• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Vacation

lala

If you were to go anywhere in the US for a vacation with great food, where would you go, and why? I'm looking for an area to keep me amused for a week (you know, scenery, museums, etc.), with lots of lucious local specialties (not necessarily expensive, just good local stuff), in September. Where do you go for this type of vacation - city, country, seashore, it doesn't matter! (Excluding New Orleans - I've already got that one penciled in for next March!)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

The question is, where don't you go. You can find that in most every state. Even New Jersey. :smile:

My first two pics would be the upper extremes of the continental U.S. - Maine or Washington. Next the Carolina's if they can count as one state.

I'll often pick a state and drive around it for a week or two. Haven't been stumped yet.

But if I had to pick one, especially in September when the summer folk have departed, Maine.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

And the survey says: SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. Unparalled in the United States for culinary/cultural/aesthetic/entertainment opportunities and more. The scenery is gorgeous, and foodwise, well, it's Eden out here.

Branch out. Spend a night in Monterey/Carmel area, a night in Santa Cruz, three nights in SF, and two nights in the Napa/Sonoma area.

Or split it in half somehow.

What did I win?

Edited by tanabutler (log)

OH... I should say, I live in Washington state.... sorry... :wink:

...she says, munching on her local strawberries, after eating the copper river salmon with dungeness crab, anxiously awaiting the rainier cherries which should be arriving this week...

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

Lala,

september is (potentially) a gorgeous time to visit the east coast. it's crisp - and if you luck into a "real" fall, the stained glass canopies of trees are dazzling. chicago - again - with luck is also a wonderful spot for fall. I'm not sure where you're from - but I miss fall in DC living in the west. however - if you're driving there (vs flying there and then driving) then i second the SF suggestion - there are some very cool stopping points along the way from here.

edit: grammar

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

And the survey says: SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. Unparalled in the United States for culinary/cultural/aesthetic/entertainment opportunities and more. The scenery is gorgeous, and foodwise, well, it's Eden out here.

Branch out. Spend a night in Monterey/Carmel area, a night in Santa Cruz, three nights in SF, and two nights in the Napa/Sonoma area.

Or split it in half somehow.

What did I win?

This is an absolute no brainer. You can get the cosmopolitan life, small towns, cheap eats, incredible scenery -- all within a few hours drive.

May I join you??? :smile:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ok, I see I need to give more info...I grew up in Southern Michigan (Ann Arbor), and also lived in SF for 7 years, but I'm not ruling out Northern CA, 'cause it's so damn beautiful (wineries, spas, cheeses...yep, that's a good time!)... and I'm absolutely willing to fly anywhere, then drive...

great suggestions, so far...please keep 'em coming! :biggrin:

I'd say D.C. area. Some great restaurants, especially if you consider Baltimore close enough to spend some days there, some of the best museums anywhere, lots of history, and Baltimore certainly has its own special culture.

It will likely be a bit warm and muggy in September however.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Ok, I see I need to give more info...I grew up in Southern Michigan (Ann Arbor), and also lived in SF for 7 years, but I'm not ruling out Northern CA, 'cause it's so damn beautiful (wineries, spas, cheeses...yep, that's a good time!)... and I'm absolutely willing to fly anywhere, then drive...

great suggestions, so far...please keep 'em coming! :biggrin:

Oh. :unsure: Well, then, why not Seattle and Vancouver?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Southern California/Baja.

Think about it, you can eat absolutely ANY cuisine, go to the beach, see amazing museums (from the Getty in LA to the Norton Simon in Pasadena to Balboa Park in San Diego).

I would say 3 days in Los Angeles, 2 days in San Diego, and 2 days in Baja.

In LA you could do the touristy things that include seafood at Gladstones in Malibu, but Melrose and Hollywood. The BEST Japanese food outside of Tokyo is in Gardena. Then drive down the coast...

Orange County has some lovely hidden hamlets. If you head to Laguna Beach, you can hit the Sawdust Festival (depending on your timeline).

Then on to San Diego - drive down the coast, through Encinitas and Del Mar. A night in the Gaslamp district for great food and late-night jazz is great fun.

Lastly, head down past TJ and into Rosarito beach for the best Fish Tacos in the world. Laze on the beach and drink margaritas.

I think I should win....

great suggestions, so far...please keep 'em coming!  :biggrin:

I live in Seattle... and while I have nothing against Vancouver, I want to go somewhere new... Although the Okanagon Valley may be a possibility...

great suggestions, so far...please keep 'em coming!   :biggrin:

I live in Seattle... and while I have nothing against Vancouver, I want to go somewhere new... Although the Okanagon Valley may be a possibility...

