• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

rich

did the $150 price tag include gratuity?

Yes, and indeed any price quoted at Per Se will include gratuity.
If not, that still seems a bit pricey. When we went to TRU and Alinea in Chicago, the wine pairings were about 2/3 the menu price (so they were closer to $80-100).  At Tru, we were given a different pour with each of the 9 courses as well.
Bear in mind that the sky's the limit on wine pairings, just as it is with individual bottles. The question is what's the lowest price at which they can do it.
Do you think Per Se could do a tasting closer to the $100 range?
Given the way they kvetched before agreeing to do it at $150, I would guess that a $100 pairing is out of the question, unless you tell them to give you fewer pours (i.e., not to pair every course). Bearing in mind that service is included, a $100 pairing at Per Se is equivalent to $83 at any other restuarant. In relation to the overall price level of the restaurant, that's probably too low to expect a full wine pairing.

As a point of comparison, at Aquavit (where I dined last Friday), the chef's tasting menu is $105, and the wine pairing is $80. So, to expect Per Se to do it for practically the identical price, when the food is double the price, is probably not realistic.

As a point of comparison, at Aquavit (where I dined last Friday), the chef's tasting menu is $105, and the wine pairing is $80. So, to expect Per Se to do it for practically the identical price, when the food is double the price, is probably not realistic.

Really? I'm not sure I agree. I can see why the food at Per Se costs more than the food at Aquavit - the sourcing of the ingredients from small purveyers, the more complex preparations, more luxury ingredients, plus more courses means more ingredients which means more spoilage ... Wine, on the other hand, costs the same to the restaurant whether it's Aquavit or Per Se doing the purchasing. I believe that they absolutely could do wine pairings profitably for $75-80 choosing interesting wines from underrated regions and grapes. Having said that, I can understand that given their business model (huge staff costs and not being able to turn a table more than once in an evening) they're marking up wine more than most restaurants would. Landmark will be an interesting contrast when they open in the TWC.

....The server replied, "We offer wine pairings for the same price as the menu." In other words, $210. ...."We were thinking of something in the range of $150."...

Surely that was not $150 (or even suggested $210) per person or was it, and if so, how many people? I will be going to Per Se again in August with my wife and 2 others and was thinking about the wine pairing option. This is so I do not have to fuss with the list (since I find that getting wines that I am looking for to bridge multiple courses is tough and takes a little time) but at $600 for wine if its $150 per person I will take all the time I need since there are some gems on the list at good prices. Also, the 4th in the group can be very very busy at unpredictable times so what if I show up with 3 on the day of since if the 4th has to fly off at the last minute (I would expect that I would only have a few hours notice, maximum a 24 hours if the 4th was going to be MIA to let the restaurant know). Should I give them the heads up now?

officially left egullet....

....The server replied, "We offer wine pairings for the same price as the menu." In other words, $210. ...."We were thinking of something in the range of $150."...

Surely that was not $150 (or even suggested $210) per person or was it, and if so, how many people?

Yes, those were prices of the wine pairing per person.

Surely that was not $150 (or even suggested $210) per person or was it, and if so, how many people?

Yes, those were prices of the wine pairing per person.

I see. Thanks. I will request the list in advance (if I can) or just take my time at dinner again. :smile:

officially left egullet....

Just went to Per Se. Thanks all for the info. I was definitely more confident speaking with the Sommelier. We actually went lower then what you guys recommended and asked for a budget of 100 per person for the wine. We still got Sauternes for the Foi Gras and a great Sancerre and Rhone for the rest of the dishes, as well as an excellent grenache for dessert. I think the main idea is to just decide what you want to spend beforehand (per person) and don't be shy and tell the Sommelier exactly what you're thinking.

I also picked up a signed copy of The French Laundry Cookbook that they had on hand there. Great experience!

I just got the call today from Per Se and got a table for two this Saturday at lunch. I am so excited! I called about 3 or 4 weeks ago and was told that I would be put on a list if there were any cancellations.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

I just got the call today from Per Se and got a table for two this Saturday at lunch.  I am so excited!  I called about 3 or 4 weeks ago and was told that I would be put on a list if there were any cancellations.

Have a wonderful time...I KNOW you will...Having eaten dinner there twice, I truly feel this is the BEST meal I have ever eaten and I have eaten in most of the top restaurants in NYC...You will be made to feel very special and if you talk to your Captain about the kitchen, you may be invited there after your meal for a visit. This time we mentioned the cameras and screen that interacts with The French Laundry that we read about here and he invited us to see it...we also asked to take home our chocolates as we were too full to enjoy them and both times they were packed up so we could extend our wonderful experiece into the next day. Is the menu and/or cost any different for lunch? From someone who grew up in Beacon, N.Y.....

:biggrin:

when i go to TFL, i like to only go for lunch as eating a 5 hour meal late in the evening really doesn't appeal to me... the experience is just the same.

Quite simply the best restaraunt experience I have ever had!

Wonderful for you, but what made it so? Please elaborate.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Quite simply the best restaraunt experience I have ever had!

