• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Green Market

• 2 months later...
One key project would be the development of a wholesale farmers' market where supermarkets and bodegas could buy local produce at competitive prices.

"There is no good reason why the only apples I can buy should come from California," said Victor Cruz, owner of Bodega del Mundo in Elmhurst, Queens. "The system now makes no sense."

More far-reaching would be the establishment of a New York City food policy council, which would oversee all the food-related issues in the city — from wholesale markets to school lunches to the safety of the food supply.

When A Quest For Local Vegetables Becomes An Odyssey Of Epic Proportions (Julia Moskin) (from the NYTimes DIGEST update for 21 July 2004. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

Related to this discussion, the NYTimes weighs in with an article in today's Dining In/Dining Out section:
One key project would be the development of a wholesale farmers' market where supermarkets and bodegas could buy local produce at competitive prices.

"There is no good reason why the only apples I can buy should come from California," said Victor Cruz, owner of Bodega del Mundo in Elmhurst, Queens. "The system now makes no sense."

More far-reaching would be the establishment of a New York City food policy council, which would oversee all the food-related issues in the city — from wholesale markets to school lunches to the safety of the food supply.

When A Quest For Local Vegetables Becomes An Odyssey Of Epic Proportions (Julia Moskin)

Soba

I know you can grow apples in New York. But aren't there a lot of crops that are difficult/impossible to grow there?

I know where I live - there's hardly anything that works produce wise in the summer. So - if I had to eat locally - I'd mostly be eating bugs :smile: . Robyn