• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another Where Does This Meat Come From Question.

Stone

i'm guessing here, but i think they're all rib meat, but probably different ends of the ribs? that's probably all wrong, but here's a basic map.

i've always wondered about this as well. and i've seen "rib steaks" at the supermarket next to "rib eye", and they look totally different. i think some naming standards would help, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

The ribeye is the back loin in between the strip loin (strip steaks) and the shoulder. All pieces will be different depending on size of animal and grading etc. The outer roll (that really tender ring around a ribeye steak) usually defines a good specimen. Prime rib officially should be of prime grade, but is the same cut anotomically. Roast beef is any roasted beef, but usually is a top round or inside round. Ribeye would be really good roast beef, but probably not a good ribeye.

RM

The primal beef rib accounts for approximately 10% of carcass weight.  It consists of ribs 6 through 12 as well as a portion of the backbone.  This primal is best known for yielding roast prime rib of beef.  Prime rib is not named after the quality grade Canada Prime.  Rather, its name reflects the fact that it constitutes the majority of the primal cut.  The eye meat of the rib is not a well-exercised muscle and therefore is quite tender.  It also contains large amounts of marbling compared to the rest of the carcass and produces rich, full-flavoured roasts and steaks.  Although toasting the eye muscle on the rib bones produces a moister roast, the eye meat can be removed to produce a boneless rib eye roast or cut into rib eye steaks.

On Cooking: A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals (Second Canadian Edition)

-Labensky et al, Prentice-Hall 2003

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The ribeye is the back loin in between the strip loin (strip steaks) and the shoulder. All pieces will be different depending on size of animal and grading etc. The outer roll (that really tender ring around a ribeye steak) usually defines a good specimen. Prime rib officially should be of prime grade, but is the same cut anotomically. Roast beef is any roasted beef, but usually is a top round or inside round. Ribeye would be really good roast beef, but probably not a good ribeye.

RM

So if I were to take my really expensive cut of prime rib and grill it, it would be a $$$ ribeye steak?

Kind of off topic, but not....While the link grom above WAS educational, (and funny...Nice Nose Ring!) I have always wanted to get one of those old time posters that you would see in butcher shops showing the cow and pig divided up into the different cuts. Anyone know where I might be able to find one?

(EXTRA COOL if it is from a butcher school or something like that...)

Thanks!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Go and get " Cutting-up in the Kitchen" by Merle Ellis which is out of print but available online and he will answer all your questions.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321