I quit. :wacko:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

great suggestions, so far...please keep 'em coming!   :biggrin:

I quit. :wacko:

waaaaiiit a minute :shock: ...don't diss me because I don't want to vacation in my own town ( I did say I live in Washington state, fourth post down)!! I don't think it's unreasonable to want to get AWAY for a week...

The list so far:

Maine

Carolinas

SF/Wine country/Mid coast

Chicago

DC/Baltimore

Southern Cal/Baja

There are some places that I hadn't considered before, and I really appreciate the suggestions...keep 'em coming!

Edited by lala (log)

If it were me, I would head for an area well known for cuisine that I don't know much about or haven't experienced "the real thing" whatever that may be. I know that may sound like a cop out, but really, there is a lot of stuff out there. Hooray for all of our immigrant and native ancestors.

If I had to pick somewhere for you to go, I would recommend the East Coast, top or bottom, or the Southwest, because you seem to have the other regions covered. Or maybe Montana. I never hear about anyone going to Montana for the food.

If you hit the East Coast on top, I would recommend a few ferry trips out to a couple of the islands, and perhaps a cross into Canada.

I can't think of a place in the U.S. that wouldn't be great in September, especially after Labor Day, when pretty much every museum in the country would be thrilled to have you - until the field trips start at the end of the month.

Have a great trip!

--adoxograph

If it were me, I would head for an area well known for cuisine that I don't know much about or haven't experienced "the real thing" whatever that may be. I know that may sound like a cop out, but really, there is a lot of stuff out there. Hooray for all of our immigrant and native ancestors.

If you hit the East Coast on top, I would recommend a few ferry trips out to a couple of the islands, and perhaps a cross into Canada.

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to do!

As for 'East Coast on top'...where do you mean, Maine? And what islands? Do tell, sounds interesting.... are we talking lobstah here?

ok-

i'll show my bias. if you plan it out right you can fly in newark or jfk on the day after labor day which is late this year. pop out to the east end of long island but go to the north fork or shelter island to stay(the latter only accessible by ferry boat). explore greenport- old port town or sag harbor - whaling museum here or east hampton - clinton academy, home sweet home, etc. and tour the wineries on the north shore. pugilese (for sparkling pinot noir), osprey's dominion, and paumanok are the equal of lenz, etc though less well known. if you time it right you can hit nj up on 12 sept for the second annual pig roast (see here http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=42256). then up through warwick and florida and cruise up to catskill on 9. mexican radio across the way in hudson (http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=33433&hl=), visit thomas cole's house and studio or olana which was church's home. coach farms is a bit north in chatham, red hook and rhinebeck are loaded with good food - terrapin now in rhinebeck, foster's coach house on sundays for their hot steak sandwiches, of course cia in hyde park or the hyde park brewing company. val-kill, eleanor roosevelt's retreat, roosevelt's home, vanderbilt mansion, locust hill which was samuel f b morse's home in poughkeepsie, millbrook winery and allyn's or dervin o'brien's in millbrook proper. then back down to sleepy hollow(formerly tarrytown) kiykut - the rockerfeller estate, washington irving's sunnyside the barn? - sorry can't find the link in the new york thread- then back to the city for a day or to and back home. :biggrin:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I don't think I would go to just one area for a food trip...I would go to a lot of places...but I think that a good, one city trip would be NYC...cuz you can get a nice blend of cuisines all in walking distance of each other.

BUT, I REALLY want to go to Chicago and eat at Trio...several people have said it was one of the best experiences of their lives...not just a meal, an experience.

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

New Mexico is a wonderful place to visit and it has a unique New Mexican cuisine---delicious fresh green chiles made into sauces or stews, carne adovades (red chile rubbed slow cooked pork or beef), sopapillas (deep fried turnovers filled w/honey to eat w/spicy food), natillas pudding, calabacitas, posole etc. As I simply understand it, much of it derives from the original spanish settlers and then evolved with local ingredients and time. As New Mexico was quite isolated before WWII it has maintained a distinctiveness that separates it from say Arizona or Texas--and even, I've been told, from some Mexican cuisine. I think if anything it is closest Northern Mexican cooking though.

Also lots of 'high end' interpretations of the cuisine in Santa Fe as well as all types of good restaurants. Also lots of great old fashioned retro diner type food in Albuquerque (which I also love).

Encompassing Abq, Santa Fe and Taos is easy without too much driving--although there are lots scenic and interesting routes to take. The "High Road" between Santa Fe and Taos is incredible--small villages whose descendants are from the times of the Spanish. Two lovely routes from Abq to Santa Fe as well and both have a few neat places to check out food/drink wise-including old saloons. The Turquoise Trail goes thru old silver and gold mining towns. Another route goes through the spectacular Jemez mountains. Of course there's lot of great museums, art and shopping in Santa Fe as well. In Abq, a gondol ride up to the 10,000 foot Sandia Mountains gives an incredible view. The mountains have a 5000 foot sheer granite face that borders on Abq (at 5000 feet). Once you're up there it seems like you can see all the way to Arizona.

Could also head up to Durango in Southern Colorado and then swing back through N.E. New Mexico and check out the Anasazi ruins at Chaco Canyon. Again, depending on time, could also go over to Mesa Verde.

Lots of beautiful places for day hikes as well.

It's a great place for a road trip with all the great food and spectactular and changing vistas while driving. If you're not familiar with it, the area north of Santa Fe is very mountainous--with a 14000 footer near Taso.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

All this reminds me -- a good friend of mine made a four-month road trip of "The Rim of America." He literally drove as close to the edge of the country as was possible in a 1950-something MGA, eating and breaking down often.

He had a book deal on the trip but it fell through. While doing it, though, he would e-mail his adventures and culinary finds on the way. I cherish those e-mails and oft-wished I could have road along.

All this reminds me -- a good friend of mine made a four-month road trip of "The Rim of America." He literally drove as close to the edge of the country as was possible in a 1950-something MGA, eating and breaking down often.

He had a book deal on the trip but it fell through. While doing it, though, he would e-mail his adventures and culinary finds on the way. I cherish those e-mails and oft-wished I could have road along.

To hell with one week off....I want to take that trip!!!

I'd be tempted by the mid-West, hoping that includes Chicago. (Slightly geographically impaired.) Never been, but I keep hearing and reading about the wonderful restaurants and local specialties.

Kansas City for bbq?

Family visited Atlanta, Charlotte and Savannah - thought the food was very good, the history, architecture, sociability (?), and ambiance were great. Wished they had more time.

I'd love another trip to Montreal and Quebec. Wonderful food markets, bakeries, architecture, art, gardens...and I'm sure restaurants - I wasn't there for the food, unfortunately. (edit to add - I know, not in the U.S., but on the same continent at least!)

Edited by tsquare (log)

Top half of the East Coast (from my New England born biased POV) is New England and up into Canada. Islands include Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket and oh yes, there is lobster. Route 1 is a nice drive in parts, especially once the tourists go away. Hit the Cape (Provincetown), some great eats in Boston and Maine. Day trip up to Burlington, Vermon, look for Champy in the lake, cross over into upstate NY if you like. Bring home maple sugar candy, some proper cranberries, and skip the McLobster Roll. :)

--adoxograph

I vote for So.Calif./Baja also. L. A. and environs (love that word) has some of the most diverse food anywhere in the U.S. Not to mention the many attractions.

I could spend a month just visiting restaurants I would like to try for breakfast, lunch and dinner - and I live in the area.

On the way to San Diego there are several small towns that have attractive places with great food.

San Diego has some great restaurants and great attractions. If you want to splurge on a great place to stay with absolutely grand food, consider the Del Coranado - The "Del" was the place that the movie "Some Like It Hot" was filmed.

I have stayed there many times and have never been disappointed.

Heading north from L.A. along the seacoast you come to Malibu and some great restaurants, great scenery.

Santa Barbara, besides being the new home of Julia, has just about every type of food you could want, very few duds.

If you could go in July you could visit in time for the French Festival and/or Greek Festival which are both fantastic events. And for the horse lovers, the Santa Barbara National Horse Show.

September sees the Oktoberfest and even better, the Santa Barbara Jazz festival.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow. I was looking for a few ideas, to get me kick-started and out of my comfort zone (read: Rut). There are some terrific ideas here, and I've been surfing for a couple of hours now, based on what's been suggested so far. There's such a community of passionate people here - I love it! :wub:

Edited by lala (log)

lala, ludja took the words right out of my fingers!

i would like to wholeheartedly rec santa fe. gorgeous. tons of stuff to do. (and i do mean tons) and really some of the yummiest food ever!

if you pick santa fe, please let me know and i will hook you up with my fave places (including the groovies b & b. if i could afford it, i would move there tomorrow. well, actually i would move to red river, but there really arent that many food options in red river, so i wont rec it as a destination, but it would make an excellent day trip!

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley