• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza near BC

My youngest brother is going to be a freshman at Boston College in the fall and I want to make sure he has his supply of good pizza all lined up (being the food obsessed older brother that I am). I don't know anything about the area, so if anyone has any sugegstions I would greatly appreciate them. (And I'm sure he would too)

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

You realize you're speaking of college students. They have a different frame of reference. But anyway, my daughter and son-in-law were '95 graduates. I aksed them to comment and my lovely daughter (that has 2 small childeren mind you) said, 'SCREW THE PIZZA, WING-IT". There's a wing joint down Comm Ave that had her credit card number written on the wall cause she ordered so often.

Also, her being a Prime Rib freak, a treat was to take her to Durgin Park.

Another suggestion (non-food), if you brother is musically inclined and doesn't mind a little work, encourage him to join the marching/pep band. Guaranteed seat at all the games, football, hockey and basketball. Some travel too, bowl games and Big East. Maybe a bride too. My son-in-law was Trumpet and daughter was Sousaphone.

You realize you're speaking of college students.  They have a different frame of reference.  But anyway, my daughter and son-in-law were '95 graduates. I aksed them to comment and my lovely daughter (that has 2 small childeren mind you) said, 'SCREW THE PIZZA, WING-IT".  There's a wing joint down Comm Ave that had her credit card number written on the wall cause she ordered so often. 

Also, her being a Prime Rib freak, a treat was to take her to Durgin Park. 

Another suggestion (non-food), if you brother is musically inclined and doesn't mind a little work, encourage him to join the marching/pep band.  Guaranteed seat at all the games, football, hockey and basketball. Some travel too, bowl games and Big East.  Maybe a bride too.  My son-in-law was Trumpet and daughter was Sousaphone.

Wings he could definitely do...thanks for the suggestion. Your lovely daughter with 2 small children and the fine sense of vocabulary ( :biggrin: ) doesn't happen to know the name of the place, does she?

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I'm tempted to say the area near BC is a culinary wasteland.

For middle of the road slices, there's Roggie's (ROE-GHEES), and down the corner from there, two spots: Pino's and Presto's -- one's Greek, one's Italian, though I can't remember which.

For a better pie, there's the Bluestone Bistro on Comm. Ave.

My favorite is in Newton: Sweet Tomatoes. They use fresh tomatoes instead of sauce, and they have tons of interesting toppings.

Also, on Harvard Street in Brookline (a short T ride away) there's The Upper Crust, which is supposed to be good. It's new.

By the way, I'm a BU grad who also, once upon a time, lived in Brookline.

Hope this helps.

Also, if he likes Mexican, Anna's Taqueria is great. They have locations on Beacon St. and Harvard Ave. Cheap and filling and very yummy.

Now I'm hungry and homesick for Boston!

Food in and around BC is not very good. Most students prefer a liquid diet, particularly on the weekends which tend to begin on Thursday.

The best quick cheap food I have found in the area is La Rotisserie in the Chestnut Hill Mall, a small hole in the wall largely take-out with a few tables for eating in. They claim to be French, but still the spit-roasted chicken, roast lamb, roast potatoes, beans, mashed sweet potato and so forth are edible. I don't care for the spare ribs and the roast beef and turkey tend to be dry and over cooked. Nothing great, but better than BC Dining Services.

One of the best sushi places in the Boston area is also nearby: Oishii, on Hammond St. near the corner of Boyslton St./Route 9. I find their toro superb.

Legal Seafood produces corporate standardized food of a consistent and acceptable quality -- certainly better than HoJo's when it was in business.

Generally the food in the Chestnut Hill Mall area is better than that in the Cleveland Circle student ghetto.

In general I don't find Boston pizza as good as Providence or New Haven.

Pino's is hands-down the best pizza close to BC, for traditional (i.e, non-gourmet) pizza....1920 Beacon St, 617-566-6468, AND they deliver to BC...How do I have all this info at my fingertips? :cool:

I had a late lunch, and needed a late-nite slice after the Sopranos; it was on my route home....I don't usually hit it much, because it's not my nabe,but it's damned good...Oh, and they're open til midnite on Sunday, and 1 AM all other nites...Gottah love it! There's better pizza in Boston, fer sure, but you have to go further into town...Me, I had a cheese slice right out of the oven...sweetish tomato sauce, lots of salty cheese, well-risen edge to the crust...I also had to have a Neapolitan (square) slice, cuz they had broccoli...I'm saving it for breakfast, but it was crispy on the edges, yet the doughiness melted in my mouth...Surprisinlgy good..

I'm not a fan of the Upper Crust, In Coolidge Corner, and almost never go there...I'm invariably dissapointed...It always smells like its gonnah be great, but never has much taste...Their curst always seems like the yeast is dead; no lift in the puter edge...