• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Second NJ eGullet Dinner

Rachel Perlow

I dunno.   From what I've been told most Europeans are scared of New Jersey.  Something having to do with confusing "The Sopranos" with real life.

(Edited by jhlurie at 2:13 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

(Hesitantly jumping in as a new member, who just moved to Weehawken from Hong Kong): the wine comments seem a bit odd in the context of eating a Chinese restaurant, where normally all the food is shared. In Hong Kong most people will eat everything. Not so here: are there arguments if some people want to eat only vegetarian, others only seafood, others only the dumplings?

the wine comments seem a bit odd in the context of eating a Chinese restaurant, where normally all the food is shared.

a little of everything is great when you're discussing food.  a little of everything is a hassle when you're talking wine.  IMHO.

you must tell us about your culinary (and other) experiences in hong kong!  r u coming to this dinner?

(Hesitantly jumping in as a new member, who just moved to Weehawken from Hong Kong): the wine comments seem a bit odd in the context of eating a Chinese restaurant, where normally all the food is shared. In Hong Kong most people will eat everything. Not so here: are there arguments if some people want to eat only vegetarian, others only seafood, others only the dumplings?

Please don't hesitate to join in the conversation. And, feel free to ignore some of the more idiotic post(er)s. We welcome your input and hope you plan on joining us in April. As with most Chinese banquets food will be served family style (on round tables with turning center area) so everyone is free to help themselves. Some people have expressed concern about some of the food; all I can say is you can't please all of the people all of the time. All are welcome, but if you know that what is offered isn't to your liking then we'll see you next time!

Here is some advice on eating at a Chinese banquet I read on another forum, do you agree?

If you have not attended a Chinese banquet before, here are a few pointers.

* Pace yourself and don’t fill up too quickly. Save room for all (the) courses.

* Remember that you are sharing with (many) other people; do not hog food. Take a small portion the first time a dish is offered and return for a second serving if you particularly like something.

* White rice is considered an inexpensive filler and does not belong on the banquet table. Do not embarrass yourself or be rude to your hosts by asking for plain rice.

* The youngest person at the table should serve the elders first before taking anything for him or herself. As I used to say when I was younger, “age before beauty.”

feel free to ignore some of the more idiotic post(er)s.

I resemble that remark, Rachel! (besides how could I miss an opportunity to tweak tommy)

But being serious for a moment, silkqin, (and its hard for me to do that) its my belief that eGulleteers won't get into food ordering squables for several reasons:

1.) We frequently try to get a set menu, for a set price, ahead of time, and its presented here.  If you don't see anything you like you either speak up at that point and request it, or opt out of that particular gathering.

2.) We generally aren't the types to argue in that situation.  I'm not saying people here don't argue (oh boy, do they), but not when sitting with each other in a restaurant.

3.) Yes, the food is shared at a Chinese restaurant.  But that means that there is a large enough selection for everyone to fill themselves.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

" The youngest person at the table should serve the elders first before taking anything for him or herself."

THERE IS NO WAY--ABSOLUTELY NO WAY THAT I AM GOING TO SERVE TOMMY FIRST.

judging by the way i came out in those pictures ken robinson took, it looks like i should be eating first!  they say the camera puts 20 years on you, right????

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder to please RSVP for this dinner by March 31st.

So far the following people have said they are coming:

Alan and Sandy Levine

Jon Lurie

Jason and Rachel Perlow

Paul and Dee Reis

Lou Reda

Lowell and Rosie Saferstein

Mark Stevens

Tommy and the Mrs. (aka Diane)

I look forward to seeing you all (and hopefully some more people) on April 7th!