• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espresso Machines as art and design

phaelon56

Consumer espresso machines in this day and age are rarely executed with the intent of making design statements - they tend to be focused primarily on functionality (some, such as the Francis Francis series and the new Isomac Rotary are exceptions to that rule.

The golden era of commercial espresso machine development was integrally involved with the culture of industrial design that has permeated so many Italian products. It occurred to me to mention a book from my collection: "Espresso Made In Italy - 1901 through 1962".

The web site includes some of the beautiful photographs included in that tome. Machines in Enrico Meltoni's private espresso machine museum served as subjects for the photographs. It's an intriguing look at a progression in both functionality and design. I'll advise that the book, a soft cover full color edition, provides commentary in both English and Italian but falls short of providing real insight into the marriage of art and design and the importance of coffee culture that typifies these machines. That's okay - I bought it just for the pictures!

Espresso Made In Italy Museum

Thanks, Owen. Very interesting.

I really like the way they have the social history commentary running along the side of the piece.... even including a nod to Charlie Parker! :wub:

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G