• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rye flour: kinds and sources

phaelon56

My brother is now into breadmaking and asked for my assistance in finding the crucial ingredient for making real pumpernickel bread. Local markets have only standard rye flour, which is just a shade darker than whole wheat. He has found recipes with standard rye flour that use molasses and other colorants and flavors to achieve the pumpernickel effect but he's looking for the "real thing".

A description I found is paraphrased as follows:

The rye flour typically found in the local grocery store supermarket may be labeled as dark, medium, or light. It is a is a degermed product - the dark flour contains more bran the the light types. Flour sold as "pumpernickel" is a dark brown and coarsely ground rye meal. It includes coloring and flavoring agents.

So..... anyone know of a source? Prefer something cheap as shipping is likely to drive up the price (we are on the East Coast).

Try Bob's Red Mill--looks like they have a few different options:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=express

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

• 20 years later...

I'm making rye breads, and I'm somewhat astonished that rye flour isn't easy to come by. My HEBs, Central Market don't have it. You can get small packages at Wheatsville. But where can you get POUNDS of the stuff, ideally in bulk?

If you're looking for even larger bags of flour and don't mind online shopping, Amazon has some options:

100% Organic Whole Dark Rye Flour - 25 lbs… (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) from Central Milling, for $65

Great River Organic Milling, Whole Grain, Rye Grain, Organic, 25-Pounds (Pack of 1) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) $44 (Note: it says it's discontinued by manufacturer, so that may account for the lower price compared to Central Milling)

There are other sizes and prices available, if you go to Amazon and search for Rye Flour. King Arthur offers it, of course, but the largest size bag I see listed is 3 pounds. The Bob's Red Mill packages are also relatively small although you can buy them bundled.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown