• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Cheese Steak Adventure

Richie111

what's the street parking situation like around there?

It's South Philly, park wherever you want! the median in the middle of the street, sidewalks, in traffic with the blinkers on.... Sure, it ain't legal, but you got a problem wit dat?

The one and only time I had content edited out of my column in the City Paper was in a review of Bomb Bomb in South Philadelphia when I encouraged double parking noting that "the last meter maid to ticket a car in South Philly is now swimming with the fishes."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

so...what did you think of Bomb Bomb ribs? btw, a little off topic- I still follow (with a bit of tweaking) the snert recipe you wrote in the city paper in the early 90's. you rock, holly moore. please keep on sharing with the rest of us.

Edited by jmbrightman (log)

Deprofundis! I drove down to South Philly to try and sample a steak from John's and they were closed! I got there around 2pm and they were all closed up. Oh well that's what I get for not calling ahead. I had to "settle" for a steak from Tony Luke's. They make a pretty mean steak. They can't knock Deli's from #1, but they're certainly better than average. I will say that I probably had the freshest, softest roll I ever had with a chessesteak. 4 out of 5 on the grease stain system.

So, the best steaks I've had in the past two weeks are...

1. Dalessandro's

2. Tony Luke's

3. Geno's

4. Pat's

? John's

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until the Phils' home opener to see where John's fits into this equation...

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Deprofundis! I drove down to South Philly to try and sample a steak from John's and they were closed! I got there around 2pm and they were all closed up. Oh well that's what I get for not calling ahead. I had to "settle" for a steak from Tony Luke's. They make a pretty mean steak. They can't knock Deli's from #1, but they're certainly better than average. I will say that I probably had the freshest, softest roll I ever had with a chessesteak. 4 out of 5 on the grease stain system.

So, the best steaks I've had in the past two weeks are...

1. Dalessandro's

2. Tony Luke's

3. Geno's

4. Pat's

?  John's

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until the Phils' home opener to see where John's fits into this equation...

I drove past them today too and noticed they were closed. It could be because of the holiday tomorrow. But I know they're open Saturdays now cause I went there last week. Try again next week! What kind of cheese did you get when you went to Tony Luke's?

Yeah good point the probably were closed due to the holiday. I keep forgetting tomorrow is Easter. I had American cheese with my steak, which is what I get 99% of the time. I'll never forget the first time I went to Geno's and saw that they used Cheez Whiz as their default cheese. Kinda freaked me out. I'll switch things up every once in a about a year and go for a steak with Whiz, but not much more often than that. It's ok, but I was raised on American cheese with my steak. I should also note that while TL's cheesesteak was good, it's not good enough to crack my rotation of roast pork/ chicken cutlet sandwiches from there.

Homer Simpson

I am a roast pork w/ sharp provolone and long hots every time I go to Tony Luke's, about every other week. for a good pre-Phillies game steak right up the road fron CBP, try Talk of the Town on Broad just north of Packer (west side of Broad, just after the overpass). flipped, not chopped.

after spending the better part of my 40 years living in the Philadelphia area, I had my first Dellasandro's cheesesteak today. (As an aside, I was planning on going to Zeke's but they are closed on Mondays). I thought it was a good steak, but nothing worthy of top-3 or even top-5 status.

I found the chopped meat to be a bit too chopped, and somewhat dry. I did not have the sauce, but I like to rely on the actual meat to have its own flavor, and the only moisture came from the steam of the meat within the roll.

Watching the cooking process, I thought they construct a good steak, with any condiments on the roll, some steak, then the upside-down steak/cheese formation. If you get mushrooms or sauce, that goes on top.

The roll was very fresh, and there was an Amoroso truck outside if that helps anyone on either side of a debate.

On the whole, it was good, but not great. There was nothing to differentiate this from many other "chopped meat" cheesesteaks out there, and in my biased opinion, not close to Johns or Tony Lukes. Oh, and for what may be a whole new rating scale, the clean-up required 2 flossings and a toothpick.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Phungi, not even top 5? Man I guess I really am a homer. I've heard some people make an arguement that Chubby's across the street is better. These people are not to be trusted...

Homer Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to keep this thread on the front page, I went to Steve's (on Bustleton Ave.) today for lunch. The steak was exactly the kind I like, not chopped, big slabs/chunks of meat. Usually, this makes a jucier steak, but it was a little on the dry side, so I have a feeling I did not get their best product today.

However, the roll was excellent and the fried onions were cooked just right, making it a very tasty steak sandwich. Also excellent were the spicy fries with dipping cheese. If you have never been there, it is worth the trip for a unique delicious cheesteak.

Overall, the meat was tender, earning it a 1-toothpick rating (which is nice).

• 5 weeks later...

One month later, I went to Cubby's for a cheesesteak, having heard fromsome it was better than Delassandro's across the street. I found it to be quite similar to Delassandro's in appearance and the manner in which the steak was chopped (small pieces), but found Cubby's to be less greasy, and much more tasty. Fresh roll, nice wait staff, free refills on the drinks.

Perhaps I am becoming a Cheesesteak snob, but Steve's, John's, and Geno's are all better.

Good quality meat, with little gristle... 1 toothpick.