• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Triangle Area Dining Club

scottie

Hey, this idea came up in the Acme thread. I think it's a great idea and posted this so we could work out the basics.

First and Foremost: Restaurants

This is the fun part. Where do we want to eat? What have we been meaning to try? I'm sure the list goes on.

But we have to figure out other stuff, too:

How often should we do this? Once a month? Should we have a fixed date?

How far are people willing to drive? Will Raleigh folks come to Carrboro? Will Chapel Hill folks go all the way to Cary?

How much are people willing to spend?

I don't think we can do something like Fearrington House every month. Plus, there's great food to be had for cheap, like Allen and Sons.

Chime in, everyone, I think this will be fun!

Okay, I'll start with my restaurant list. I'm new to the area, so there's a lot I don't know about, and a whole lot I haven't tried yet.

Il Palio

Lantern

Elaine's on Franklin

Acme

The Carolina Inn -you know, the one on UNC's campus

Outside of CH/Carrboro:

Magnolia

Duck and Dumpling

Enoteca Vin

Fearrington House

Celebrity Dairy

Babymoon

There are lots of others I can't think of at the moment. Some of these may be terrible, I don't know, but what the hell, it's a start. :biggrin:

I think we might want to start out at places that are fairly inexpensive, as those are the most conducive to interaction, sampling, etc. Mrs. Varmint and I would be up for going to different places, but a lot of that depends on the time. With 4 L'il Varmints, we have very little control of our schedules.

I want to find the cool taqueria, the kick-ass southern cooking joint, the hidden Caribbean place, the authentic Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai/Malaysian/Insert your Favorite Asian Cuisine here.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

That all sounds great. More my financial speed, too.

I haven't even been to Carrburritos yet!

Let's come up with a date and the lucky restaurant to win our presence. I'm thinking something Asian or maybe Ethiopian.

Two weeks from now (March 12 or so) would be good for us, unless that's too soon.

Where are Random Alias and Phlawless? Is anyone else into this idea?

Sounds like fun. I'd love to try the Lantern, that's one of those places we always mean to go to, but never quite work up motivation to drive out there.

As for when, I love Thursday nights, but I know for those of you with kids that might not be as easy. Either ways, start tossing our restaurants and days and I'll chime in.

btw Varmint, have you ever tried Taqueria Mi Mexico? It's on Peace street right near Broughton. I think ownership has changed since I've been there last, but it used to be a good place for lunch whenever we were in the area. They had one tasty chicken burrito there.

I am interested, but I also have a little challah-baker. (Well, and his mom. If she ever knew I called her Mrs. Challah-baker even in jest...) I might be able to make it though depending on the day. I am up for just about anything foodwise. We are in Hillsborough, so CH amd Durham are most convenient, but hey once you are in the car....

The misses and I are up for dinner most any night during the week. Our little one has four legs and lots of chew toys (though he does sleep with a power-puff girls blanket ...) so he's not an issue. For the right meal we'll drive pretty far. We'll eat just about anything though better food for less is always appreciated.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Thursdays are good for us, but not next week (Mar. 11). Fridays and Saturdays are good, too, but I work evenings the rest of the time.

Sounds like two contenders for the first Triangle Chow Club are:

Lantern (little bit fancy, I'm afraid)

Taqueria Mi Mexico (already familiar to some)

Any other suggestions?

Let's pin down a date:

Friday, March 12

Saturday, March 13

Thursday, March 19

Those are the ones we can make in the near future.

Maybe we should start on Thursday 3/19, and keep Thursdays as chow night?

I was out of town last week so I haven't really been tracking this board recently.

Taqueria Mi Mexico might be an odd place to have dinner with a large group of people. It's got fast food ambiance and you're eating off Styrofoam with plastic utensils. It's really more of a lunch spot. That being known, I'd still meet up with people there if that's what everyone wants to do, but this week isn't really doable for me. Next Thursday would work though.

I think we need some more suggestions on restaurants though. I'd offer up some, but I'm afraid most of the places we eat at on a semi-regular/affordable basis are all pretty boring. I'd love to get a line on some good '$15 per person' type places.

The only suggestions I have:

Champa - Thai at Brier Creek

Peking Garden - Chinese at Milbrook & 6 Forks

Dos Taquitos - Mexican at Millbrook & Creedmoor

They're all pretty good, but I don't know if they're intersting enough to warrant a special trip.

