• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What We're Cooking for Shabbos: 2004 - 2006

bloviatrix

Aidan, you can get away without soaking the beans if you wait to add the tomatoes until after the beans get tender.  The acid in the tomatoes prohibits the beans from softening (check out the bean thread for a discussion about this or look in McGee).

But Blovia, my old, dear friend, I can't do that in Cholent, can I? I thought it had to all be cooking befor Shabbas began...

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Items have to be cooked just 1/3 of the way through before shabbos begins.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I had some surgery earlier in the week -- please, dear G-d, let it be the last -- and I wanted something stripped-down, easy and comforting. So the menu this week:

Challah (using the recipe from Freda Reider's The Hallah Book)

Green beens with butter and garlic

Salmon filets, pan fried and finished in a hot oven

Italian potatoe cake stuffed with fontina, sun-dried tomatoes, and marinated artichoke

Pineapple casserole (from Miss Mary Bobo's Boardinghouse Cookbook)

and storebought cupcakes for dessert.

The challah recipe was interesting to me -- it started with 1 cup boiling and 1/2 cup cold water. I was afraid the temp was too high when it came time to add my SAF yeast, so I added a couple of cups of flour first. It rose wonderfully. The recipe calls for three full rises -- I thought it would me pressed for time, but I wasn't. It looks delicious. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Shabbat Shalom, y'all.

Aidan

Aidan

A Shabbat Shalom to you Aidan and good health, refuah shlaimah, as well ...

Tonight we are having rock cornish hen with a ginger-soy sauce-garlic-honey-orange marinade ... haven't made it yet but the smell thus far is terrific!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've been baking hamentashen, rice puddings, bread puddings and cobblers all week. So dinner tonight is simple - tomato basil bruschetta with a greek salad....and a dessert buffet ;)

Shabbat Shalom

I've been knocked out with a case of the flu all week so shabbos prep fell on my darling Blovie's shoulders :wub:. He had already made a huge pot of chicken soup but augmented it with some spicy black bean chowder from the freezer. He also roasted a chicken with lemon and garlic and made kasha varnishkes and asparagus. For lunch he made a pot of chili. And as a treat, he made hot cider.

Of course, I couldn't taste a bloody thing, but it was lovely.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

The challah recipe I told you about was nothing to write home about. It didn't taste of anything, crumbled, and disappointed at every turn. :sad::sad: Even today's baked french toast tasted a little flat. I'll definitely switch back to my old stand-by challah.

The book, however, is still very interesting to me. I can't wait to make some of the more interesting shapes -- there is a Moroccan bread made for Purim which incorporates a hard boiled egg. The egg represents Hamen's eye, which you pluck out and eat. A little barbaric for my taste, but it could be really hot for 8-year-olds.

One note about the book -- and it may have just been heavilly-medicated me -- I tried to follow the directions for the 6 strand braid, but after eight or nine attempts, I just could not follow the directions and ended up pairing the strands and making a three strand braid.

Next shabbat we are having guests -- singles we want to introduce to each other. I'm hoping to do a quasi-Moroccan banquet:

A vegetarian couscous with pumpkin, chickpeas, and cauliflower

coucous with sultanas and pistachios

broiled kefte with harissa

an onion and sumac salad

cucumber salad

homemade pita

ravani

mint tea

Aidan

Aidan, you should take a look at Maggie Glaser's A Blessing of Bread. The book contains all sorts of challah recipes as well as other traditional jewish breads. I haven't baked challah since I was in High School Home Ec, but I'm jonesing to try some of her recipes.

This is ever so slightly off topic but thought this was the best place to post - it's regarding what I shall be cooking for shabbos, rather than what I have cooked.

I'm cooking dinner for my wife's birthday and the dinner will be on Shabbos. I want to try to stick to vaguely traditional/heimshe Friday night fare but would like to add interesting twists and turns. I think I'm a pretty competent cook so am happy to be adventurous. It's for about a dozen of us and frankly I was hoping I could call on the depth of knowledge on this board. Some of my ideas so far have included:

Soup

Chicken soup with kreplach

Starter

A fish starter - I can get my hands on some great smoked mackerel or salmon. Possibly even something with bottarga (smoked cods roe).

Another starter I was thinking about was a salad of warm liver, rocket and french dressing.

Main

Bollito misto - my concern is that it might be a bit too meaty for everyone

Roast chicken - lightly brushed with chili oil and oregano

Roast beef - a favourite stand by but a bit ordinary

Sides

Roast potatoes - my wife won't allow any other type of potatoes

Stir fried brocolli/garlic/chilli/ginger

Desserts I've got no ideas.

