• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
chardgirl

Too Many Small Artichokes

I'm looking for instructions on how to make marinated artichokes. I've googled it, but I thought fellow e-gulleteers would have the best ideas... What I have: 10,000 artichoke plants, both green globe and sicilian purple. Any good ideas on how to proceed?

thanks in advance...

a photo of some of the artichokes we are growing, including their cousins the thistle weeds:

Several Varieties of Artichokes

-cg

Here's what I did when I got a good deal on baby artichokes at my local supermarket:

• Trim them down to the tender leaves and bottom
  • Quarter or cut in eighths (depending on size) and cut out the choke
  • Rinse well to remove the last bits of fuzz and any critters
  • Put in an enameled or stainless-steel stockpot
  • Just cover with half-and-half water and white wine; add a good splash of white wine vinegar, pickling spices and/or bay leaves, plus a little salt, peppercorns, whole garlic cloves, etc. (whatever spicing you want, preferably whole spices)
  • Cover the pot and bring to a boil; turn down the heat and simmer until tender
  • Drain in a colander; retain liquid and return it to the pot to boil down a bit
  • While the liquid is reducing, pack the pieces of artichoke in preserving jars
  • Pour the liquid over the artichokes, leaving some room; top up with olive oil
  • Cap, let cool, and store in fridge.

You might be able to store these unrefrigerated, but I didn't, and I'm not sure how -- if -- you'd have to process the jars.

If you have more artichokes than you can deal with, let me know and I'll send you my address :wink:

Turn, quarter, if they're babies shouldn't be a choke. Cover with EVO, bay leaf, peppercorn, garlic, cook tender and cool.

danny

10,000 plants?

1. Go to the army.

2. Request a battalion of catering core volunteers. Tell 'em to bring their own knives.

3. Proceed as above.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I know what I'm to say might be sacrilege, but they would make a stunning centerpiece. :shock:

Other than that, I'll be glad to take some off your hands.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I know what I'm to say might be sacrilege, but they would make a stunning centerpiece. :shock:

Heh... I was thinking the same thing. Those are just stunning. Is that spikey thing on the left edible? I never knew there were that many kinds of artichokes.

If you are preparing them without a lot of acid, I wonder if you have to worry about botulism. The ones that you buy in the jars in oil are very carefully processed at a high enough temperature and for long enough to get rid of that worry. I am too rusty on times and temperature to be of any real help here. You might want to find a source of information on that.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for the ideas... I do have a pressure canner and I've got all the times and tables to figure out how to do the chokes if I get that far. We have a farm, and sell to farmers market, a CSA program, and to SF restaurants, we manage to sell nearly every artichoke, and I take some for my own kitchen so I can learn how to make my own. We'll let you know how it goes....

cg

I went wandering around in chardgirl's site and found this gorgeous purple cauliflower. I just want to hang that stuff on the wall.

chardgirl... check out this most famous roasted cauliflower thread. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Chardgirl -- I took Fifi's lead and looked at your photo gallery. Your produce is gorgeous. I loved the photos. The fava blossom is spectacular.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

chardgirl:

this thread here... (click) contains a lot of ideas for delicious artichoke preps.

good luck.

(am somewhat envious of your artichoke abundance... :laugh: )

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I pretty much follow Suzanne F.'s prep for cooking up the artichokes, except I cut them into halves rather than smaller. Then I pack them into a large jar, and simmer extra-virgin olive oil with garlic slices, lemon peel, rosemary sprigs and fresh thyme, pour over, and keep in the fridge. I try to make a year's supply, but they are usually gone within a month. I slice them into tossed salads, and eat straight up with antipasti and fresh ricotta. This is my favorite food.

My mom grew up on an artichoke farm, and I like to think that my love for artichokes began pre-natally, as this is all she ate when she was pregnant for me. If you need to unload some, or many, do know you have a willing purchaser here who could also resell any I don't eat. Simply private email me.

Sign in to follow this