• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanks so much for the great presentation. My question:

I love the stuffed bean-curd skins they serve at Dim Sum. I used to be able to buy bean curd skins at my local asian market but here in the midwest they never seem to carry them. Are these the same as Yuba? If so, is there a way to preserve the skins for at least a day or two until you are ready to use them?

Thanks so much for the great presentation. My question:

I love the stuffed bean-curd skins they serve at Dim Sum. I used to be able to buy bean curd skins at my local asian market but here in the midwest they never seem to carry them. Are these the same as Yuba? If so, is there a way to preserve the skins for at least a day or two until you are ready to use them?

http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_1.cfm?alp...rtno=1&endno=25

Yuba and bean curd skins are the same thing, except that yuba is fresh and soft. Bean curd skins are dried so they need to be soaked into water before cooking, or deep fried then cooked in some kind of liquid, it depends on your recipe.

They make bean curd skins by drying fresh yuba........ so if you are trying to find bean curd skins, might be worth the effort to dry them. I really need an hour of spare time and some soya milk to try fresh yuba.

I have to admit that before I decided to teach this class I had never made yuba at home before and honestly I had never even considered it. Yuba is incredibly expensive in Japan and I thought that you needed to have the skill of a professional tofu maker to do it. I was pleasantly surprised at just how easy (though time consuming :biggrin: ) it was. An hour may sound like a long time but I am often in the kitchen for that long making dinner anyway. Other times did it while I was cleaning the house, I just went back into the kitchen every couple minutes or so. One day I was tired of being in the house and I made the yuba while I was outside talking to neighbors, I would run back in the house every 5 minutes or so a couple times the yuba had almost lifted out of the pan forming a tent! :shock: , it was slightly drier than the others but good nontheless.

One thing I still haven't gotten quite good at is getting the yuba to come off in a perfectly formed circle, the way it is served, sort of layered in a bowl it doesn't really matter but if you want to use it for other cooking applications, or for drying you may need to practice a bit.

Yuba really tastes best eaten soon after making and I wouldn't recommend keeping homemade yuba more than 24 hours. If you plan to eat it without further cooking and want to hold it for a couple hours I would suggest covering it with the left over soy milk from the pan and then refrigerating it so it doesn't dry out

I have never tried to dry out fresh yuba so I am not sure how long it takes but it could require a good deal of counter space, the best thing for drying would probably be a bamboo dish like strainer, I am not sure how just something like papertowels would work.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

One thing I still haven't gotten quite good at is getting the yuba to come off in a perfectly formed circle, the way it is served, sort of layered in a bowl it doesn't really matter but if you want to use it for other cooking applications, or for drying you may need to practice a bit.

Sounds like just the sort of delicate task I would absolutely suck at. Though it also sounds weird enough that it would be fun to try.

I have never tried to dry out fresh yuba so I am not sure how long it takes but it could require a good deal of counter space, the best thing for drying would probably be a bamboo dish like strainer, I am not sure how just something like papertowels would work.

I wonder if you would dry them the way vietnamese ricepaper wraps are done. On a basket (or maybe a linen towel?) in the sun (aka slow oven?)

I wonder if you would dry them the way vietnamese ricepaper wraps are done. On a basket (or maybe a linen towel?) in the sun (aka slow oven?)

That sounds like a good idea.

I have been searching the internet (both English and Japanese) for info on dring yuba/bean curd skins and have come up empty.... :sad:

torakris is not the only viewer; I should have added some more information. Here it is:

The home page of the website (Yubatora 湯葉寅):

http://www.yubatora.com/index.html

How to make (lift) fresh yuba:

http://www.yubatora.com/hiki.htm

Manufacturing process:

http://www.yubatora.com/seizou.htm

Interesting, but I still think yuba is a specialty of Kyoto, expensive, and not worth buying. I prefer fu. I like almost all other soy products, though.

• 3 weeks later...
That was a wondeful class!  Will you be doing a part II?  I would love to see your recipe for mabodofu if you have one!

This is how we make it at home:

Chop these finely:

1 scallion

~2 cloves of garlic

1-2 quarter-sized pieces of ginger

1 teaspoon dried fermented black beans

For the sauce, mix:

1 cup chicken stock

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons sherry or white wine

.5 teaspoon sugar

cornstarch dissolved in water (I think about a tablespoon of cornstarch is enough)

2 teaspoons sesame oil (or to taste)

You'll also need some chile paste--I use "chile paste with garlic," but anything similar would be fine. And of course tofu!

