• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Go back in time

Tell us.. what did you take to school... all those moons ago

Made the Biiig mistake of telling my mother I liked Liverwurst sandwiches in my lunch...

They were in my lunches from freshman to junior year of high school...Senior year I got a job, so I had some money in my pocket to buy from school cafeteria...

Not quite what you were looking for, I'd guess, but you asked... :biggrin:

BTW, I have since rediscovered Liverwurst, and enjoys it, OCCASIONALY...

i went to boarding school in india for a long time, and then to a school in hyderabad for 2 years which served lunch--everything was horrible with the signal exceptions of the buttermilk, achars and sambhars. but from my early childhood my memories seem to be of jam-sandwiches (good old kisan mixed-fruit) and occasionally cold french toast (yum!). later when i worked in advertizing in delhi i used to tantalize my co-workers (who mostly got dabbas from our receptionist's sister's business!) with elaborate 5 bowl-thermos container bengali lunches. at worst i'd have anda-parathas with hot nimbu achar.

by the way no one in india has a lunch-box. tiffin-box is what it is called. after all we were colonized by the english, not the yanks.

arree baba.... okay then tiffin boxes it is. Since you "got" what I was asking for.. I think its okay!

Yes,, they are called tiffin boxes. Mongo is right. I like to call them lunch boxes.. Take your pick :laugh::raz::raz:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Bague, could you please translate that into something a non-Indian American might understand? Thanks. :laugh:

Wait, is dabba the lunch the messengers deliver? And they're called dabbawallas?

Michael aka "Pan"

When I was really small my tiffin would have:

Puris with sugar sprinkled and folded in half.

Puris with potato wedges.

When I grew up, sometimes I would walk home and spend my bus money on Irani samosas( Patti samosas) which are made of thin crisp casing with a spiced onion and cabbage stuffing. They were served with a tamarind, jaggery and red chilli powder watery chatni, something that I cant replicate at all.

After so many years I have unearthed them in Bangalore( Rs. 2.50 per) and make it a point to drive by, park at a distance and walk across to eat them. I still haven't grown up after all.

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I used to have the usual Gujerati stuff... Chakris, Laddus, Dhoklas, Ganthias

When my maternal grandmother baby sat me I got Sugar Sandwiches or ketchup sandwiches. (drooling) They were basically White bread with Amul butter and sugar / ketchup. By the time i got to eating them sugar had melted into the butter. Going to make myself one after I post this!

Indian Maggi Massalla flavour or chicken flavour with lots of pepper. I dropped soooo many pencils to sneak bites on days that I had maggi, that by the time lucnh came around the box was empty.

I too went to boarding school and tiffin boxes were then over. Though the mess served decent food that i still get cravings for those were the years when we were always hungry! However my School Mayo Girls, was very strict and we were not allowed tuck or food from home. So we smuggled it in. some of the things we ate those days were raw maggi tossed in the masalla or a Nepali version of the same whose name I forget. Condensed milk baked beans and sweet corn out of cans with chapattis smuggled out of the mess. We could finish bottles of Bournvita or Pickle at one sitting....

Rushina

You mean in the hostel ? That is what dorms are called no ? Maacher Jhol for the bongs, and Chicken for non-vegs and I forget what was for the vegetarians :smile: Actually we knew the drill - If it is Tuesday it is mutton curry, Wednersday Fried Fish; ..... Sunday was Feast - Chicken Special, Pullao, a piece of Mishti and fruit custard.

anil

I'm curious to know what your school lunch boxes contain NOW.  By "Go back in time", how long ago do you mean?

now lunch is a salad.. I know.. how boring!!

I was asking folks to reminisce.. but today's lunch boxes are welcome too!!

Thank you for your reply, Monica.

I'm currently working on the school lunch system issue here in my little town in Japan. That's why I just couldn't stop asking that question.

For a discussion of the school lunch system in Japan, please go to:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...20entry599615