• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Cirque 2000 (Closed)

Wilfrid

Bryan Miller is great and all. But I never had a single good meal at le Cirque, I'm not even being a dick. every single meal the service was exception and wonderful, but the meal was complete shit. overcooked, cold, underseasoned, you name it. really mediocre food served at a high level. the desserts were always the exeption. always excellent. and the wine and cocktails. I was unfortunately dissapointed every time...even when dining with a friend of the chef. I'm not sorry it's closed. hopefully Sirio will create soemething both special and tasty next time. What a shame...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Tell us what you really think, Luckylies. :laugh:

Seriously, I don't know if I ever went to Le Cirque (if I did, it must have been back in the 80s), but I always appreciate when people decline to blindly accept received opinion.

Michael aka "Pan"

I was underwhelmed by Le Cirque 2000 about a year and a half ago. I wish I could tell you what we ate but it wasn't memorable.

It will be interesting to see who fills the space. The New York Palace is a prime hotel.

The NY Times also added its comment on the closing of Le Cirque. Eric Asimov was impressed by the food but felt the restaurant peaked in the '80s and since then "...

the central importance of Le Cirque has diminished, gracefully but inexorably. "

The New York Times Diner's Journal 12/31/04 Eric Asimov

I interviewed Sirio Maccioni 10 days before closing and he was "sad and mad" that he once again couldn't settle differences with hotel management and has to pack up all those monkey sculptures and pictures and memorabilia (not to mention the quarter million dollar stoves) and start over again.

He is an innovator and a survivor. The new Le Cirque should resemble the original Mayfair Hotel Le Cirque. They hope to open by Labor Day of this year.

Ya gotta eat! - Aunt Rifkie on our way to Nathan's in Coney Island