In a wok over high heat, add a bit of oil. When the oil is hot, add the scallion, garlic, ginger, and black beans. Cook briefly (maybe ~30-60 seconds), then add the chile paste. Stir a couple times, then add the tofu and sauce mixture. Heat till it boils, then turn it down and simmer covered for 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the cornstarch solution, then add the sesame oil, give it a stir, and serve. Because the tofu is fairly wet and you're adding over a cup of liquid, this can be very soup-y if you don't add enough cornstarch, so I'd suggest being fairly liberal with the stuff.

If you want some meat in it, velvetted or ground pork is excellent--just add it before the tofu. You could also add an egg, chopped carrots and/or peas, or whatever you have in your fridge.

For those of us just getting into Japanese cooking (god bless the Okonomiyaki thread!), I'm curious about longevity:

What is the shelf-life of hiya yakko? I prepared a kaiseki meal for guests almost two weeks ago and have quite a bit of the tofu left. I've been changing the water every other day, but am still debating how to finish it off.

Thanks so much Kris!

Wonderful class! I have read over and over again that fresh tofu is far superior to the kind in a package surrounded with water, but can't find fresh anywhere near me. Now to try making some and compare :smile:

One question - my family loves inari sushi, but aburage is really expensive here and seems like it would be simple to make. Would you simply drain firm tofu very thoroughly, slice maybe 1/4 inch thick, then fry in oil? Have you ever tried this?

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

For those of us just getting into Japanese cooking (god bless the Okonomiyaki thread!), I'm curious about longevity:

What is the shelf-life of hiya yakko? I prepared a kaiseki meal for guests almost two weeks ago and have quite a bit of the tofu left. I've been changing the water every other day, but am still debating how to finish it off.

Thanks so much Kris!

Even changing the water daily, tofu has quite a short shelf life normally about 3 to 5 days, about 7 at the absolute max. I would give it a taste, it may no longer be good. Even if still tastes ok, I would only use it in cooked dishes.

Wonderful class! I have read over and over again that fresh tofu is far superior to the kind in a package surrounded with water, but can't find fresh anywhere near me. Now to try making some and compare :smile:

One question - my family loves inari sushi, but aburage is really expensive here and seems like it would be simple to make. Would you simply drain firm tofu very thoroughly, slice maybe 1/4 inch thick, then fry in oil? Have you ever tried this?

You can make aburage at home, but I haven't had very good luck with it. :blink:

The tofu need to be weighted down for a while to get rid or as much water as possible and then sliced into thinnner than 1/4 inch slices. You then deep fry it twice, first at a low temperature and then raise it higher so it get a nice browned color, in all it takes about 10 to 12 minutes.

I had problems getting good pockets in it.....

I'll at least give it a try and see how it comes out. Wouldn't have thought to fry it twice, but that makes a lot of sense. If I am somehow able to get the proper pockets, I'll report back!

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

• 3 months later...

I bought some Koya- dofu today and made simmered sukiyaki beef with it, along with carrots, enoki, chinese cabage and vermicelli... i was just wondering if there were any other uses or any other recipes that you might have? I really enjoyed the texture and tonight was the first time i cooked and tried it.... :grin:

Btw, congratulation on the wonderful and extensive research you did! It was very helpful and inspiring!

koya-dofu is used mostly in simmered dishes, it can also be deep fried before simmering for a slightly different taste. It can also be used in the tamago toji style where is is first simmered in a seasoned broth and then eggs are added and allowed to set around it. If you are unfamiliar with this technigue look at this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...st=0&p=535935

I describe it in more detail there.

• 3 months later...

excellent course!

does anyone know what the actual chemical name of the bittern (nigari) is that is used to coagulate the soy milk? is it maybe magnesium chloride? i have heard it referred to as what remains after sea salt is removed and purified from sea water. i ask this because i am having problems finding it.

thanks!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

A bit about nigari from here

Natural calcium sulfate (gypsum) and magnesium chloride (nigari) are the most common tofu coagulant used. They have been used for hundreds years in Japan and China. Nigari is composed mainly of magnesium chloride, but also contains other minerals found in sea water except most of the sodium chloride (sea salt). Gypsum is a naturally occurring calcium sulfate.

more information can be found in the nigari thread

• 1 month later...
excellent course!

does anyone know what the actual chemical name of the bittern (nigari) is that is used to coagulate the soy milk? is it maybe magnesium chloride? i have heard it referred to as what remains after sea salt is removed and purified from sea water. i ask this because i am having problems finding it.

thanks!

OK, thanks Kristin! :smile:

so i found some nigari (tofu coagulant = bittern), and it is magnesium chloride, and i have my soybeans.

questions:

--do i dissolve the crystal MgCl in the equivalent amount of water that is in your original tofu recipe?

--are there any standout recipes i should make with the soybean pulp/lees after draining the milk? i've heard it's widely used in Korean stews, and is called "combini" or something in Korean...

--does the amount of coagulant, as well as the amount of draining, determine how firm the tofu is?

thanks for any answers in advance, and i'm sorry if i'm repeating questions (hope not).

gus

--Isak Dinesen

excellent course!

thanks!

OK, thanks Kristin! :smile:

so i found some nigari (tofu coagulant = bittern), and it is magnesium chloride, and i have my soybeans.

questions:

--do i dissolve the crystal MgCl in the equivalent amount of water that is in your original tofu recipe?

--are there any standout recipes i should make with the soybean pulp/lees after draining the milk? i've heard it's widely used in Korean stews, and is called "combini" or something in Korean...

--does the amount of coagulant, as well as the amount of draining, determine how firm the tofu is?

thanks for any answers in advance, and i'm sorry if i'm repeating questions (hope not).

gus

Gus,

I have only worked with the liquid stuff, but I found this (answers your third question as well :biggrin: ):

Prepare coagulant – dissolve either one teaspoon Nigari (natural magnesium chloride) or two teaspoons natural calcium sulfate in one cup of warm water. Less coagulant produces softer tofu, More produces harder tofu.

from here

as to the soybean pulp/lees, this is called okara in Japanese and I gave one simple recipe in the soy class but doing a search on okara recipes

on google gives many results of both Asian style dishes as well as western ones and baked goods...

thanks very much, Kristin! :smile:

this is my last question, i promise:

:biggrin:

say you start soaking your beans, then you realize you can't make the tofu (because you don't have time) for 2-3 days--will they be okay if you keep on rinsing and changing the water, or should you start over?

like is there such a thing as "over-soaking" the beans?

--Isak Dinesen

thanks very much, Kristin!  :smile:

this is my last question, i promise:

:biggrin:

say you start soaking your beans, then you realize you can't make the tofu (because you don't have time) for 2-3 days--will they be okay if you keep on rinsing and changing the water, or should you start over?

like is there such a thing as "over-soaking" the beans?

I have never needed to do this so I am not really sure, but I did find this on the internet (it was about black beans but I am sure it would work for soy beans as well):

While most recipes call for soaking your beans before cooking them, don't oversoak your beans. When left too long in standing water, they begin to ferment, which is fine if you want to prepare a fermented black bean cake, but it's not conducive to most other recipes. A good solution is to wash the beans thoroughly in cold water and drain. Then cover the beans with boiling water and leave about 2 inches of water on top. The beans will be ready in about two hours when you can drain them and store them in the refrigerator until you're ready to use them.

You can freeze your beans after you soak them, which lets you prepare a large batch and then save individual or family-sized portions. Just be sure to drain the beans thoroughly and get as much air out of the plastic bag as possible before putting them in the freezer.

from here

• 2 weeks later...

another question about the coalgulant nigari

i never seen it in London but we make tofu using Plaster of paris.

This is what i was told to use by my mother when making tofu pudding and we can buy packets of it in our chinese supermarket.

thing is as its a old chinese recipe its not really measured and its pretty much guess work with teh plaster of paris

anyone got a more precise recipe?

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

another question about the coalgulant nigari

i never seen it in London but we make tofu using Plaster of paris.

This is what i was told to use by my mother when making tofu pudding and we can buy packets of it in our chinese supermarket.

thing is as its a old chinese recipe its not really measured and its pretty much guess work with teh plaster of paris

anyone got a more precise recipe?

the only thing I could find was this...

it isn't very precise though.

Maybe try it in the same proportions I give for nigari?