Wonderful for you, but what made it so? Please elaborate.

So glad you had a wonderful experience BBQChef...and Docsconz..in my humble opinion, what made it so amazing was the food, the details, the service...we were made to feel really important and cared about...doted on...several of the courses were etherial..not all..some were just excellent...several were the most amazing food I have ever had...I just read an interesting article in today's Wall St Journal comparing 2 important and expensive NYC restaurants...and the cost was not very different...but the food and the service certainly were... :laugh:

We arrived about 10 minutes early for our 1:30 res and were promptly seated. A wine list was offered and there was no attitude when I explained that my GF doesn't drink. They also made it known that we were celebrating our 5th anniversarry.

When menus were brought, the captain let us know that they would be willing to make substitutions to the menu (we both had the Chef's menu) if there were any courses that weren't to our liking. My gf doesn't eat red meat or dark color fish and made substitutions for her.

We statrted with salmon cornets. When she didn't touch hers the captain was immediatly there to offer her the tomato cornet. Bonus for me, I was able to eat her salmon cornet also!

Next up for me was Cauliflower panna cotta w/ Island Greek oyster glaze and Russian sevruga caviar. She had a skin on anchovy filet with olive oil poached veggies.

Next course was a choice. She had the hearts of palm salad and I had the Seared Foie Gras. The foie was served on a brioche "pain perdu" with poached apples, radish, and a Cavados reduction. Absolute perfection!

Next course was a Tuna Nicoise with sunny side up quails egg, marinated haricots verts, roasted sweet peppers and bottarga emulsion. The emulsion, while a little salty on its own, was fantastic with the tuna. For her they subbed the Crispy Skin Filet of Barramundi, globe artichokes and wilted arrowleaf spinach with red onion applewood smoke bacon vinnaigrette, wich was on the 7 course menu.

4th course was a choice of Pan Seared Sea Scallop, garbanzo bean puree, holland eggpalnt relish and spicy mint beurre blanc for her. For me it was Softshell crab Sandwich, confit of tomato, brioche crouton, frisee lettuce and french pickle sauce. The crab was delicious, but the scallop was amazing. I knew that I should have had the scallop also, but was aware that if I didn't I would be upset I didn't try the crab.

5th was the Braised Shoulder of Four Story Hil Farm's Pork, wilted chicory, glazed Tokyo turnips, poached pluots and pork jus. We both had this dish. What flavor!

Main course for me was Elysian Fields Farm's "Selle D'Agneau Rtie Entiere", ragout of thumbelina carrots, spring onions, garlic scapes, chantrelle mushrooms and russet potato gnocchi with lamb's tounge vinnaigrette. I have never had such flavorful lamb in my life. For her the subbed of the vegetable menu the rissotto w/ sugar snap peas, morel mushrooms, pea tendrils and Parmigiano Reggiano.

Cheese course was Constant Bliss, a raw cows milk cheese from Vermont. Served with pickled blueberries, celery branch (actually a brunoise) Graham cracker, cuttung celery and bay leaf "Aigre-Doux". This dish was not lll that exciting to me.

Sorbet was strawberry with vanilla chiboust, strawberry sauce and coulis de creme fraiche. Also on the plate but unlisted on the menu was a champagne gelee.

Dessert: Spiced Caramel. Jivara chocolate shell with spiced caramel mousse and choclate cream, hazelnut streusel, caramel jam and ginger ice cream. We were also presented with a congratulatory comp of the classic "Coffee and Doghnuts". That was her favorite dessert.

Then it was all the standard mignardises, of wich we had them bow up the truffles, caramels and nogat to go home with us as well as the macaroons.

We were amongst the last 3 tables for lunch so we got to talk a little "shop" with our captain and then a quick tour of the kitchen.

No obvious server gaffes or kitchen flaws that we detcted. We never felt neglected or like second class citizens as is often the case when we go out to nice places because we don't drink. It was just 3.5 hours of pure pleasure.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

Thanks for the report. I would have gone with the soft-shell crab also even though I love scallops as well. soft-shells are so seasonal I gobble them up whenever I am presented with a good opportunity.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the report. I would have gone with the soft-shell crab also even though I love scallops as well. soft-shells are so seasonal I gobble them up whenever I am presented with a good opportunity.

we actually had both the scallops and the soft-shell crab and were a bit disappointed with the crab since there was so little of it that you could barely taste it...this was one of the few "ordinary" courses of our rntire meal...

:rolleyes:

We arrived about 10 minutes early for our 1:30 res and were promptly seated.  A wine list was offered and there was no attitude when I explained that my GF doesn't drink.  They also made it known that we were celebrating our 5th anniversarry. 

When menus were brought, the captain let us know that they would be willing to make substitutions to the menu (we both had the Chef's menu) if there were any courses that weren't to our liking.  My gf doesn't eat red meat or dark color fish and made substitutions for her.

