• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flavored vodkas

mongo -

There are a dozen vodka threads. Sift through them, especially the Vodka Recommendations thread about infusions and how the infuser enjoys drinking them. Or any of the zillion martini threads....

Many of the press release postings about specific brands often are accompanied with a recommended recipe at the end of the press release. (if the links still work, I don't know how long those sorts of articles are archived or kept around on the web).

Flavoured vodkas are great for sipping on their own and in cocktails. Recommendations or suggestions to do with them would be more to what you enjoy... So what flavour(s) are your preference?

well, i have a half bottle of absolut mandarin left over from a party (someone else brought it). i usually only drink vodka-tonics and non-fancy schmancy martinis and thus have no idea what to do with this thing.

i can imagine using a pepper vodka in a bloody mary, of course. i'll check out the thread you mention.

Absolut Mandrin isn't one of my faves. I prefer Stoli Ohranj.

But here's some help with that vodka.

http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/78

I haven't thumbed through those recipes as of yet but I did take a look at the ones at Absolut. (Be prepared for a Flash and framing nightmare).

Of their suggested list of cocktails and drinks with Mandrin, I found the Litchi Shooter and the Ruby Crush interesting, but I'd make that Litchi concoction more as a martini type of cocktail to sip.

Paraphrased (cut and paste was too much of a pain):

Litchi Cocktail

1 part Absolut Mandrin

Dash of freshly squeezed lime juice

2 litchis

Place the fruit and lime juice into the bottom of a cocktail shaker and muddle. Add ice and vodka. Shake and strain into a prechilled cocktail glass. If you'd prefer -- strain into a old fashioned glass of ice and sip it that way.

Ruby Crush

2 parts Absolut Mandrin

1 part ruby red grapefruit puree

Dash of simple syrup

Place ingredients into a crushed, ice filled shaker and give it a gentle shake or vigorous stir with a long bar/ice tea spoon or similar sort of device. Pour into a glass, ice and all and enjoy. Garnish with a slice of ruby red grapefruit.

I suppose one could substitute Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefuit Juice, sweetened/unsweetened for the ruby red grapefruit puree according to preference or ease.

I hope some of this helps.

Edited by beans (log)

hangar one kaffir lime leaf vodka mixed with ginger/lemon grass simple syrup and garnished with a kaffir lime leaf

vanilla vodka w. pineapple juice & champange

vanilla infused roasted peach puree w. vanilla vodka

I like absolut Vanila batter than stoli though in general i'm a stoli drinker

Stoli Stasberi + fresh strawberry puree + mint leaves + squeeze of lime juice

Stoli Kafee + espresso + hazel nut liquer

grey goose citron + lemonade + chambord + splash soda

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

mandarin plus cranberry juice tastes like a pomegranate.

EX-cellent. I bought the little carton of mini-bottles for a couple of reasons, none of which is because I especially like Absolut (needed a little Pepar for bloody mary marinade, wanted some vanilla vodka but didn't want a big bottle hanging around, etc).

As I'm trying to conserve the bottle of Hangar One Mandarin Blossom I bought on vacation (NC doesn't carry it anywhere, and since our liquor stores are gov't controlled, the prices are set, so I'd end up paying @$50 a bottle, I'm sure), this tip pleases me.

Excellent.

BTW, the Manadrin Blossom plus a touch of homemade sour mix plus a tiny splash of cranberry juice is a beautiful thing.

Gourmet Anarchy

glad you could use it. i actually got it from one of my bartender friends. he made ti up for me when i couldn't figure out what i wanted to mix the orange with. he may have added a touch of grenadine. i like the sour mix idea too.

Maybe it is this stuff?

I think it had a very short life because I find it listed by many liquor web resources as a new one for the States from Germany, a few other all German websites about it but the Feiling website itself never has seemed to be up and running.

I hope LEdlund returns with a name because I *love* figs!!!!

*lmao* @ the "fig newton nose"

i was jsut thinkign to myself - i think the only fig i've ever eaten has been in a fig newton. figures it would sell to the college kids.

on a sidenote - i'm going to make a point to eat fresh figs this year.

*lmao* @ the "fig newton nose"

i was jsut thinkign to myself - i think the only fig i've ever eaten has been in a fig newton. figures it would sell to the college kids.

on a sidenote - i'm going to make a point to eat fresh figs this year.

I've been disappointed by every fresh fig I've ever eaten. I hope your experience is better than mine.

Husband gets all glassy eyed and dreamy when he talks about fresh figs, but every one I've tried has been flavorless. Get from a local source if you can, and from someone who will actually tell you if his/her figs are at an optimal point of ripeness . I've found that, at our state farmer's market at least, that not only will the farmers/sellers lie about the ripeness of fruit, they'll argue with you if you suggest otherwise. I had a vendor tell me not to come back the other day after I quietly and politley asked if the super sour strawberries were the first of the season. So much for the genteel South, eh?

So maybe it's best to repeat the mantra my mother in law taught me (actually, the most useful thing anyone's taught me yet in this lifetime): always underexpect. Seriously, you'll never be disappointed again. And fresh figs are an area to underexpect in.

And the orange was good with the cranberry.

Gourmet Anarchy

*lol* at always underexpecting. What part of the South are you in?

And how do you tell a fresh fig anyway?

Did your orange cranberry taste like a pomegranate?

pomegranate juice and regular vodka? has anyone tried that? is there even such a thing as pomegranate juice?

not with flavored vodka but i once made a friend a concoction with regular vodka, guava juice and rock-salt. i refused to drink it myself but she liked it.

but thanks all for the suggestions.

pomegranate juice and regular vodka? has anyone tried that? is there even such a thing as pomegranate juice?

not with flavored vodka but i once made a friend a concoction with regular vodka, guava juice and rock-salt. i refused to drink it myself but she liked it.

Yup. Knudson and Lakewood both make shelf-stable versions, while POMwonderful makes a damn tasty refridgerated product.

I've mixed plain voda and POM and don't like it all that much. Too astringent for my tastes, though, oddly enough, a little lime juice makes it better...seems brighter or something. Also better when a little club soda is added. But the two mixed straight? Not in love with it.

I have made pomegranate liquor using sugar syrup, vodka, and poms, steeped for a long time.

Gourmet Anarchy

Yup. Knudson and Lakewood both make shelf-stable versions, while POMwonderful makes a damn tasty refridgerated product.

I've mixed plain voda and POM and don't like it all that much. Too astringent for my tastes, though, oddly enough, a little lime juice makes it better...seems brighter or something. Also better when a little club soda is added. But the two mixed straight? Not in love with it.

I have made pomegranate liquor using sugar syrup, vodka, and poms, steeped for a long time.

tryska,

you're on to something here: pomegranate flavored vodka cocktails for those who don't like the taste of pomegranate juice.

send me 10% of all profits.

mongo

*lol* at always underexpecting. What part of the South are you in?

And how do you tell a fresh fig anyway?

Did your orange cranberry taste like a pomegranate?

I'm in Raleigh, getting ready to move to Durham (only 20 miles apart, but a world away). Originally from Winston-Salem, home of Krispy Kreme and Joe Camel. Mmmmmmmm...camel...

Yeah, I totally have the best mother-in-law in the universe. She makes great fried okra, never bugs me about when we're going to have kids, gives me sage advice and can drink any man under the table. My sister's MIL used to be a drag racer at a dirt track in Roxboro (my MIL is much cooler, though).

I have no idea how to tell a ripe fig from an unripe one. Obviously ;). Actually, I'm good at telling when one is underipe (generally still hard), but the distinction between ripe and overripe usually escapes me. I always end up with one that's past it's prime, in that space between bland and vaguely alcoholic.

The drink didn't taste exactly like a pom, but I'm guessing that has something to do with the quality of my juice. I bought the 100% fruit juice cranberry blend from Target (I was already there), and it's heavier on the apple juice than my regular 100% blend, which tastes mostly like cranberries. It was still tasty, though.

Gourmet Anarchy

well glad you liked it! i'm in Atlanta. Spent some time up your way when the ex was stationed at Lejeune.

You're MIL sounds like a godsend. I guess i'll have to start experimenting with figs. altho i'm unsure what a good fig tastes like - i guess i'll try them til one tastes good. :biggrin:

And mongo - why do you get 10% of the profits?

well glad you liked it! i'm in Atlanta. Spent some time up your way when the ex was stationed at Lejeune.

You're MIL sounds like a godsend. I guess i'll have to start experimenting with figs. altho i'm unsure what a good fig tastes like - i guess i'll try them til one tastes good. :biggrin:

And mongo - why do you get 10% of the profits?

god, tryska--you're so greedy. can't you even share your imaginary profits? do i have to underexpect this as well?

there is also a saying: hope for the worst and you'll never be disappointed (i think it was on this principle that my wife married me); in sales they say "under-promise and over-deliver" (this is how i got her to marry me).

I plan on spending five days in San Francisco next week and am looking forward to trying some of Hangar One's flavored vodkas (not available here in Washington state). Does anyone have any preferences or recommendations?

Edited by bbqer (log)

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Maybe it is this stuff?

That's the stuff. I had it at the girl and the fig in Petaluma last weekend and tried to buy it before I left California because I was sure I wouldn't find it in Seattle. Ever place I went in California was out but I did find it in Seattle.

The restaurant's cocktail menu just mentioned the fig vodka and campari, but I found it too sweet so we cut it with regular vodka. It's really nice and complex. Starts sweet but has a bitter finish. At the restaurant they garnished it with a mint leaf which didn't work for me. A twist is much better.

I love figs too and am now going to play around with other cocktails using it.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting