• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25th anniversary dinner

Guest johnh91011

Guest johnh91011

We are going to be celebrating our 25th anniversary on St. Patricks day in March. Would like recommendations for a very special restaurant. Preferably BYOB since we have 2 bottles of very special Chateau Margaux for the occasion.

I think that NYC is out since there are so few BYOB's there although some restaurants charge a corkage fee.

ANy help would be appreciated

I DON'T THINK THAT YOU SHOULD WRITE NEW YORK OFF THAT QUICKLY. ONE OF THE BEST RESTAURANTS, IMHO, IS GRAMERCY TAVERN AND THEY ONLY CHARGE $20.00 PER BOTTLE CORKAGE. SO, IF YOU SAY THAT YOU HAVE TWO VERY SPECIAL BOTTLES OF CHATEAU MARGAUX I WOULD THINK THAT YOU WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HAVE VERY SPECIAL FOOD TO GO WITH THEM. I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU SPRING FOR THEIR MOST REASONABLE CORKAGE CHARGE AND MAKE A RESERVATION SOON.

Hank

Scalini Fedeli in Chatham - definitely one of my finest dining experiences.

I think their corkage fee is $15.

I've also heard great things about Whispers in Spring Lake and Saddle River Inn – I don't know if they have a corkage fee, you may want to call. I know Saddle River Inn had over a month wait when I called one time, so I wrote them off.

:D

Happy Anniversary! 25 years certainly is something to celebrate. :wub:

Depending on the ambience you're looking for, I'll chime in (as I have in the past) and suggest Tim Shafer's in Morristown. I've had great special occasion dinners there with both intimate and large gatherings. The caveat here is that it's hardly a quiet, romantic setting--but I like it because it's fun! And they really do appreciate foodies there. Their menus are on line, I think, although I'm not certain about all of the seasonal items. Worth a look if you don't want a quiet corner table where you can just sit and gaze into one anothers' eyes...

The other suggestion is Il Mundo Vecchio in Madison, but I haven't been in YEARS; you'll have to depend on other egulleteers for more current thoughts.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I's suggest Stage House Inn..not sure when the anniversary falls, they waive corkage M-th, and have areasonable fee the other times. Call to confirm, I believe this policy is still in effect.

I's suggest Stage House Inn..not sure when the anniversary falls, they waive corkage M-th, and have areasonable fee the other times. Call to confirm, I believe this policy is still in effect.

You're in luck! There is no corkage fee at SHI on March 17th (unless they change their policy before that date.) I second Kim's suggestion for your special dinner. Congratulations! We also celebrated our 25th at SHI and it was wonderful.

KathyM

Hasn't Rosie stated that in New Jersey charging corkage is illegal?

Hasn't Rosie stated that in New Jersey charging corkage is illegal?

It's illegal to charge corkage in a BYO--not in an establishment that has a liquor license.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

For our 10th, we went to Cafe Matisse in Rutherford. Its BYO, romantic (at least by my standards) and has an interesting menu (although limited). We really enjoyed our evening - take a look to see if it fits your style (www.cafematisse.com). And - congratulations!!