• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Short Ribs and Oxtail

Schielke

Interstingly, I've found that in all of the butchers where I've a pain in the ass, they become invested in you as a customer, and more often than not are full of questions the next time you walk in. The simple truth is that most people have very little understanding of what they're asking for, and only half-an-idea of what to do with it when they get home (I have some understanding, and about three-quarters of an idea, so I'm slightly ahead). When I go in with questions about marbling, and collagen, and requesting advice, so far the response has been great.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I did this quite a lot in Italy with pork when I was into BBQ. Getting the right bit of shoulder was tricky until I worked out that it was called neck not shoulder and then it was easy. But yes, in general they like dealiing with something a bit unusual.

Now I can point in peace.

Moby, if ever interested in Austrian 'Gekochtes Rindfleisch' (boiled beef), here are the cuts to be known by the connoisseur.

Thanks Boris A. Alas my German is not what it should be.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Why are these two traditionally unpopular cuts of beef so expensive? I cannot find them for less than $4.00 a pound up here in Seattle. Should I start shopping the Asian markets?

Ben

To return to the original post, these Niman Ranch short ribs were the best I ever found in the states, but they have since doubled the price - 45 dollars for 2-3 pounds!

Flickr Food