• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts using canned fruit?

Anna N

Occasionally unexpected guests arrive, the fridge and fruit bowl are empty and one is forced to stare into the pantry for inspiration. What have you done with canned fruit that you'd care to share?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Occasionally unexpected guests arrive, the fridge and fruit bowl are empty and one is forced to stare into the pantry for inspiration. What have you done with canned fruit that you'd care to share?

I have, as you correctly note, resorted to canned fruit in "emergencies" when I was unable to buy something fresh ..

I have been known to use canned mandarin oranges to enliven something that needed that quick citrusy taste ... but it is usually not something I prefer, choosing instead to try to find something in the frozen fruit section of my local grocery. :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Pineapple upside down cake.

Tons of stuff with jello (tryjello homepage)

and my wife's easiest dessert recipe:

pie dough (she uses Pillsbury) spread out on a sheet pan

bake it for 5 min. less than it calls for.

spread over it whatever canned fruit you have, drained.

Toss it bake in the oven for that 5 more minutes.

Meantime, make a glaze of powdered sugar and evap milk, or sweetened condensed milk.

Pull it out, let cool for a few, pour glaze, and you've got dessert pizza.

I know, I know. But try it. And it beats saying to your guests, um, sorry, nothing to serve you.

Clafoutis is always good.

BB

Thanks for the reminder, Bunny! I have been known to buy canned cherries and make a cherry clafouti without reservation .... it is a marvelous fruit to which I add a bit of brandy to round out the flavors ... and cherries are quite seasonal ... :biggrin:

There is a brand of fruit here in the PNW (I'm not sure how widely available it is) called "Oregon." Their cherries are terrific-not at all like the syrupy mess that canned cherries usually are. I use them to make cobblers (and pies, though that's probably not as quick as you'd like) or other quick cherry desserts (ie over ice cream). The brand has other fruit as well (even boysenberries!), but I haven't tried any but the cherry.

i must confess i eat canned pineapple and mandarin oranges...straight out of the can. i buy them when they're on sale and it tastes real good to me sometimes. in a baby food sorta way. and while i have no recipe of my own to add, this thread made me think of the movie "steel magnolias," when truvy...dolly parton's character is asked for her recipe for "cuppa, cuppa, cuppa." to which she replies, "a cuppa flour, a cuppa sugar, and a cuppa fruit cocktail, with the juice, mix and bake til gold and bubbly :laugh: ."

I was once doing some work for a little ole lady who'd had big time heart trouble. She was talking to me about how her diet was woefully changed by her doctor. I asked what she missed the most, and she says "Poundcake," which kinda mystified me. So she proceeded to tell me her recipe: 1# sugar, 1 doz. eggs, 1# flour, 1#butter, well-buttered skillet, bake 350* till done!!!!

I remember reading somewhere that you can make a quick "sorbet" by keeping a can of peaches in the freezer and then pureeing them.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I remember reading somewhere that you can make a quick "sorbet" by keeping a can of peaches in the freezer and then pureeing them.

Quite right, bloviatrix, just read a number of recipes for just that ... but, barring the canned type if need be, try to find frozen peaches because they will taste fresher .. and you can add yogurt to the frozen blended peaches for a "smoothie" as well ...

Canned is indeed convenient, no doubt about it ... :biggrin:

Especially if you are out 75 miles from the nearest store and make a "Trip" once or twice a month. Then this is especially precious commodities. But I think canned peaches and cherries are as good and cook up better than even fresh, sometimes.

I think canned peaches and cherries are as good and cook up better than even fresh, sometimes.

Possibly because they have already been rather "cooked" once already in the canning process .... :rolleyes:

and the preservatives give them such nice color and consistency .... :hmmm:

Still have to try to use fresh when available here!

A good desperation dessert:

Take whatever canned fruit you have on hand, (peaches, pears, pineapple, and apples work well for this) drain off some of the excess liquid (but keep some) dump it in a pot, add cinnamon or other seasonings, let it simmer for 5-10 minutes to thicken a bit.

Meanwhile, pop a frozen pie crust (or use something similar) into the oven to bake out. Sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon toward the end. You can also use filo dough.

To plate... One bowl, one scoop of ice cream (vanilla probably), topped with warmed fruit sauce, garnished with a chunk of cinnamon pie dough.

It's the little things that make life worth living...

Edited to say: Flour tortillas, buttered and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, then baked until crispy (no more than 10 minutes) would work well as a garnish too.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

A good desperation dessert:

Take whatever canned fruit you have on hand, (peaches, pears, pineapple, and apples work well for this) drain off some of the excess liquid (but keep some) dump it in a pot, add cinnamon or other seasonings, let it simmer for 5-10 minutes to thicken a bit.

Meanwhile, pop a frozen pie crust (or use something similar) into the oven to bake out. Sprinkle with a little sugar and cinnamon toward the end. You can also use filo dough.

To plate... One bowl, one scoop of ice cream (vanilla probably), topped with warmed fruit sauce, garnished with a chunk of cinnamon pie dough.

It's the little things that make life worth living...

Dropping all of my heretofore preconceived notions about canned fruit and opting for this delightful dessert that you have just explained!

Thank you for sharing this recipe .. sounds simple yet elegant!! Rustic yet soignee! :biggrin:

OK, maybe I should say that fresh is always best. It's true. But when your otherwordly dessert dies a horrible death in the oven, and guests are due in 15 minutes, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm not going to fault a person for using a canned item. Please. I was raised in the country. We did not have fruits and vegetables in the garden all year round. I ate a lot of canned peaches growing up. I also ate pears and satsumas right off the tree. Guess what? They both taste good.

This isn't something you would necessarily plan to serve to guests, but it is a good solution for throwing something together with little to no warning, and limited ingredients.

This isn't Semi Homemade here. This is something you slam together for the family on a Thursday night when everyone suddenly develops a craving for something sweet.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

It's a no brainer. no one ever thinks to heat up a sauce to put over ice cream. Add some sort of baked element, and you come off as a genius, using ingredients you can get at better convenience stores...

:rolleyes:

and the title of the creation might be something to the effect a "Seven Eleven Surprise Cobbler" (or Slump, Grunt, or Fool, to be historically correct??)?

Whatta concept!! Thanks again ....

This is something you slam together for the family on a Thursday night when everyone suddenly develops a craving for something sweet.

Goodbye Ben

Goodbye Jerry

Goodbye Haagen

Goodbye Dazs ....

Gonna miss you all :laugh:

I can't believe NO ONE here has mentioned the most obvious use of canned fruit on earth:

AMBROSIA!!!

Canned fruit cocktail, sour cream, mandarin oranges, shredded coconut and mini marshmallows! Trailer Park Parfait!

I LOVE this stuff every once in a while. It's like being a kid again.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I thought that was special just for relatives!!!! We might include the next door neighbors, but Katie, we were talkin' company! That's one of our dirty little secrets...and a good one when you toss in the mallows at the right time. :laugh:

Edit to add: pecans. Nice toasted pecan halves, and now I'm gonna make some tomorrow, along with coleslaw from the other thread, catfish, and hushpuppies. And a peach cobbler for dessert!

Edited by Mabelline (log)