• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner near The Point

sara

Hi

I'm going to a late show at the Point Friday night in Bryn Mawr. I'd like to have a nice, not horribly expensive, dinner before the show somewhere nearby. I don't get out to the Main Line often, so I'd like to use this opportunity to try something particularly good out there. Any suggestions?

How is 333 Belrose? I see the restaurant.com coupon for that...

Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Hi Sara,

There are a couple of places that we hit when we're in the area. There's a pleasant Greek BYOB at the Bryn Mawr Train Station:

Louridas Greek Tavern (50 N. Bryn Mawr Ave. (610) 520-0288

Another stop is Citron Bistro (818 W. Lancaster Ave (610) 520-9100) right down the street for a nice menu of small plates (Tapas-style). You can park right behind the Bryn Mawr theatre and be in walking distance of either one of these, although the walk from Louridas back to the point might be 3 or more blocks. After the meal it will be good to walk off dinner. I like Carlo DeMarco’s food at 333 Belerose, I know him from Bridget Foy’s on South Street. His food is a lot of fun (wine list is overpriced, however)and if the outside patio is open it would be great for a nice Spring night. But I’d recommend sticking close to The Point because the seating is first come, first served. It can be a real Oklahoma land rush when the doors open.

Enjoy Tracy Grammar.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

I'll second Louridas Greek Tavern. Not Dmitri's, but pretty good.

Three good BYOB's near by:

Spezia on Lancaster Ave in Bryn Mawr is really good Itallian grub. It has gotten good reviews in the Inquirer.

Fellini's Cafe on Lancaster in Ardmore is casual Itallian and an excellent value.

Carmine's on Brookline Blvd in Havertown has excellent Creole inspired food.

Or you could do what I do. Go to The Grog. It is right across the street from The Point and has really good food for a pub. Get your shine on and then go hear some tunes.

Thanks all. I'd like to hear more about Citron--couldn't find anything else about it on the web. Anyone else been??

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

OK--how about Bella Luna in Bryn Mawr? We're now thinking that a BYO sounds best. Anyone been??

-- William Grimes

went to citron this week actually. living out here in ardmore, it gets tough when you want to try a new place, not many choices. citron was fine, not great. we stuck to their tapas menu and had a variety, some very good shrimp, some ok octopus and decent, but not great humus. oh, and good mussels. beers were expensive (atleast i thought 5.50 for a stella was a little pricey).

i would stick with lourdas, the greek place in bryn mawr which is good and BYO. or, if you're in the mood for indian, main line jewel of india in ardmore is good too. there's also pretty good sushi at a little place in rosemont, but i can't recall the name.

bella luna has closed.

allison