• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Kid Who Ate Paste

Pickles

A kid in our neighborhood used to eat bugs for a nickel. Does that count?

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

MMMMMmmmm. Play-dough. :biggrin:

I used to eat this. Then again, it was the homemade play-dough my mom made (which is all we ever played with): flour, water, a bit o' salt, dash of alum, food coloring. Not really very tasty, but seemed 'food-y' (considering I'd just seen it made on the stove) and fun to nibble on, on occasion.

Don't think I would have eaten the 'real' stuff - who knows where it has been? :blink:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I have made so much playdough I should have a degree in it! I can make regular

playdough, playdough in the microwave, I can make it any color, put sparkles in

it, noodles for texture, dayglow for black lights etc. I've made tons of it and half

the kids in the classroom gobble it up. Maybe I should try to make some broccoli

playdough?

Melissa

When I was a really little kid, I remember that the laundry starch came in a box and it was in lumps. I used to always get a lump to munch on when laundry day came around. It didn't taste like much, it was just cornstarch, but I liked the odd squeaky kind of scrunch it made when you bit into it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I can make regular

it, noodles for texture, dayglow for black lights etc.

Microwave playdough!!!! Recipe please!!!!

I used to love to eat the salt kind. Licking your fingers after playdough time was the best! Yummmmm.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I can make regular

it, noodles for texture, dayglow for black lights etc.

Microwave playdough!!!! Recipe please!!!!

I used to love to eat the salt kind. Licking your fingers after playdough time was the best! Yummmmm.

Microwave playdough:

2 cups flour

1 cup salt

1 Tbs. Alum

1Tbs. veg. oil

2 cups water

mix all ingredients in a microwave bowl. Stir in food coloring. Heat for two

minutes and then stir well- repeat until dough looks like play dough. Let

it cool on the counter for a while and then knead it until it is all one color- add

more veg. oil if needed. Now, add different shaped pasta, gitter, uncooked rice,

sand, perfumes, whatever the kids will respond to. Store what the kids don't eat

in a zip-lock bag or an air-tight container. Have Fun!

Melissa

I used to sneak cough syrup. My mom, when she found out, thought it was because I would get drunk off it, but that wasn't it. I just liked the sweetness. That orange stuff was the best. Triaminic, I think it was called.

I also used to chew pencils, and I don't mean little tooth marks everywhere, but actual chewing through. I don't know what that was all about.

Also I used to dip a spoon in the sugar bowl and lick it, but that's not too weird, is it?

I would chew on my mouth guard during field hockey games. When the ball came to me I would have to quickly swallow what I had been munching on. By the end of the season, there was hardly anything left to protect my mouth! :laugh:

Eating of pencils reminded me that every now and then I'll eat a toothpick, but I also recalled the time my friend Sootch managed to consume about a one foot piece of string. Sootch is quite a storyteller, so it would be best if you could hear him tell about it, but I'll try and relate his story the best I can.

He had been nibbling and chewing on the length of string all day while working at his dad's gas station. By the end of the shift it was gone, but he didn't think anything of it. However, when he went to evacuate his large intestine the next day he felt something strange. He stood up and something hit him in the back of his thigh.

Looking down between his legs he saw a piece of shit (literally in this case), hanging about 8" down on a string coming out of his rear end. His first thought was to pull it out, put even with just a light tug the pain was excructiating.

Sootch hobbled over to the medicine cabinet, grabbed a pair of scissors, snipped the string off as near its upper terminus as possible, and finished his business.

Apparently the next day everything else came out okay.

Eating of pencils reminded me that every now and then I'll eat a toothpick, but I also recalled the time my friend Sootch managed to consume about a one foot piece of string. Sootch is quite a storyteller, so it would be best if you could hear him tell about it, but I'll try and relate his story the best I can.

He had been nibbling and chewing on the length of string all day while working at his dad's gas station. By the end of the shift it was gone, but he didn't think anything of it. However, when he went to evacuate his large intestine the next day he felt something strange. He stood up and something hit him in the back of his thigh.

Looking down between his legs he saw a piece of shit (literally in this case), hanging about 8" down on a string coming out of his rear end. His first thought was to pull it out, put even with just a light tug the pain was excructiating.

Sootch hobbled over to the medicine cabinet, grabbed a pair of scissors, snipped the string off as near its upper terminus as possible, and finished his business.

Apparently the next day everything else came out okay.

That was WAY more information than I needed.

Really.

I would send that one to Readers Digest "Towards More Picturesque Speach".

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

How about those wax lips, and wax bottles filled with sugar syrup some of us had as kids. We used to chew and eat that wax! :blink: I just thought of that today while I was driving home. :laugh:

Right! And the candy dots? They made you have pica bacause you always

got some of the paper in your mouth while trying to rip off the dots with your teeth.

Melissa

How about those wax lips, and wax bottles filled with sugar syrup some of us had as kids.  We used to chew and eat that wax!  :blink:  I just thought of that today while I was driving home.  :laugh:

Right! And the candy dots? They made you have pica bacause you always

got some of the paper in your mouth while trying to rip off the dots with your teeth.

Forgot all about the wax stuff.

And let's not forget Pixie Sticks.

amanda

Googlista

BTW, Gastronomica Magazine's Spring 2002 issue contained this article:

Women Who Eat Dirt, by Susan Allport

(Reviewed by Carolyn Tille on eG's Media Discussion Board)

"Very fascinating article about dirt (specifically, various types of mud) which are digestible, usually eaten by pregnant women, in Nepal, Africa, India, Central America, and the American South.

While the behavior doesn't appear to have been habitual, Ma catches the pregnant Rose of Sharon nibblin' on a little dirt in The Grapes of Wrath:

"Come on, what you nibblin' on?"

"Jus' a piece of slack lime. Foun' a big hunk."

"Why, that's jus' like eatin' dirt."

hmmm, slack lime....