• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Per Se

rich

Why not stay at the Oriental and save the cab ride?

(I know:  always a kibbitzer.)

Not a bad idea about the Mandarin Oriental. I had actually thought about it or Trump International when I saw that a decent room at the Four Seasons was over $750 for the night. $500/$600 maybe but $750 is a little out of control.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Dear bgut1...Congrats on your upcoming birthday...we went there for my boy friend's 60th birthday instead of a big party...it was our 2nd trip...and all I can say is WOW...do tell them that it is your birthday when you confirm the reservation...I am a foodie and can really say that I think they were the best two meals we have ever had..and the service was amazing..we, too, watch our weight and what we eat very carefully...put it away for one night..we did ask to have the courses come slowly and we asked at the end of the meal to take home the chocolates and cookies which they gladly packed up so we could really enjoy them when we were not so full...it is simply an amazing evening..enjoy and please share with eGullet afterwards... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Thanks Shmily. I am really looking forward to it. My wife and I have eaten at both the French Laundry and Bouchon (LV) and enjoyed the meals tremendously. We even got a chance to meet Chef Keller and get a personal tour of the French Laundry kitchen. I am interested in comparing the two dining experiences. I will definitely report back.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Shmily. I am really looking forward to it. My wife and I have eaten at both the French Laundry and Bouchon (LV) and enjoyed the meals tremendously. We even got a chance to meet Chef Keller and get a personal tour of the French Laundry kitchen. I am interested in comparing the two dining experiences. I will definitely report back.

First, happy birthday. Second, enjoy the view of Columbus Circle. Lastly, enjoy the service. Per Se puts on a class act. Have fun - and do remember to report back. I've been to both TFL and PS and I'm always curious how others have experienced the two in tandem.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Dear bgut1...Congrats on your upcoming birthday...we went there for my boy friend's 60th birthday instead of a big party...it was our 2nd trip...and all I can say is WOW...do tell them that it is your birthday when you confirm the reservation...I am a foodie and can really say that I think they were the best two meals we have ever had..and the service was amazing..we, too, watch our weight and what we eat very carefully...put it away for one night..we did ask to have the courses come slowly and we asked at the end of the meal to take home the chocolates and cookies which they gladly packed up so we could really enjoy them when we were not so full...it is simply an amazing evening..enjoy and please share with eGullet afterwards... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

You might be interested in seeing the interactive screen with The French Laundry that is in Per Se's Kitchen...if you ask, they will show it to you...We got to meet Chef Keller the first time we ate there but he was not there the 2nd...when you confirm, let them know that you have eaten at the other 2..they were extra nice to us knowing we were repeaters...we were told by our waiter that the food is isentical in the 2 restaurants, but the surroundings make the experiences different...enjoy... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You might be interested in seeing the interactive screen with The French Laundry that is in Per Se's Kitchen...if you ask, they will show it to you...We got to meet Chef Keller the first time we ate there but he was not there the 2nd...when you confirm, let them know that you have eaten at the other 2..they were extra nice to us knowing we were repeaters...we were told by our waiter that the food is isentical in the 2 restaurants, but the surroundings make the experiences different...enjoy... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will defintely report back IF I can still go. I have a reservation for 4 and the other couple has canceled (I assume due to the anticipated cost). I tried to change the reservation to just 2 however there is no availability. I will hold the reservation for a little bit longer with the hope we can find another couple to go. Otherwise I will have to try someplace else. Thanks to you and epicure for your advice and well wishes.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I will defintely report back IF I can still go. I have a reservation for 4 and the other couple has canceled (I assume due to the anticipated cost). I tried to change the reservation to just 2 however there is no availability. I will hold the reservation for a little bit longer with the hope we can find another couple to go. Otherwise I will have to try someplace else. Thanks to you and epicure for your advice and well wishes.

I changed my reservation last month from 4 to 3, so you really only need one (this was our second trip with a friend and the fourth had to cancel). I guess they are fine to make this change but not from 4 to 2. You could always post for the extra on this board. I recall as long as the downsize is made 72 hours in advance you do not have to pay the $150 per person.

officially left egullet....

I changed my reservation last month from 4 to 3, so you really only need one (this was our second trip with a friend and the fourth had to cancel). I guess they are fine to make this change but not from 4 to 2. You could always post for the extra on this board. I recall as long as the downsize is made 72 hours in advance you do not have to pay the $150 per person.

Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the idea.

I would think that 4 people to 3 is still the same size table whereas 4 to 2 requires a smaller table...Here's hoping you can still get there... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would think that 4 people to 3 is still the same size table whereas 4 to 2 requires a smaller table...Here's hoping you can still get there... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

At Per Se, parties of two are seated at the same-size tables as parties of four.

I seem to recall that parties of two were mostly seated along the wall separating the two levels of the seating area. The benefit is that both members of the party get nice views out the window.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me be more specific. I was just wondering, has anyone had the same impression of Per Se's wine service as I did? When I dined there a few weeks ago, I was struck by a noticeable lack of order among the sommelier team. In fact, I couldn't tell if there was a team. (Which would be a surprise given Per Se's stature.) One person took the order, another poured, and then a third came over and poured later on. And finally, another asked if we wanted any dessert wines to cap the meal. Perhaps it's just their style, and, in fact, that style seemed to express itself in other aspects of the service -- I coudn't tell after awhile who my waiter was given the number of servers that waited on us.

