• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut butter cookie problem

FoodMan

Maybe it's just a personal, taste sensitivity thing. Have you ever asked anyone else if they've noticed the stale peanut taste the next day?

I have the same problem as you do, but with chocolate chip cookies. Homemade chocolate chip cookies usually taste stale to me the next day. Peanut butter cookies actually taste better.

Have you tried a few different recipes?

I sort of think its you peanut butter....even though Jiff is a good brand, there must be something about its taste that changes after baking. Logically your cookies aren't stale the next day. So the flavor you don't like is coming from your ingredients regardless of how they taste raw.....it's the baked combo you don't like.

So I'd try this: use another peanut butter cookie recipe with your Jiff and see if that taste develops in that recipe too. If so, it's got to be the peanut butter.

Then try a different brand of pb and use it in your recipe and see if you still get that off taste.

Personally I've had to use what ever pb work has had. Yesterday I was making a kids treat with pb and rice crispys and I noticed I really didn't like their pb. It's dryer, less sweet and almost bitter-ish compared to what I use at home. I haven't looked at the back of the label in a while but are they putting sugar or anything other then peanuts in pb?

Just a word about peanut butter. It was true years ago and I am sure its true today that all peanut butters are not created equal. Years ago I worked summers for a company that made peanut butter from scratch among other food items. They maid 6 or 7 different kinds. They made their own label "Old Fashioned Smooth" and "Old Fashioned Crunchy". They made their own label "Smooth" (modern) and "Crunchy" (modern). They also made several private label brands for local supermarkets. All of the peanut butters had one thing in common. They had a combination of different kinds of peanuts (Spanish and southern white) in them. They were a blend. The proper roasting and blending was an art. Much like blending and roasting coffee. This is why some fresh ground peanut butters sold at health food stores taste flat and one dimensional. The "Old Fashioned" types consisted of roasted peanuts and a little salt. Nothing else and thats why the oil separates. The modern types contained hydrogenated oil, salt, sugar, and other preservatives and thats why the oil doesn't separate. The better the label the better the quality control of the product. The cheaper the product, the less the quality control. If some of the peanuts got over roasted a bit but weren't burned they went into the cheap product anyway. The bottom line on peanut butter is Read the List of Ingredients and don't buy it just because its Cheap.

Fred Rowe

Maybe it's just a personal, taste sensitivity thing. Have you ever asked anyone else if they've noticed the stale peanut taste the next day?

I have the same problem as you do, but with chocolate chip cookies. Homemade chocolate chip cookies usually taste stale to me the next day. Peanut butter cookies actually taste better.

Have you tried a few different recipes?

I never thought about that Claire. No one ever complained about the taste, but then again I never asked them.

Like Sinclair recommends, I am going to try a different PB brand, maybe an all natural one next time and see if it tastes any better. It could very well be the taste of the additives after baking that I do not like.

Thanks for all your help.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog