• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lost in translation

Fascinating article - thanks so much for posting that link. I'd agree that there's a bit of prestige-lingo in the coffee arena that may be borrowed from oenophiles but in many cases it's so directly applicable that to some of us (me at least), it mkaes sense. After thirty years of drinking coffee, the last four or five being at a greatly heightened level of awareness and appreciation, I still find it difficult to muster up the vocabulary to adequately describe the characteristics of many varietals. It's even tougher with espresso blends as they often have multiple layers of complexity in the flavor profiles.

I did learn a new wine word/concept recently that is perfect for explaining to people why all coffees from a given area are not created equal (e.g. there are great Kona coffees and others that are just average to very good). That is "terroir" - the effect of soil, altitude, placement etc that makes specific plots of land much more suitable for a given crop that another nearby plot might be.

• 3 years later...

I was visiting a new English shop in my hometown of Haddonfield, NJ. when I encountered the following products on the shelf.

gallery_660_4898_319713.jpg

Most of us are familiar with Chocolate. Treacle is a "vocabulary word" for us but not so unusual except on menus here. But what on earth could that third one be?

Reminds me of Coca Cola's slogan "Drink Coca Cola" translated into Mandarin but with the wrong tones coming out as "Bite the wax tadpole", or why the Chevy No Va didn't sell well in Mexico or why Vick's of vaporub fame had to modify the name in Germany. Or even the the confusion of the bloke who suggested to the American woman that he "knock her up" in the morning.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

You've never heard of Double Devon Cream?

Surely, you can't be talking about the Spotted Dick, because it's a rather famous and well-known English dessert. Even I know about it, and I've never even had it.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 4 years later...

Yesterday we visited a wonderful Acadian bakery in Shediac, New Brunswick, Canada. Pretty sure it's a one-of-a-kind family business, based on the faces and ages of the workers. We bought lots including a buttery donutty item called Pets Soeur. In English that would be Nun Farts.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

SylviaLovegren, they were exquisite. They looked like this and smelt delish.

083a.jpg

Moe Sizlack

I heard that Ben & Jerry's tried to sell Chunky Monkey ice cream in Japan, and that it never took off because it translated into "Chunks of Monkey". Myth?

Moe Sizlack

Hello, I am German, and we have regions (bordering France!) who have baked items which would translate in english into Nuns' farts (german Nonnenfürze). They are similar to doughnuts, but not quite, as there are differences in the ingredients.

Interesting. My bakery translated the item to "Nun Farts" but now I'm thinking it could easily be "Sister Farts". Either way, it's an unfortunate name for such a delicasy.

Moe Sizlack

Hello, I am German, and we have regions (bordering France!) who have baked items which would translate in english into Nuns' farts (german Nonnenfürze). They are similar to doughnuts, but not quite, as there are differences in the ingredients.

Interesting. My bakery translated the item to "Nun Farts" but now I'm thinking it could easily be "Sister Farts". Either way, it's an unfortunate name for such a delicasy.

Sister/nun is often the same word in many languages. Still as you said an unfortunate name for what appears to be a greasy crispy sweet treat

SylviaLovegren, they were exquisite. They looked like this and smelt delish.

The texture looks sorta like that of things called crullers or French doughnuts in the States. (And I could see why Americans would call them French doughnuts rather than Nuns' Farts!). Anyone have any experience with both items?

There are a number of Ecuadorian things with names that lose in translation; one of my faves is a pile of lightly poached lupines with chifles (plantain chips), tostado, popcorn, and finely sliced onion and tomato with tuna fish on top. It's called a Volquetero, which translates as "Dump-trucker."

Another great one is Chugchucara, which is generous chunks of back bacon fried until crispy in their own fat with panela and spices. That comes out as "Holy crap, an earthquake!" when you translate it.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Yesterday we visited a wonderful Acadian bakery in Shediac, New Brunswick, Canada. Pretty sure it's a one-of-a-kind family business, based on the faces and ages of the workers. We bought lots including a buttery donutty item called Pets Soeur. In English that would be Nun Farts.

As Christina Potters explains in Mexico the Woodland Puffball (Lycoperdon Perlatum) is called Pedos de Burro (Donkey Farts)... what if we could get Nun & Donkey farts together in the same pastry.... well I am sure there has to be a Pepito joke that involves Nuns & Donkeys anyway... oh no to let... image emblazoned into my eyeballs is probably... must... exit... thread... to.... save... civilization..

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2008/09/la-feria-del-hongo-en-senguio-michoac%C3%A1n-the-mushroom-fair-in-senguio-michoac%C3%A1n.html

Edited by EatNopales (log)

One of my favourite dishes in my local restaurant here in southern China has a dish which I can only translate from the Chinese as "Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrant Bones." (外婆飘香骨).

It is Sichuan style spare ribs in a mountain of chillis. If you know the popular dish Sichuan dish "la zi ji (辣子鸡)", then just substitute chopped ribs for the chicken.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

And then there's the opposite - things which sound worse in the original language, like the steamed puddings "drowned baby" and "spotted dick".

Makes Grandma's fluttering bones sound positively delightful!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Pocari Sweat has to sound better in Japanese than it does in English...or maybe it just sounds more appealing if you only speak Japanese and not English :laugh: ...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown