• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza, Chinese Food, Deli

Turtleboy

One thing I have been unable to find...A good Philly Cheesesteak.

The Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory in Georgetown isn't bad. It's no Philly cheesesteak, but for DC it's pretty good. When the Eagles were in the playoffs the place was full of Philly expats.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I've stumbled across the best NY slice in the area -- Tony's New York Pizza in Fairfax, VA.  I know you were probably hoping for something actually in DC, but Tony's is worth the drive if you're hankering for the real thing.  If I can't eat there, I just get my slice or pie unheated and warm it up in the oven when I get home -- it's spectacular!

I agree 1000%. I discovered Tony's a few months back and have been hooked ever since. It is the closest that I have found to the New York style pizza I grew up with. Their Sicilian-style pizza is good as well (and they don't complain when I ask for a corner piece :biggrin: ). Plus, their cannoli's are pretty darn good.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

One thing I have been unable to find...A good Philly Cheesesteak.

The Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory in Georgetown isn't bad. It's no Philly cheesesteak, but for DC it's pretty good. When the Eagles were in the playoffs the place was full of Philly expats.

Al's Steak House on Mt. Vernon Ave. in Alexandria has good Philadelphia style cheese steaks. It's been there since 1956. I ran into Al in line at the Giant one day, he was buying a case of lettuce because his supplier apparantly left him in the lurch.