Overall, though, the servers at Per Se are some of the hardest working staff I've ever seen. And the food was thrilling. I just don't know how serious their wine program is.

Ducasse offers a useful example. There, the team is unified, and the structure seems apparent. I will offer my take on the wine service at Ducasse under the ADNY posts.

Again, it's a pleasure to join egullet, by the way.

Does anyone know if there is a sommelier team at Per Se?  I dined there a few weeks ago, and I had trouble identifying the sommeliers.

There clearly is a team. The last time I was there, a guy came over and introduced himself as one of the sommeliers. Obviously for such a restaurant, one person could not do it alone.

However, once we requested a wine pairing, we saw the same sommelier the whole evening.

It wasn't so clear when I was there. The same person who took the wine order also served us a few of our courses, which is something I've never seen in a highly-esteemed restaurant, especially a Michelin 3-star.

But I hasten to add that overall, my meal at Per Se was fundamentally Michelin 3-star level, and the servers were ultra-friendly.

I was just wondering, has anyone had the same impression of Per Se's wine service as I did?  When I dined there a few weeks ago, I was struck by a noticeable lack of order among the sommelier team. ...

I do not have the same impression that you had based on the two times I have been. Assisted by the same sommelier both times and he was very knowledgeable and as personable a person I have met. A+ for service and the list with good deals and bottles where the sky is the limit.

Sorry to beat a dead turducken, but I ordered one bottle -- perhaps that's why I didn't get one dedicated sommelier that night. Or perhaps it's a matter of not having enough staff on the floor. I understand that Per Se is having a difficult time retaining servers, whether due to the issue of front and back sharing "tips" (though they are technically not tips, per se) or Keller's (and specifically Laura Cunningham's) uncompromising standards.

Sorry to beat a dead turducken, but I ordered one bottle -- perhaps that's why I didn't get one dedicated sommelier that night.  Or perhaps it's a matter of not having enough staff on the floor.  I understand that Per Se is having a difficult time retaining servers, whether due to the issue of front and back sharing "tips" (though they are technically not tips, per se) or Keller's (and specifically Laura Cunningham's) uncompromising standards.

I also ordered only one bottle the first time (it was even only $80 bucks granted it was a Nicolas Joly so really it was a deal at the price - I did have a glass of red at around course 6) and the second time we ordered two bottles (one was only $55 - Lafon's 2004 Macon and the other was an $85 bottle of the Capiaux Widow's Vineyard Pinot from California - both were steals IMHO) so I do not think that the wine you order makes much of a difference since I am sure these were by no means big dollar wines and as I noted above we had outstanding wine service both times. I just think that your impression is just different from mine. Nothing wrong with it, just drive on I say....drive on.

First, happy birthday.  Second, enjoy the view of Columbus Circle.  Lastly, enjoy the service.  Per Se puts on a class act.  Have fun - and do remember to report back.  I've been to both TFL and PS and I'm always curious how others have experienced the two in tandem.

u.e.

We at at TFL in April 05 and at Per Se this past June. My general impressions comparing the two restaurants are that I much preferred the setting (town, building, decor, etc.) at TFL while slightly enjoying the food more at Per Se. A few more misses at TFL, which might simply be due to what was on the menu that night. For instance, the salmon dish at TFL was a bit mushy and quite flavorless. I didn't have any similar issues at Per Se with the added bonus of the cheese and dessert courses being much more memorable.

That being said, I found the wines selected by the sommelier at Per Se a disappointment compared to those we sampled at TFL. Of particular note at TFL was the house label Cabernet, "Modicum", made at Harlan Estate. Perhaps not a fair comparison and worth noting that it is not available at Per Se.

On another subject, I remember a friend of mine having an issue with a lobster course, specifically that it was thoroughly tough. I did not have that experience -- mine was deliriously tender. Is the lobster bedeviling the restaurant? Perhaps I missed some discussions upthread.

On another subject, I remember a friend of mine having an issue with a lobster course, specifically that it was thoroughly tough.  I did not have that experience -- mine was deliriously tender.  Is the lobster bedeviling the restaurant?  Perhaps I missed some discussions upthread.

Yep: Check here, here, and here.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

On another subject, I remember a friend of mine having an issue with a lobster course, specifically that it was thoroughly tough.  I did not have that experience -- mine was deliriously tender.  Is the lobster bedeviling the restaurant?  Perhaps I missed some discussions upthread.

Yep: Check here, here, and here.

u.e.

Hey, those posts look familiar. :cool:

...as does that tough lobster :unsure:

Re the lobster

At our meal at Per Se in June, we had a side-by-side comparison of the Nova Scotia lobster cuit sous vide (on the menu) v. butter poached as one of us requested the latter be substituted.

No contest: the butter poached won hands-down with the cuit sous vide version being much more tough.