All help for a Shabbat banquet are gratefully received. I have read this post in detail and have the odd idea off it but I would be really interested in all your help. If you'd like me to start this as a new thread elsewhere I will.

I think that, in keeping with your traditional, heimishe theme, possibly a pretty platter of some different types of rugelach might work with a fresh fruit accompaniment .. or possibly an apple cake ...

many, many different rugelach recipes :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

All help for a Shabbat banquet are gratefully received.  I have read this post in detail and have the odd idea off it but I would be really interested in all your help.  If you'd like me to start this as a new thread elsewhere I will.

Silverfish -- welcome.

The reason you have an odd idea of the thread is that many of us are odd! But we are, for the most part, welcoming and rarely bite! :laugh:

I know this will set off some howls. OH how I love doing this:

Given the constraints of a parve dessert, I have, at times, used non-dairy substitutes. Last year I did a very nice dinner party with a meat menu not dissimilar from yours. I ended the meal with plates of fresh and dried fruit, parve pound cake, and individual ramekins of chocolate fondue made with Blommers parve bittersweet chocolate, non-dairy creamer, a dash of almond liqueur, and a "knob" of butter. It was a hit, and I didn't see much of a difference in the quality. Oh -- and a nice, rich French Roast isn't a bad idea, either!

Come back and hang out -- eGullet is a like a big tent....

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan

I know this will set off some howls.  OH how I love doing this:

Given the constraints of a parve dessert, I have, at times, used non-dairy substitutes.  Last year I did a very nice dinner party with a meat menu not dissimilar from yours.  I ended the meal with plates of fresh and dried fruit, parve pound cake, and individual ramekins of chocolate fondue made with Blommers parve bittersweet chocolate, non-dairy creamer, a dash of almond liqueur, and a "knob" of butter.  It was a hit, and I didn't see much of a difference in the quality.  Oh -- and a nice, rich French Roast isn't a bad idea, either!

Come back and hang out -- eGullet is a like a big tent....

What happens if I say I'm all for dairy-substitutes? Will people think less of me if they know that I have been known to bake a non-dairy cheesecake (I actually prefer the soy-cream cheese cheesecake to a real-cheese cheesecake. That can also partly be because I'm lactose-intolerant as well as trying to keep things kosher... and I am ALL about the potato milk - testing recipes with it all the time)

Silverfish: did you want help just with dessert or with the whole menu? I wasn't sure if your menu was set or if you were asking for ideas .

I'm of the school that chocolate is always the best dessert, especially for birthdays. I recently made Alice Medrich's Bittersweet Deception. It's the perfect dessert for a meat meal because there's very little fat and you don't need to do any substitutions. Just good chocolate, cocoa powder, a hint of flour, sugar, eggs and alcohol. It's a light, moussey cake. If you're interested PM me your email address and I'll scan it and email it to you.

I also like serving two dessert courses, so I would probably do a sorbet as my second course. Maybe a citrus flavor since the chocolate is so rich. Some biscotti are also nice for dipping with the required cup of tea.

Will people think less of me if they know that I have been known to bake a non-dairy cheesecake[?]

Not if you're willing to share the recipe. :rolleyes:

All you have to do is replace the cream cheese in your favorite recipe with the soy cream cheese. If the recipe calls for sour cream, the soy sour cream is great too. (the recipe I use doesn't call for any cream, but if yours does you can replace it with Rich's coffee creamer - I haven't tried using the potato milk, but I think that may be a great alternative)

I'd be happy to share my recipe with you, but it's at work and I am not. I can post it in the next few days though if you'd like. :smile:

Pam -- what's this potato milk you speak of? I'm not familiar with it.

well thanks for all those responses.

I was after help/inspiration with the whole menu. As for desserts I think the chocolate / sorbet combo might be the answer. I'm thinking about a stinkingly rich chocolate cake and a citrus and vodka sorbet.

As for the whole substitution thing, I do feel pretty strongly against it. There's a whole raft of recipes out there that don't call for things we can't eat and I think we should use those. After all two entire schools of cookery (Ashkenazi and Sephardic) are designed just to overcome issues of substitution and make the most of those things we do have access to.

Anyway after a bit more thought I think the recipe is going to look a bit like this.

Kreplach in broth (from bollito misto)

Salmon tartare with asparagus

Bollito Misto and salsa verde and salsa rosso

Roast potatoes

Rocket and tomato salad

Chocolate cake or mousse

Sorbet

That should stop them going hungry. Anyway, any other ideas would be gratefully received.

Will people think less of me if they know that I have been known to bake a non-dairy cheesecake[?]

