• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decent nonalcoholic beers?

AmyinMotown

(this is my first post ever, so please forgive and gently guide me if I make mistakes)

So here I am, eight weeks pregnant, and two of my hometown teams are in playoff mode right now, which likely means some evenings with the sports-fan spouse at our local watering holes to watch both games. Fine with me, but I get tired of drinking water at the bar and wonder if you have suggestions for good nonalcoholic beers? Or, more accurately, ones that don't taste like gym socks. I have tried:

Haake Beck

St. Pauli NA (both not bad)

O Doul's (eh)

Coors Cutter (so bad the memory of it is triggering nausea...must eat some saltines)

None of these are decent enough to have more than one, and most are pretty foul. Also, I would love to hear either fact or opinion on this: why do more micro/craft breweries not set to making a decent nonalcoholic beer? Is it just too difficult to dealcoholize decent beer, or do they figure there's not enough of a market? I went to several wonderful micros while I was in Colorado a few weeks ago and most looked at me like I was crazy for even asking if there was anything they made that I could drink.

Welcome to eGullet, Amy. Glad to have another Michigander on board.

The best N.A. beer in general distribution, imho, is Thomasbräu (made by Paulaner). Clausthaler is acceptable, too.

edited for content

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Actually, one of my husband's favorite things about Canada is the abundance of different kinds of good NA beer. That and the Cuban cigars. :wink:

Also, Erdinger makes an NA wheat beer that my husband claims is great. Unfortunately, we've never found it sold retail.

Edited by Hest88 (log)

• 5 months later...

When I lived in Israel in 1990, I used to drink "Malt Star" which is the non-alcoholic version of Gold Star beer produced by Tempo Industries who is a Heineken licensee. I'm not sure if it is easy to find in the US though.

http://www.tempo.co.il/outer/?iid=11

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host