• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Chicken

Monica Bhide

and they make good pets! my mom and dad had one for a while. she was really cute, her name was "moppy" referring to her appearance. when my mom would walk into the yard, she'd come running...but to nobody else! she always tried to peck my toes :biggrin:

edited to add educational material:

the chinese call the silky bantam or black chicken: wu-gu gi (can't put the tones over the words, sorry...)

Edited by alanamoana (log)

I had never seen or heard of it before. What does it taste like?

alanamoana -- after reading your post, I doubt i will ever eat one or should I say moppy! :raz::wink:

Erm. Really dry chicken. My opinion on the things is documented somewhere... here!

If you're tempted by the thing, make it into a soup.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

THe Chickens are called:

Black Silky

Blue Silky

That's correct they come in both Black and Blue.

They look very different but taste the same as any other Chicken.

Theres lots of information on the internet about then even with pictures. They are served mostly in Chinese Cusine and some feel theu have medicinal qualities.

Appearently they were at some time it's rumored reserved for the Emperor.

I was asked about then on another site, and there were many responses. They are available at most Asian Markets. I have a pair in my freezer from a "Ranch 99" Supermarket that will be served as a joke to a friend whose got the Winter Blahs and say's he feeling Black. It should perk him up, surely surprise him.

Anyway he's a Patriot Fan so it will be his Superbowl Treat. No matter who wins this should create a unusual effect.

Irwin :wacko::biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

also, i worked at a restaurant (fusion, of course) where we smoked it and served it with regular chicken...a sort of "black and white, yin and yang" dish. what a load of cccccccrap :huh: .

wesza, you're correct, the chinese do believe it is good for you. then again, what doesn't kill you...

also, i worked at a restaurant (fusion, of course) where we smoked it and served it with regular chicken...a sort of "black and white, yin and yang" dish. what a load of cccccccrap :huh: .

wesza, you're correct, the chinese do believe it is good for you. then again, what doesn't kill you...

:laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

yup i tried eating the chicken. the flesh was miserable and the meat was dry and stringy.

usually used to make soup and extract the flavor. Think of it as Poultry Bouquet Garni *LOL*

the bones are black too

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.