Not if you're willing to share the recipe. :rolleyes:

All you have to do is replace the cream cheese in your favorite recipe with the soy cream cheese. If the recipe calls for sour cream, the soy sour cream is great too. (the recipe I use doesn't call for any cream, but if yours does you can replace it with Rich's coffee creamer - I haven't tried using the potato milk, but I think that may be a great alternative)

I'd be happy to share my recipe with you, but it's at work and I am not. I can post it in the next few days though if you'd like. :smile:

Just a one-on-one substitution? I think I'm going to try the soy cream cheese. I have friends coming over this weekend and I know they're cheesecake fiends, but we're having chicken so I figured it's just out of the question.

I also never heard of potato milk, and that sounds like it could be useful. I've tried Rich's coffee creamer, that's a no-go for me.

Many thanks. :smile:

I will keep my mouth shut about non-dairy products in desserts. :shock:

Don't worry, I will still speak to each and everyone of you.

I have a very good chocolate sorbet recipe. I will post it when I get home.

I would suggest making an Apple, Pear or Plum Galette. This is a parve or dairy dessert. For parve, I make the crust with butter flavoured margarine.

This is the recipe I use Apple Galette

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

That apple galette does look good. I also usually don't use non-dairy products in what are essentially meant to be dairy desserts (like cheesecake), I just make something else. But I'm curious, because there has been such a huge marketing response to the prevelance of lactose-intolerance. I'm not lactose intolerant, but since I keep kosher I can jump right on the bandwagon. And my friends, being cheesecake fanatics, can give me a real rundown on what they think of it. I'm sure they won't be shy. :raz:

Thanks for the galette recipe.

Pam -- what's this potato milk you speak of?  I'm not familiar with it.

It's a new non-dairy milk substitute made from potatoes. I don't know if it's available in the US yet, but I do know they have plans to sell it south of the border... you can check them out here http://www.tayofoods.com/win/flash/index.html

As for the whole substitution thing, I do feel pretty strongly against it.  There's a whole raft of recipes out there that don't call for things we can't eat and I think we should use those.  After all two entire schools of cookery (Ashkenazi and Sephardic) are designed just to overcome issues of substitution and make the most of those things we do have access to. 

No to be nitpicky, but doesn't Bollito Misto generally rely on pork products for flavour? Do you substitute anything for the pork sausage? :wink:

I will keep my mouth shut about non-dairy products in desserts. :shock:

Don't worry, I will still speak to each and everyone of you.

I have a very good chocolate sorbet recipe. I will post it when I get home.

I would suggest making an Apple, Pear or Plum Galette. This is a parve or dairy dessert. For parve, I make the crust with butter flavoured margarine.

Thank you. :smile:

Aval, slicha - ma zeh 'butter flavoured margarine'? *nitpick* :raz:

I think serving a sorbet with an assorment of little homemade cookies is nice. You're serving a great meal, so something simple could be nice - but, being it is for your wife's birthday, should it be something more exciting?

Good luck!

Edited by Pam R (log)

So my menu changed dramatically with a call from a guest whose companion is Catholic and thus observing Lenten dietary restriction. And who am I to look ascance at dietary restrictions! So the lamb is off the menu, as is chocolate, which now looks like this:

Nibbles before dinner: goat cheese, gorgonzola, bagguette, pears, dried pineapple, macadamia nuts.

Dinner:

Hummos

Home made pita

A plentiful salad of chickpeas, feta, red onion, cucumber, tomato, and cilantro in olive oil and white wine vinegar.

Roasted asparagus

Penne topped with the roasted grape tomato sauce from the current Cooks' Illustrated. (with olive oil, red pepper, garlic, capers, olives, and I'm adding fresh thyme and oregano)

Grated parmesano reggiano

A kodafa made with couscous instead of kataif filled with a sweet cheese mixture and served with a spiced safron/honey sauce.

Aidan

Nibbles before dinner:  goat cheese, gorgonzola, bagguette, pears, dried pineapple, macadamia nuts.

Dinner:

Hummos

Home made pita

A plentiful salad of chickpeas, feta, red onion, cucumber, tomato, and cilantro in olive oil and white wine vinegar.

Roasted asparagus

Penne topped with the roasted grape tomato sauce from the current Cooks' Illustrated.  (with olive oil, red pepper, garlic, capers, olives, and I'm adding fresh thyme and oregano)

Grated parmesano reggiano

A kodafa made with couscous instead of kataif filled with a sweet cheese mixture and served with a spiced safron/honey sauce.

ummm...have room for one more for dinner? :biggrin: