• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fat Kat in Little Ferry

markymark

yes i am the manager

when this is confirmed you should know that Fat Kat was on my list (i literally keep a list), and i will now take it off.

i really thought you might want to make an opinion on your own and not be so hostile.

you're missing the point. i *have* made an opinion on my own: on the management.

i don't see how you think i'm being hostile. if anything i'm trying to help you. although rebecca has taken much more time and effort in doing just that, and has (hopefully) done it better than i ever could.

i certainly hope the Fat Kat sticks around and thrives.

This I find hard to believe.

then you obviously don't know me very well. i want nothing more than a great chef to not be held back by questionable management, service, or anything else out of his/her control. it kills me when this happens.

do you have anything else to add? regarding my thoughts and values? i'm listening. thanks. :raz:

Edited by tommy (log)

OK, folks, I've just got to take a shot at this, my 'positive service' training chops need the workout, I've been ooc since February, ya' know?

"i really thought you might want to make an opinion on your own and not be so hostile."

Um, YOU'VE been, perhaps unwittingly, hostile.

"im not trying to be arrogant or a know it all but i think youre losing sight of what e gullet is about."

We all can agree, eGullet is not about bashing people with your opinions and hurt feelings, it's about elucidation and dialogue that engenders MORE knowledge and pleasure in our chosen topics. Many professionals are here on eGullet, and the dialogues we have here are more thoughtful and positive than in many other places. eGullet is a great place for someone who wants to please customers! Heck, eGullet is a great place to simply find out what your customers really think of what you're doing.

"its not about threats as in "you are off the list" its about honesty and if i feel someone made mistakes in the accuracy of their post i should be allowed to correct it."

As you state, it is your FEELING that the opinions stated which offend your sensibilities are inaccurate, FEELINGS do not give you complete knowledge, and as such, if you want to be successful as a manager, you do not 'correct' other's opinion in a disdainful and offensive manner, you work to repair poor opinion of your product/service. No one listens to you after you've insulted their opinions, they can't learn anything from you when you've angered them and made them feel that you don't care about their opinions or feelings.

"this is my last post and in case no one has noticed no one has posted on this site since may 2005......... excuse me one post in nov.

so if i have stirred the interest of people to engage in lively debates about the culinary arts i am happy."

All that you have succeeded in doing so far is cause ill will and a reinforcement of the FEELING that all is not what it could be where you are involved.

"the reason i joined was to try to give some insight to the other side of the coin. in a business that has a 98% fail rate we feel blessed to still be here after 2 years. we all work long and hard hours for one goal and that is to please the customer, we cannot make all the people happy ETC ETC

so try not to be so close minded."

I'd like to think that YOU'RE not so much 'close minded' as simply lacking in self awareness. We are many of us 'the other side of the coin' ourselves, you are not offering anything if you can't do it in a positive manner. If you really mean what you are saying about genuinely wanting to "please the customer", then please, read my next bit below.

"and with this i will leave e gullet"

The best, most positive thing that you can do is not to leave, but to apologize sincerely for your offensive beginning and open yourself to a real dialogue with others. There are so many ways to improve the problems mentioned here, and eGullet is not about bashing you, it IS about elucidation and camaraderie. For instance, if you feel that the shrimp were unfairly judged by their small amount, perhaps you can change the menu description of the dish to say "garnished with". I haven't perused the menu, so I can not say with certainty, but I get the idea that some of the problem lies with the way the dishes are described therein. My dear, that is a communication problem, and you DO want to clear those up, I know!That's just a small thing, but there are so many other positive things that you can accomplish by thinking before you speak, or write, and by staying on and really trying to have open dialogue. I hate to see you walk away(from what could be a really educational forum for you and for all of us) just because you've started off with foot in mouth a little, let's find a way for you to start fresh here instead. You could take a deep breath, gather your thoughts, and keep your ultimate goal in mind while you're writing(that's right, pleased customers). Some valid points HAVE been brought up, none of us is perfect, and there is always room for growth when there is room to listen to the customers' opinions. How can you play the game if you don't stay in it? Walking away is like saying that you are inflexible or unable to please those who have a problem with your product, and I'm sure that is not your intention. So, while I do think you've been offensive, it's not a hopeless offense, and you can really do some good here for yourself if you DON'T just leave, but you try to make amends and then start fresh by addressing the issues brought up in a more open minded manner.

Just saw Kape's reply, and wouldn't it be a shame to keep some people from your place by being unkind on eGullet? :smile: BTW, I DO use smilies.

rebecca i had to come back one more time.

getting past the your feelings my feelings had nothing to do with it ;

and i dont need "sensitivity training" i need customers to get past the "going with what's hot right now" and again not to beat an old horse but for goodness sakes get out there and FORM YOUR OWN OPINIONS. rise up against the rising tide of conformity. be the breakout person and get back to the focus of this sight

which is to converse about food, service, ambience location etc of the places you go to eat.I realize it's a lot easier to follow the popular crowd, but theres a lot to be said for being the underdog and following the road less traveled. usually the underdog turns out to be right in the long run.

This I find hard to believe.

then you obviously don't know me very well. i want nothing more than a great chef to not be held back by questionable management, service, or anything else out of his/her control. it kills me when this happens.

do you have anything else to add? regarding my thoughts and values? i'm listening. thanks. :raz:

thanks for the raz. why dont you come clean? you seem to have a lot of opinions about me but all i get from you is NEGATIVE input.

how did you ever get a membership in this website?

it seems like you're sitting home being bitter

thanks for the raz. why dont you come clean? you seem to have a lot of opinions about me but all i get from you is NEGATIVE input.

how did you ever get a membership in this website?

it seems like you're sitting home being bitter

(oh boy) I'm coming in late to this whole thing, and the opinion that have formulated all by my little own self is:

CUT YOUR LOSSES!! I think some damage controll is prudent NOW!!! In a business that has a self proclaimed failure rate of 95%, words, actions,body movements, hand gestures, and facial expressions must be chosen carefully. Even if it means that I have to serve the fine gentleman who created the 6 month delay for me in my zoning board fiasco(see Amazing Hot Dog thread) with a smile and a friendly disposition, I'll do it. As much as I might not agree with his position, he absolutley had and has a right to voice his concerns about my proposed restaurant coming into his nieghborhood that he has lived in for 30+ years, but that's another story.

As far as Fat Kat goes, I don't live near it, however I do travel for food. As a reader of this thread, I may be put off by the negative overtones that were created by the management. I have eaten at restaurants that Egulleters have posted less than positive reviews about and either agreed or disagreed with their views, and I'll go back again or not based on my own opinion,but this negativity goes beyond that. It's like watching Corzine and Forrester bashing commercials, It makes me not want to vote for either party because of the ugliness that they are capapble of......O crap i did it, bought up politics, anyway, confucious say: It is always easier to put on a pair of slippers than to carpet the whole world.

"Cant we all just get along?"

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

do you have anything else to add?  regarding my thoughts and values?  i'm listening.  thanks.  :raz:

No, I guess not. I just thought that if you really hoped they'd thrive you'd go and eat there. I wouldn't, not after the actions of the manager on this thread. The level of arrogance just pisses me off too much. Now if the chef were to come on and say that he'd spoken to the manager and offer an apology for the things said then I'd have a change of heart.

Coming forward as a restauranter on Egullet can be dicey. Lou and the people from Fascino have handled it very well. Others have not. This person, we never did clarify gender here did we, has chosen not to seek business but to attack egullet members for their opinions, which is the height of stupidity. Having said this and having read what you wrote, Tommy, I was surprised to read that you hoped the restaurant would thrive. I'm not sure about your thoughts and values on other subjects. I know I respect your opinion about places to eat but after that who knows? How much can you read into someone's values by their knowledge of restaurants? I'm tempted to point out that Hitler was a vegetarian so you could intuit that he abhored cruelty to animals and yet.... You get the point.

Its late, I'm rambling. I need a drink, or a good night's sleep.

David, it's really not all that different than handing your customers. Be honest, correct mistakes, be attentive, have a great gift of bullshit and of course the ability to defend your actions. After all, most everyone thinks it's so easy to be in the restaurant business. Now go have that drink and settle down my friend. :smile:

Edited: Decent food helps otherwise you'll be defending yourself from here to oblivion.

Edited by Lreda (log)

do you have anything else to add?  regarding my thoughts and values?  i'm listening.  thanks.  :raz:

No, I guess not. I just thought that if you really hoped they'd thrive you'd go and eat there. I wouldn't, not after the actions of the manager on this thread. The level of arrogance just pisses me off too much. Now if the chef were to come on and say that he'd spoken to the manager and offer an apology for the things said then I'd have a change of heart.

well, i certainly won't be going there, basically for the same reasons as you. however, as i suggested, i don't wish failure on anyone. that doesn't mean they deserve my patronage, though.