• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed Fish Curry

For thai steamed curry hor mok pla i'm thinking of using a bain-marie instead of steaming (and also using ramekins instead of banana leaves). Neil Perry (in his Rockpool book) uses this technique to cook some fish mousse. Do you think it will work with this type of curry? Or it will puff/dry out?

and btw, intended to be served at room temperature.

thank you.

Oh, i'm sorry:

Bain-Marie (Mary's bath) refers to the method of placing a pan of food in another pan with water in it to stabilize the heat reaching the food (water bath).

(BAIN MARIE)

I call that using a double-boiler. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

I've even heard of it being prepared in "bulk" and portions spooned out.

Yes, this is what Thompson says in his book: use one ceramic bowl, although it's still steamed and not put in the oven.

The oven method btw is suggested in Thailand, The Beautiful Cookbook, as an aletrnative to the steaming.

Hi helenas

Still slightly confused here ...duh. When you say bain-marie - do you mean using a water bath in the oven or a double-boiler on the stove top?

If it's the water bath in the oven, I think it should work fine as it's approximately the same as steaming in a wok - we steam sweet and savoury custards in a wok and also use a water bath in the oven for creme caramel and they both work fine.

There is a similar Malaysian dish called otak-otak - a curry custard with pieces of boneless fish in it. There a few variations of otak-otak - it can be steamed in banana leaf parcels, grilled over charcoal fire in smaller banana leaf parcels or steamed in a dish with betel leaves lining the bottom of the dish.

Call me crazy but I find that banana leaves impart a subtle but pleasant vegetal aroma that you will not be able to replicate with ramekins. Ideal if you can get your hands on some but not a total loss otherwise.