• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitted Egg?

ronnie_suburban

I think it is a misconstruction of "beaten."

...was thinking the same thing but figured this was the place to find out for sure.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Just to wrap this up (or push it along :wink:), I have been informed that a bitted egg is actually a double-yolked egg. Not sure of the origin of 'bitted' though.

=R=

I think it's a beaten egg with two yolks.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If you google, you'll find a number of sites that seem to indicate it means "beaten".

Thanks Katherine, that seems much more realistic and makes more sense to me given the context of the recipe (B'stilla). I just cannot imagine a recipe relying or calling for double-yolked eggs. But my source is usually very reliable so I give him the benefit of the doubt. And I knew if there was more information avaiable, someone here would fill it in. :smile:

Jaymes...what you're suggesting is what my friend told me could be substituted for a bitted egg. Hmmm, the plot thickens...

=R=

I think it's a beaten egg with two yolks.

The first entry in a google search refers to "bitted egg white".

Actually I was yust yolking.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

While on the topic of double yolks, :smile: I recently had a carton of eggs in which over half of the 12 were double-yolked! Kind of weird.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I just love double-yolkers. :smile: My granny had a hen that seemed to produce them all the time. I've never had one from a supermarket.

It's not a coincidence. A few reasons why you never see double-yolked eggs in a supermarket:

Double-yolked eggs are produced by older hens, which tend to lay larger eggs. So double-yolked eggs might be either jumbo or super jumbo (a size I only see at the egg farm store). So if you bought jumbo eggs all the time, you might see a double-yolked egg in the spring, as the layers reach their second year. At this time, the new layers are laying pullet eggs or even smaller (I can get these at the egg farm really cheap by the flat).

Egg farms turn over their hen populations once a year, as the eggs get too large (the demand is for extra-large and large sizes).

I believe that when they candle eggs as part of the quality control procedure, they remove most of the double-yolked eggs.