Edited by Random Alias (log)

I was out of town last week so I haven't really been tracking this board recently.

Taqueria Mi Mexico might be an odd place to have dinner with a large group of people. It's got fast food ambiance and you're eating off Styrofoam with plastic utensils. It's really more of a lunch spot. That being known, I'd still meet up with people there if that's what everyone wants to do, but this week isn't really doable for me. Next Thursday would work though.

I think we need some more suggestions on restaurants though. I'd offer up some, but I'm afraid most of the places we eat at on a semi-regular/affordable basis are all pretty boring. I'd love to get a line on some good '$15 per person' type places.

The only suggestions I have:

Champa - Thai at Brier Creek

Peking Garden - Chinese at Milbrook & 6 Forks

Dos Taquitos - Mexican at Millbrook & Creedmoor

They're all pretty good, but I don't know if they're intersting enough to warrant a special trip.

Dos Taquitos is good and worth trying (I think so anyway), but I remember the restaurant being a little small. Maybe I'm misremembering. Anyone else care to weigh in on that? I don't know how many people would be going, so it may not be a problem anyway. I've never been to Taquaria Mi Mexico, but I will add that I'm never opposed to eating off of styrofoam plates. Has anyone eaten dinner there, though? If it's more of a lunch place, we might want to make sure they're open for dinner. Lantern is on the pricey side, but I love their food. We're trying to be frugal in anticipation of our trip to San Francisco in April, so cheaper would be better. but damn, I love their food, so it's not totally out if everyone else decides it's the place to go.

I am pretty new around here (to the boards, anyway...been in Raleigh for 2 1/2 years), but I would still like to meet you guys. Depending on where we end up going, I may even be able to convince The Husband to come. He's a bit on the shy side, but can be lured out with the promise of good food.

Gourmet Anarchy

I suggest we hit one of the Triangle's Chinese restaurants that offers an authentic Chinese menu. Here's a few to consider:

China One on Hwy 55 in Durham

Fortune Palace on Brentwood (just off of Capital) in Raleigh

Ma Ma Wok in Preston Corners in Cary

Peking Garden, mentioned above.

I personally can't get together on the next 3 Thursdays, but that shouldn't prevent y'all from moving forward with this. If you can do it on a Friday, I can come on the 19th or 26th (pending receiving the hall pass from Mrs. Varmint or getting a sitter).

Ah, hell, let's do it this way, as someone needs to take the initiative here: China One on Friday, March 19th, 7:00 PM. This is in the middle of the Triangle, so it's equally inconvenient for all of us!

Who's in?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh, why the hell not. Count me in for Friday. Husband will probably come too, if that's ok. He's been lurking a bit on egullet on the Scotch threads and he seems to like the place.

A hearty thank you to Varmint for making the Executive Descision (as it is called in our house, anyway).

edited for extreme spelling and grammatical errors...though I'm sure some less obvious ones remain...

Edited by JennotJenn (log)

Gourmet Anarchy

We will plan to be there. China One, here we come!

Funny, as I just spent the morning perusing the China volume of the old Time-Life Foods of the World series.

Varmint, thanks for taking the initiative. See you there!

My mother-in-law broke her ankle today, so I won't be able to spearhead this event nor will I be able to attend. We probably need to set a date further in advance. Someone please assume this responsibility, please!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My mother-in-law broke her ankle today, so I won't be able to spearhead this event nor will I be able to attend. We probably need to set a date further in advance. Someone please assume this responsibility, please!!!!

Sorry to hear about your MIL, Varmint. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

I would be just fine with putting this off until a later date, especially since it seems like there weren't too many takers for Friday anyway.

How about the Friday after next, the 26th. Is that ok for everyone?

Gourmet Anarchy

Hrm.

Dean, I am so sorry to hear about your MIL's ankle. I know that is pretty rough stuff right there.

Hen and I are glad to give this week a pass.

Let's all try again when the stars are more fortuitous.

Perhaps this week's Independent will give us all a little inspiration!

Good bye for now,

and good ankle health!

-emily and hendrik

Varmint,

Hope your MIL is steadily improving. I would not be in for the weekend of the 26th, as my parents will be visiting. Some weekend in the future sounds fun. I would prefer if it weren't Easter weekend though. Any other weekend in April would be great.

SML

Edited by sml311 (log)

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

• 2 weeks later...