• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golden Oreos

clothier

So there I am, standing in the cookie aisle at Kroger, debating whether Mrs Clothier would be happier with Pecan Sandies or Oreos, when I spotted them.

Golden Oreos.

Oreo creme filling, but with vanilla cookies. They looked just like the old girl scout cookies you used to get with half the box being vanilla (and yummy) and the other half being chocolate (and gross).

Anyway, I buy regular oreos for the lovely Mrs, and golden for me. I can't wait initl I get home, so I open the package up in the car.

Ummm. The smell. The taste. They are great. I suggest you drive to your nearest store and buy them right now.

You can thank me later.

Yeah but do they have that same burnt cookie taste and consistency that the chocolate ones do, but with Vanilla?

Unless they had that, I would tend to think they would suck.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You can thank me later.

:angry:

No, I'll thank you right now for instilling a craving for sweets just when I'm trying to avoid them.

I'm totally with you on the split-box GS cookies. In fact, I love just about any vanilla sandwich cookie. Even those funny waffly ones that you have to break apart. Oh, heavens, look what you've gone and done?

Oh, the waffle layer cookies are the best! What's that brand that does the bite sized ones...Quadratini? Their lemon ones are great. I like to eat them sideways, so I get one layer at a time...cookie...creme...cookie...creme... I brought these to a card game once, and everyone had their own eating style with these things.

I always like the Peak Freen cookies that are a vanilla sandwich with a hole in one side, filled with a gummy jammy fruit topping. MMM..... :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I think the best thing about the Golden Oreos is that you don't get black cookie crumbs stuck between your teeth that are highly visible to everyone around you.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Lamely enough, they also seem to already have Reverse (I mean "Uh Oh") Golden Oreos too--in other words with Chocolate inside--as well as the vanilla cream.

I'm with Jason. Without the burnt choco-cookie taste... it's like every other cookie.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

oh great, thanks a lot, now I have to go get some of these and bring them home.

And we all know how much I despise having to eat cookies.

K, off to go find anyone who has girl scout cookies at the office.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

K, off to go find anyone who has girl scout cookies at the office.

:blink:

Bloody. Now I have to go find some Girl Scout peanut-butter round-ups. Also sandwich cookies, and also superior with coffee in the AM.

:rolleyes:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Just got some. They're OK, but Vienna Fingers are better. :smile:

Oh man, I haven't had those in over a dozen years. I loved those things as a kid.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

They only thing could could make them better is when some enterprizing soul decides to enrobe them with chocolate.

they do have fudge covered oreos (and "white" fudge covered oreos) but i don't think they've yet hit on the fudge-covered-vanilla-oreos...don't worry, i'm sure it will happen soon :hmmm:

forgot to ask, if they have pecan sandies where you live, do they still have "lemon coolers"?

Alas, the Keebler Elves killed Lemon Coolers when they bought out the Sunshine Cookie Company. I've been cursing those damn elves ever since! :angry:

If you really have a hankering, there is a knock-off recipe in one of the "Top Secret" recipe books.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Way-coolness alert! Looks like I'm going to have to turn on the TV and actually watch for a while, because I've just learned that the voice-over for the new Golden Oreos spot is done by none other than my dear friend (and sometime partner in crime, when we can wangle joint lecture appearances) Patrick Tull! O'Brian connection, for those who care: he is the man who has done all of the novels, unabridged, for Recorded Books. Um... food relevance... um, well, the Oreos... and Tull hisself is not only a very fine actor but also a damn good cook with a lot of restaurant experience... but, well... oh the hell with it, I'm just really pleased aboout it and I wanted to brag on my friend, so there.