• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts using canned fruit?

Anna N

I wonder if the canned tropical fruit mixes in heavy syrup would work also. Good experiment.

Must. Try. This. Immediately.

Fruit Cocktail sorbet. Yum. Tastes surprisingly familiar but I bet no one could place it! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My mother always made the "Olive Jello" with almonds rather than walnuts. The combination gives that salty-sweet taste that many people like. My dad bought crushed pineapple by the case, but most other fruits were home-canned back then.

My favorite use for canned fruit is a peach or peach-apricot pie with streusel topping. I also make use of Mandarin oranges in salads, like Brussels sprouts, oranges and walnuts in a sweet-sour glaze, served warm. Or this quick dessert: fold drained Mandarin oranges and grated bitter or bittersweet chocolate into highly sweetened whipped cream.

(The original of that last one called for, God Forbid, Cool Whip.)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali