• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creative Beer Names

john b

Our trip to NYC for my wife's birthday included stops at the Heartland Chop House for a pre-theater lunch and Gingerman after dinner.

Featured at Heartland was their "Not Tonight Honey Porter". I didn't get to try it, due to my self imposed limit of one beer before the show. I had the Farmer John's Oatmeal Stout, which was great. That's one dangerous beer. It is a very smooth, easy drinking stout. Before you know it, your glass is empty and you want more.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

My sister once brewed a beer for a competition that she decided to call Goat Scrotum Ale. A friend of hers created a great label for it, but it didn't win.

My favorite name for a commercial beer is Magnolia's (SF brewpub) Cole Porter.

I spent 15 years of my life making up beer names and it can be kind of fun. Turbodog probably was my crowning moment (two guys were involved. We were drunk when we made it up-now there's a suprise :wink: ). The story of how we came up with it will never be very clear , much like the rest of the history of the beer business. everybody was too busy drinking to write it down :wacko: ).

As far as other people's names go I have always liked

Bill Owen's Alimony Ale-The Bitterest Beer in America

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The Porter House in Dublin makes a 7% ABV ale called An Brainblasta. I believe they only sell it by the glass (half pint).

They have a limit on how many they will sell you, but it doesn't seem to be enforced very well.

The Porter House makes some very fine beers that are often overlooked by travelers who comment, " It's right over by St James Gate. They make beer there too, why do we want micro beer when we can have a Guinness?".

The Porter House in Dublin makes a 7% ABV ale called An Brainblasta. I believe they only sell it by the glass (half pint).

They have a limit on how many they will sell you, but it doesn't seem to be enforced very well.

The Porter House makes some very fine beers that are often overlooked by travelers who comment, " It's right over by St James Gate. They make beer there too, why do we want micro beer when we can have a Guinness?".

I know, it breaks my heart. I was a regular when they first opened, and found it a wonderful friendly pub. The other sacrilege is neglecting to try Beamish and Murphy's, especially when travelling in Cork.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

There is another one in London, just off Covent Garden. Not sure how it compares to the Dublin original, but not a bad place for a pint. Impressive selection of bottled beers (They have glass cases all around of obscure ones people have brought in, they have a 'if we haven't already got it - get a free drink' policy).

I tried the An Brainblasta. Definitely not a 'session' drink!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Some years back when the Pope came to Denver, a Colorado brewpub made two beers for the occasion. I forget the one name (Popeus visitus or something like that) but they named another beer Ale Mary.

John the hot dog guy

Polygomy Porter is one of my all time favorites. It is produced by Squatter's Brewpub in Salt Lake City, Utah. They usually have a slogan or two poking fun at their non drinking Mormon neighbors (who often react in a way that would indicate that the jokes are not so entertaining to them.

This link is from the Salt Lake Paper and has a story related to the beer and the pub.

Some years back when the Pope came to Denver, a Colorado brewpub made two beers for the occasion. I forget the one name (Popeus visitus or something like that) but they named another beer Ale Mary.

I believe the St Louis Brewery (Schlafly's) made a Holy Smoke beer for the Pope's visit to their town.

Ale Mary, Brilliant!

There used to be a fearsomely strong brew called Uncle Igor's Famous Falling Down Water (It was more the strength of a fortified wine).

A particular favourite is the delighfully named Waggle Dance (After the dance Bees make- it's a honey beer) brewed by Vaux brewery in Sunderland.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

A particular favourite is the delighfully named Waggle Dance (After the dance Bees make- it's a honey beer) brewed by Vaux brewery in Sunderland.

I've heard of Waggle Dance, but the one I know is brewed by Young's.

Quick bit of internet research has revealed that Vaux brewery is no more :sad:

The recipe for waggle dance was then taken on by Youngs.

It's a shame, Vaux brewery was an interesting, old fashioned town centre brewery (They still delivered by Dray Horse to the local pubs). I had no idea - I haven't been in the north east for a few years now.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I think it's funny how Quebecois really think beer is the drink of the Devil. So they advertise Molson's (circa 1996) with the slogan "Un gout qui pete le feu" ("A taste that farts fire") and have brands with names like "Maudite" ("Curse") and "La Fin du Monde" ("The End of the Earth"), with appropriately apocalyptic pictures on the labels.

Michael aka "Pan"

And who could forget the infamous Blackened Voodoo Lager? It went on to be banned by the state of Texas. In retaliation, Louisiana outlawed Lone Star.

I think the border skirmishes have tapered off, and Lone Star in once again available...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Two of my favorite beer names are Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot and McQuire's I'll Have What the Gentleman on the Floor is Having.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody