• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Annato Seed

sammy

I picked up a package of ground annato seed (beautiful color) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what to do with it. Searching on the internet, all I come up with is how to make annato seed oil with it.

Any other uses?

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I don't know if it colors orange cheddar but it is the colorant used in Goya's Sauzon. This is a powder mix used by many in the Hispanic (i.e. Puerto Rican and Dominican) community to color and flavor yellow rice, arroz con pollo or sopa de pollo. Sauzon consists mostly of MSG and ground annato seed but may have a bit of something else in it as well. By the way.... If I understand it correctly, achiote powder and ground annato seed are the same thing.

You could also use it for color in paella but I prefer saffron for the flavor notes it delivers.

sorta off topic, but I was reading my shampoo bottle today (Aveda), and it contains annato, I guess for color...interesting...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

You could also use it for color in paella but I prefer saffron for the flavor notes it delivers.

Gotta have saffron! but sometimes I goose up its visual effect with a little turmeric (just enough to take the color up a notch; not enough to overwhelm the saffron flavor with its own) - I imagine annatto could be used the same way.

You could make achiote paste with it. It usually consists of annatto seed, allspice, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, habanero peppers, orange juice, white vinegar, garlic, salt and lemon juice (all in various amounts, there are tons of recipes for it on the internet).

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

is this what gives orange cheddar its colour?

I'm not sure about cheddar, but annato is what gives Muenster cheese slices their characteristic orangey red outline.

Edited to add: Do a recipe search for Arroz con Pollo, you're bound to find one that uses annato as one if its seasonings.

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

You could make achiote paste with it. It usually consists of annatto seed, allspice, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, habanero peppers, orange juice, white vinegar, garlic, salt and lemon juice (all in various amounts, there are tons of recipes for it on the internet).

and once you've made the achiote paste, you can make Yucatan-style pork.

If you've ever been fortunate to eat at a Chamorro (Guam) party, they make "red rice" for special occaisons. Traditionally, whole achiote (annato) seeds are soaked in water and gnashed by hands to extract the color through several rinsings. The colored water is added to the rice. Doesn't taste too much different from steamed rice, but its considered the fancy way to make rice on the island. The end result is an orange color rice. The powder can be used to obtain the same results by mixing it with water.

One theory regarding the origin of making red rice is that the Spanish introduced it, but not directly, since the Spanish use saffron to color (and flavor their rice, ie paella), but by way of Mexico, where achiote is common.

If you've ever been fortunate to eat at a Chamorro (Guam) party, they make "red rice" for special occaisons. 

Yes I have been fortunate to enjoy a Guamanian festival in the village of Umatac. Yum, yum and double yum. My family and I lived on Guam for over three years and if I came away with only one piece of knowledge it was that Chamorro folks sure do know how to throw a party!

It is indescribable - you've never seen so much food in one place and it is perfectly acceptable to go from house to house and partake of everyone's hospitality during a village festival. It seemed the only thing they wanted in return was to enjoy your company and to know you did not go away hungry. Very fond memories. :biggrin:

I'd add it to cumin, oregano, s, p, and cayenne and fresh garlic to make a paste. Rub the paste on chicken or pork. Grill or saute.

Also annatto can work in a sachet for a soup with the flavors mentioned in other posts. Plus it adds a nice color.