• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Place names that include specific food references

Pan

Flourtown, PA, named for the mills that used to run here. The main street is Bethlehem Pike, which according to your translation, is another flour-related name.

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.--fortune cookie.

Lemon Cove, CA

Manteca, CA

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Manteca, CA

Speaking of lard....

There's a string of tiny towns to the east of Coimbra in Portugal all named Venda de....(something). I can't remember all of them, but my two favorites are:

Venda de Porco (pork sale)

Venda de Banha (lard sale)

Then there are the Avelãs (north of Coimbra)--Avelãs de Caminho (road hazelnuts) and Avelãs de Cima ("upper" hazelnuts).

This area of the country has particularly colorful place names, for some reason.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Some towns in Florida not previously mentioned upthread.......

Cocoa Village

Coconut Creek

Citrus Ridge

Duck Key

Fruit Cove

Fruitville

Madeira Beach

Mango

Mayo

Orange City

Otter Creek

Pigeon Key

Quail Heights

Salt Springs

Snapper Creek

Sugarloaf

Sugarloaf Key

Tangerine

Stretching it a bit, there's also - Land O Lakes

Does Noodles, Arizona -------a la Snoopy/Peanuts/Chas Shultz comic strip count?

It is a real town!! :biggrin:

Uhhhh,

Actually it's Needles.

That's where Snoopy's brother, Spike, lives. And since it was before the birth of Spike Lee, he has been unable to successfully sue the Schultz estate.

JPW -- You are right! Needles - not Noodles. I was walking around with not much on my mind, and all of a sudden -- "Needles" popped in my head and I realized I was wrong.

I'm happy that there actually is a Needles, AZ --- is there a Noodles, too?

One of my all-time favorite place names:

Gnaw Bone, Indiana

(its provenance has nothing to do with gnawing or bones, but is a corruption of the French "Norbonne")

Gnaw Bone is right up there with 2 other interestingly named towns in southern Indiana...

Floyds Knob & French Lick

Does Noodles, Arizona -------a la Snoopy/Peanuts/Chas Shultz comic strip count?

It is a real town!! :biggrin:

Uhhhh,

Actually it's Needles.

That's where Snoopy's brother, Spike, lives. And since it was before the birth of Spike Lee, he has been unable to successfully sue the Schultz estate.

JPW -- You are right! Needles - not Noodles. I was walking around with not much on my mind, and all of a sudden -- "Needles" popped in my head and I realized I was wrong.

I'm happy that there actually is a Needles, AZ --- is there a Noodles, too?

I couldn't find a Noodles, AZ on mapquest, but it did bring up a "Noodles Lake, Michigan" :smile:

However, I too was wrong.

I always thought that Needles was in AZ, but a couple of different searches failed to turn it up. There is a "Needles Eye" in AZ, but I think that the only real Needles is in CA. Spike's home

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

How about Kona, Hawaii? Or General Coffee State Park in Georgia? Coffee Creek, Montana! Or you can munch on these...

North Bibb, AL

Vidalia, GA

Peach Springs and Tombstone, AZ

Turkey Creek, LA

Plum Island and Little Cranberry Island, ME

Coconut Grove, CA

Savoy, VT

Mesquite and Corona NM

Cherry Plain State Park, NY and OLEAN, NY

Mayo, FL

Yam Hill and Strawberry Mountain in OR

There's also Baltimore, MD of the famous cake(S), and Waldorf, MD. Yeah, Yeah I know that the salad got its name from the hotel. Internationally speaking, I'm sure there's a ton but the Paris-Brest comes to mind. This cream filled yum yum got its name because it was served on the trains that ran between those two cities. :cool: