Katz's can afford to do that." Really, it's hardly all that labor intensive. What were they cranking out 5,000 portions of brisket each day at the BABBP with something like 3 gentiles doing the cutting?

according to one of the guys behind the counter doing the slicing, only one guy was from out of nyc at the brisket stand..

according to one of the guys behind the counter doing the slicing, only one guy was from out of nyc at the brisket stand..

Well, logically that would have to be Paul then.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the opening of Paul Kirks RUB on 23 st. i walked by there and there was a small sign up that said they were aplying for a liquor liscense. With all this bbq talk i can't wait for them to open. I went uptown to Dino and it was good all the way around bu the Barons brisket is still King. :blink:

Does anyone know what is going on with the opening of Paul Kirks RUB on 23 st. i walked by there and there was a small sign up that said they were aplying for a liquor liscense. With all this bbq talk i can't wait for them to open. I went uptown to Dino and it was good all the way around bu the Barons brisket is still King. :blink:

I was wondering the same thing - When's the place opening. Didn't NY Magazine say it would be open by now. At least they have started work. I'm starting to forget just how good Paul Kirk's brisket is. I've been up to the Dinosnore and it didn't knock my socks off. Good, but not great. There menu talks about the virtues of the smoke-ring, but I didn't see any. Wonder who will travel uptown once the novelty wears off and Kirk's place opens. The brisket Kirk made on the street was still the best I have ever had.

Longing for good Q.

What were they cranking out 5,000 portions of brisket each day at the BABBP with something like 3 gentiles doing the cutting?

Give us damn near anything other than a foreskin to work with and us gentiles can cut with the best of 'em :laugh::raz:

I don't think the dinosnore hand cuts the brisket...do they? i've been to Arthur Bryants in KC and they don't hand cut

Dude... what is up with that?  You totally have to take from the deckle.  Well, the best is a carefully crafted mix of deckle and flat for just the right amount of fat.  Absent a skilled counterman, though, I'd rather have all deckle than all flat.

Technically, you mean the "point" not the deckle. The deckle is the connective tissue and muscle that connects that flat to the rib cage.

See below, 118-120

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/imps/imps100pc.pdf

The IMPS doesn't necessarily define what is and isn't correct terminology, as an equivalent body might do in France. What it does is it establishes a certain uniform standard for the food-service industry so that in any part of the US you can order a "Number 119, Range C" and know what you'll be getting. But there's plenty of terminology in IMPS that doesn't square with what those steeped in a particular tradition -- who sometimes possess the most expertise regarding a given cut -- will call a piece of meat. For example, there are points of differentiation between the Lobel's Guide to Meat and the IMPS, especially with respect to naming the shell (Lobel's) or strip loin (IMPS), and of course virtually no steakhouse uses either term -- it's almost always "New York strip" or the like. Deckle is another of those terms that is used one way by a lot of serious brisket people and another way by IMPS. I have to look at my NAMP book to see if there's a really good diagram, but I suspect that deckle in the vernacular of brisket is short for "deckle end," in other words it's not actually the deckle but rather the piece of meat at the end of the flat, separated by the deckle -- or something like that. I'll check.

It HAS to be. That's K.C. barbecue more than chicken & ribs, or even pulled pork (which is still big, mind you--Missouri is a HUGE pig-raising state).

Chicken?

I'm sure that many Kansas City barbeque places sell some, and it's been a long, long time since I last set foot in Gates' or anyplace remotely like it, but I don't ever recall seeing an actual patron of a good KC 'cue joint walk away from the order counter with any.

Ribs, OTOH, are another story. Sure, they're not as closely identified with Kansas City as burnt ends (especially) or brisket are, but they can be found at every respectable 'cue purveyor in the area. They're also something every expat Kansas Citian I've run across knows how to make.

Those of you who have never had burnt ends, you're in for a real treat. Glad to see that New York City is finally getting a really good 'cue joint. The lack of one was a serious deficiency for a place that prides itself as a culinary capital. :biggrin:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3