• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Chicken en Mole

Oops! I'd put down 6:00 in my planner and now I see it's changed. :shock: I can't get there until around 5:30 or a bit later. I hope that's ok? I'm really looking forward to this :biggrin:

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I can't be there before 5:30 or after, depending on traffic.

Everyone please bring CASH for ease of settling the bill after dinner.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I have come down with a really nasty cold and am not going to be able to make it tonight. I know you all are going to have a great time.

Reservations have been made for 10 people under the name of eGullet for 5:30. The restaurant serves smallish dishes meant to be shared so I don't think people need to show up at the same time. I know DRColby and his wife and possibly Blue Heron will be there between 5:00 and 5:30 with others showing up between 5:30 and 6:00.

As MsRamsey says, remember to bring cash to make the bill paying easier.

Have Fun.

Lauren

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I'm buried in work, so I won't be able to make it in time. Be sure to get some posole!!!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

CRAPOLA ---

Can't make it, got called in to work. Grrrr.... :angry:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I called La Carta de Oaxaca to tell them there would be only 6 people instead of the 10 I had made reservations for. They only make reservations for 8 or more people so there is no longer a reservation being held. Since you all are going so early, I wouldn't worry about getting in.

Again, have fun. I wish I could be there!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

mmmm... that mole was good! So was the posole! Actually everything I tasted last night was good, but the highlights for me were the mole and posole.

We also split an order of lamb burria (sp?), chile rellenos, shrimp cocktail, and I also had a bite of empanada. The entrees came with rice and some w/ beans and 2 excellent corn tortillas. Prices are reasonable.

Great to meet DRColby and and Mrs. DRColby, as well as Seagal, and see Laurel and Joe again.

LEdlund, thank you so much for organizing and setting up the reservation. I'm sorry you and the others couldn't make it. You were all missed.

Anyone who still hasn't been, I think we'd all give this place our thumbs up recommendation. I want to go back and try the tacos al pastor, too.

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

:biggrin: I'm happy. Last's night dinner at La Carta de Oaxaca was really good--some things bordering on sublime. I enjoyed meeting everyone since it was my first egullet expedition. I felt that La Carta is one of the closest "authentic" Mexican dining experiences I've had in Seattle.

The portions are small enough that it's easy to share several things and the prices are very reasonable. While everything we tasted was good, here are a few of my biases:

I really loved the Posole. The broth was porky, fragrant and red-chile infused and there was just the right amount of hominy and tender pork chunks. It came with the usual side of shredded cabbage, chopped onion, lime and radish chunks and a couple of the lovely handmade (you can watch them being made at the counter) tortillas. I haven't had any Posole that good since I was in Morelia, MX.

I thought the Mole was really good, but not great. (I was in the minority--I think everyone else liked it best). It was just a bit too sweet and not (heat) spicy enough for me--but, it was still really good.

What I really loved was the lamb birria. It was really lamby, in a lamb stew kind of way. Chunks of tender lamb braised in a slightly sour chile gravy. It was served with excellent rice and black beans. One interesting note is that they serve two different types of rice. I think the mole came with whitish and the birria came with a reddish rice (or vice versa?) and they were both good--no frozen peas and carrots in sight.

The shrimp cocktail was ok, but they used little bay shrimp with avocados in a fairly sweet cocktail sauce. I like Burrito Loco's better--they use big, fresh cooked shrimp and the sauce is thinner--probably just a different style from a different area of Mexico.

Anyway, it was really nice to meet Blue Heron, Laurel, Joe and DRColby and Mrs. DRColby and I'm definitely going back to try more.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

YAY!!!!

You guys are mindreaders, I logged on this morning hoping to find descriptions of last night's eats, and you delivered! GOD it sounds like it was good. My wife is an archaelogist and does her fieldwork in Mexico, I'm gonna have to get her down there and we'll eat!

Thanks for the descriptions!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

SO ---

After reading about the dinner the other night I HAD to go...and, it was my B-day yesterday (let's see 34....3+4...I'm now 7!) and there was NO WAY I was gonna let work call me in...

There were 10 of us, (SO GLAD we called and made a 6:30 reservation, by about 6:50 the place was PACKED.) Couple of things:

They need a sign. If I hadn't been looking out the window watching for my friends, they would have probably wasted 5 minutes trying to figure out where it was. (One person walked all the way down to Matador down the block)(BTW...What is the story on that place? Anyway....)

Not letting people know that they charge for chips is annoying. Yes, they were fabulous, yes they were freshly made, so fresh that I couldn't hold a few of them, but we would'nt have ordered 6 baskets if we had know they were $4 each.

Which brings me to my last...(I will admit, upfront, I am an unapologitic glutton. Even more so when the food tastes as good as it did last night). I thought the portion sizes were just too damn small. 5 bites of chicken and 7 of rice, with the plate wiped clean form the tortilla, was a good snack. We got a bowl of posole which was excellent, but I made the error of sharing it with the other people at the table. That said. We WILL be going back. Just next time, I'll cool it with the drinks and will just be repared to order more.

Sorry tha I couldn't make it Wednesday, sounds like it was fun and I REALLY want to meet you folks. Another time...

They need a sign. If I hadn't been looking out the window watching for my friends, they would have probably wasted 5 minutes trying to figure out where it was. (One person walked all the way down to Matador down the block)(BTW...What is the story on that place? Anyway....)

Not letting people know that they charge for chips is annoying. Yes, they were fabulous, yes they were freshly made, so fresh that I couldn't hold a few of them, but we would'nt have ordered 6 baskets if we had know they were $4 each.

I agree about the sign. I also had a hard time finding the place.

Wow, I had no idea the chips were that expensive. I was wondering why we didn't get any when I saw others with them, but I forgot to ask about them. They should be astoundingly good for that price. Do you get something with them like a special salsa or something?

As far as portions, they are definitely smaller than most Mexican places which makes for the possibility of trying several items in one meal, but might not be so good if you're a big eater.

Jan

Edited by SeaGal (log)

Jan

Seattle, WA

We finally tried La Carta de Oaxaca tonight and once again egulleteers have not led me astray. The best Mexican food I've had in Seattle for sure. It was all good (we shared ten dishes for four people and that was about right for our group), but I was particularly partial to the posole and the tacos al pastor.

We'll definitely be going back.

Edited by kieran (log)

Sea Gal --- They WERE that good, but, like I said, we would not have gone so crazy on them if we had known. And right....Not so good if you are a big eater....I'll just know to order more on the first go around next time :laugh:

I will, too. After it started to get busy, (not that I am complaining, he was running his ass off,) it was hard to get the servers attention. He was very, very nice though.

I will, too. After it started to get busy, (not that I am complaining, he was running his ass off,) it was hard to get the servers attention. He was very, very nice though.

That was something we noticed too. Our service was okay, but it definitely seemed like they could have used another server working the room. The two guys that were there were pretty frantic.