• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Wegmans

When the Wegman's was built in Woodbridge, the intersection was re-designed and works much better than before. I don't know how much Wegman's influenced the decision to re-design the roads but it would be in their interest to have an accessible parking lot.

Alright, as I was typing that notion, a small part of me was saying "Scott, you're talking out of your ass." It's official. I was.

When ass-talking becomes official I always try to pay careful attention 'cause it just might be important :wink:

Wegman's frequently pays for major road improvements on the roads accessing their stores. It's usually one of the mandates from the townships in which they locate, in order that the traffic increase be properly accomodated. The redesign they did on East Genesee Street in Syracuse when they expanded was a very good one - traffic actually flows there better than it ever did before they doubled the size of the store.

I think the location is actually a bit further west up Rt 10 from the Liv circle, but trust me, the traffic issues are no better there.

Wrong. The previous post had it exactly right. If you're turning left on to Rt. 10 east out of the parking lot that Penang shares with Home Depot, etc. you are staring at the spot where Wegman's is going.

Yes, its already a nightmare at that light particularly on the weekends. Yes, its only going to get worse. Yes, Rt. 10 is way too congested, take it from someone who works two blocks down on the west bound side of the highway and has to deal with it every day.

Still, I'm happy to have Wegman's coming. Particularly for their fish department. I find the fish from there to be much better than at the other supermarkets I shop in. Right now we only eat fish on Monday's because its the only day of the week my schedule allows me to go to the Bridgewater Wegmans.

As for the "Morristown" issue, who cares? Call it the Timbuktu Wegmans for all I care. Just pay off the right East Hanover officals and get the damn thing built.

QUOTE (Curlz @ Jun 11 2004, 08:39 AM)

I think the location is actually a bit further west up Rt 10 from the Liv circle, but trust me, the traffic issues are no better there.

Wrong. The previous post had it exactly right. If you're turning left on to Rt. 10 east out of the parking lot that Penang shares with Home Depot, etc. you are staring at the spot where Wegman's is going.

Sorry, Curlz is right, I edited my post as it wasn't as clear as it should have been.

http:/www.etuinc.com

• 2 weeks later...

Some South Orange/Maplewood residents on MOL have expressed interest in a Wegman's on Springfield Avenue - perhaps instead of the planned Walmart ( where the driving range is now, next to Home Depot in VauxHall/Union)... What a way to revitalize SA Avenue!

Will Wegmans fit on that "island" of land between Old Mt Pleasant Ave and Route 10? Or will it actually be BEHIND the BK, on The road that runs just south of Route 10.?

Wegmans supposedly will be on the industrial site next to the high school, only an entrance road is on Mt Pleasant Ave. The site it self is about 10 acres, I believe.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

• 1 month later...

Today's Star-Ledger, page 63, Essex County Section The East Hanover council rescheduled a public hearing on a proposal to build a Wegmans on the old Varityper property. The meeting was changed to the 17th of the month due to the high turnout of residents,(250). The property is at the end Old Mount Pleasant Ave next to the high school and the developer is under contract to purchase 36 acres of the 44 acre site.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

Here we go, folks!!! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

sunday's star ledger, morris county section had an article about some of the people who are fighting the township's move to declare their property a redevelopment area. at least two of them have sued the township to have their properties removed from the 44 acres.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

PFFFFFFFFT! :angry:

Then again, perhaps this will send Wegmans a bit further east...say, towards the Rutherford/Meadowlands area...? :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I live in Long Valley and work in Bedminster, but travel to NYC weekly specifically to food shop(Union Square Greenmarket, Fairway, H& H bagels always on my route) The last time I shopped at Wegmans we managed to spend an insane amount of money on bad produce, mediocre bakery products and very good meat and fish.

Sadly, there are no excellent food market, greenmarkets or restaurants in this area (leaving aside special occasion humdingers like Ryland Inn, Bernards Inn or Le Petit Chateau).

Any suggestions on places I might've missed?