We statrted with salmon cornets.  When she didn't touch hers the captain was immediatly there to offer her the tomato cornet.  Bonus for me, I was able to eat her salmon cornet also!

Next up for me was Cauliflower panna cotta w/ Island Greek oyster glaze and Russian sevruga caviar.  She had a skin on anchovy filet with olive oil poached veggies.

Next course was a choice.  She had the hearts of palm salad and I had the Seared Foie Gras.  The foie was served on a brioche "pain perdu" with poached apples, radish, and a Cavados reduction.  Absolute perfection!

Next course was a Tuna Nicoise with sunny side up quails egg, marinated haricots verts, roasted sweet peppers and bottarga emulsion.  The emulsion, while a little salty on its own, was fantastic with the tuna.  For her they subbed the Crispy Skin Filet of Barramundi, globe artichokes and wilted arrowleaf spinach with red onion applewood smoke bacon vinnaigrette, wich was on the 7 course menu.

4th course was a choice of Pan Seared Sea Scallop, garbanzo bean puree, holland eggpalnt relish and spicy mint beurre blanc for her.  For me it was Softshell crab Sandwich, confit of tomato, brioche crouton, frisee lettuce and french pickle sauce.  The crab was delicious, but the scallop was amazing.  I knew that I should have had the scallop also, but was aware that if I didn't I would be upset I didn't try the crab.

5th was the Braised Shoulder of Four Story Hil Farm's Pork, wilted chicory, glazed Tokyo turnips, poached pluots and pork jus.  We both had this dish.  What flavor!

Main course for me was Elysian Fields Farm's "Selle D'Agneau Rtie Entiere", ragout of thumbelina carrots, spring onions, garlic scapes, chantrelle mushrooms and russet potato gnocchi with lamb's tounge vinnaigrette.  I have never had such flavorful lamb in my life.  For her the subbed of the vegetable menu the rissotto w/ sugar snap peas, morel mushrooms, pea tendrils and Parmigiano Reggiano.

Cheese course was Constant Bliss, a raw cows milk cheese from Vermont.  Served with pickled blueberries, celery branch (actually a brunoise) Graham cracker, cuttung celery and bay leaf "Aigre-Doux".  This dish was not lll that exciting to me.

Sorbet was strawberry with vanilla chiboust, strawberry sauce and coulis de creme fraiche.  Also on the plate but unlisted on the menu was a champagne gelee.

Dessert:  Spiced Caramel.  Jivara chocolate shell with spiced caramel mousse and choclate cream, hazelnut streusel, caramel jam and ginger ice cream.  We were also presented with a congratulatory comp of the classic "Coffee and Doghnuts".  That was her favorite dessert.

Then it was all the standard mignardises, of wich we had them bow up the truffles, caramels and nogat to go home with us as well as the macaroons.

We were amongst the last 3 tables for lunch so we got to talk a little "shop" with our captain and then a quick tour of the kitchen.

No obvious server gaffes or kitchen flaws that we detcted.  We never felt neglected or like second class citizens as is often the case when we go out to nice places because we don't drink.  It was just 3.5 hours of pure pleasure.

sounds wonderful...as you know, we felt the same...the most amazing meal we ever had... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping to dine at Per Se at the start of September,(2nd-4th), but have missed the 2 month mark to make a reservation! :sad:

Does anyone know if there's any chance of phoning up on the day to check for cancellations? I guess there's a waiting list?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edward.

I'd suggest calling now and then periodically up until the day of... I got in on a reservation just a week before I was to leave for NYC... it was completely on a whim that I picked up the phone and tried. I didn't expect anything - but I was pleasantly surprised to have gotten a table on such short notice.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I was hoping to dine at Per Se at the start of September,(2nd-4th),  but have missed the 2 month mark to make a reservation!  :sad:

Does anyone know if there's any chance of phoning up on the day to check for cancellations? I guess there's a waiting list?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edward, I know that they DO have a waiting list...it is much easier to get reservvations during the week than on the weekend...so give it a try..all you have to lose is a bit of time... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was lucky to just get an early evening reservation for Saturday, October 7. My wife was going to throw me a big 40th Birthday party but I insisted that we save the money and go to Per Se for dinner and maybe stay overnight at the Four Seasons. I recently lost alot of weight and have avoided gourmet food (and pretty much any kind of bad carbs and sugar for that matter) for the past 4 months. I guess I deserve to indulge a bit for my birthday and can't think of a better way to do so.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Dear bgut1...Congrats on your upcoming birthday...we went there for my boy friend's 60th birthday instead of a big party...it was our 2nd trip...and all I can say is WOW...do tell them that it is your birthday when you confirm the reservation...I am a foodie and can really say that I think they were the best two meals we have ever had..and the service was amazing..we, too, watch our weight and what we eat very carefully...put it away for one night..we did ask to have the courses come slowly and we asked at the end of the meal to take home the chocolates and cookies which they gladly packed up so we could really enjoy them when we were not so full...it is simply an amazing evening..enjoy and please share with eGullet afterwards... :rolleyes::rolleyes: