• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Story of Varmint's Kitchen Renovation

Varmint

I don't have a microwave, but if I did, I'd want it higher than down in the base cabinets.

My favorite spot would be directly on a counter. I think it's the safest space for one. That's why I also said it could fit right on the countertop across from the fridge, right there in the corner on top of the wine fridge.

I showed Mrs. Varmint where the microwave was going. She said it was perfect. She doesn't say stuff like that very often. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I showed Mrs. Varmint where the microwave was going. She said it was perfect. She doesn't say stuff like that very often. :wink:

And thus ends the discussion of where the microwave is going :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I sketched out the cabinetry arrangement along the new long counter area. That window will be great -- it's a view to the west, so we'll get filtered sunlight coming through the trees. There will be some good upper cabinets along that wall -- more than we currently have over the cooktop.

I'm starting to think about the shelves and cabinets around the cooktop as well. There's not going to be much room in that area, but I'm thinking that I want a narrow row of upper cabinets on the left side, beside the hood. These actually might be shelves -- just a place to put some dinner plates. I like the idea of pulling down some plates off of a handy shelf on which to plop some food. I'm not sure about that right now. I may also want a drawer or two on the left to house some utensils. I need to play with this configuration for awhile. Regardless, I don't like the space that I'm losing by cutting off that corner of the cabinet. I may have to keep it square, as it'll still be better than the current configuration, with the eating bar intruding into the work area. This may be a spatial compromise that I have to make.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

where are the spices? A thin spice cupboard handy for the sove is useful.

I have one on the diagonal corner, that was too small for anyhing else.

I'm thinking of putting a shallow cabinet at the end of the peninsula for the spices, etc. That way, I just have to rotate to get what I need. Again, that's a ton better than my current arrangement!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I don't think the bookshelves (at the end of the SubZeros) will be a work area (although if you're configuring lighting, which just dawned on me might be the case, then lighting would be needed there). Also, the counter where the compactor currently is will be a marble slab -- thus, it's the pastry region. If this is for lighting, do we need something near the ovens?

Everything is ok otherwise.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oh, the "work area" of the bookshelves will be on the right side, not the bottom as you have it.

Yes, I'm working on lighting.

I'm confused. Isn't there a honkin' big refrigerator to the right? Are you saying that the bookshelves will be open to the left, more or less facing the doorway, and you'd be facing right to use them?

The ovens: yes, this is probably a task area. The question is if you'll get enough spillover from the bar, the range and Al's peninsula to cover it.

As for the refrigerator, I'm not too worried about light there. You'll have plenty of area lighting, plus they're illuminated internally (aren't they?)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Are you saying that the bookshelves will be open to the left, more or less facing the doorway, and you'd be facing right to use them?

Yes. I actually meant the left side. I'm becoming more like Mrs. Varmint, who has always had problems with her left and right. But you would be standing in the doorway area to use the bookshelf.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I don't have a microwave, but if I did, I'd want it higher than down in the base cabinets.

My favorite spot would be directly on a counter. I think it's the safest space for one. That's why I also said it could fit right on the countertop across from the fridge, right there in the corner on top of the wine fridge.

I'm used to designing small kitchens - so my favorite spot is above the cooktop. Works out fine for me since I like Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet and wind up doing prep work in the microwave which gets thrown into a pot on the stove. Also -I cook smokey, greasy things outside - not inside - so the dinky exhaust fan on the microwave doesn't bother me. Robyn

OK?

i2340.jpg

Earlier, you said you would switch to halogen lighting. Would you care to illuminate (har) us regarding this decision?

That looks good, Dave.

The reason I suggested halogen was simply because the fixtures are smaller and sexier (I may not want sexy appliances, but sexy lighting is cool!). Also, I could get smaller halogen tracks to replace the current incandescent arrangment. However, I know absolutely nothing about lighting, so please, shine your knowledge upon me (har back at you).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Here is one way to save money when it comes to lighting.  Use a couple of "floating look"  fluorescent fixtures for now.  Maybe a rectangular one along the "galley" and a square one in the middle of the left hand area.  They are cheap -energy efficient - and will give you tons of light.  There are "warm bulbs" which emit a light color which won't make the kitchen look like a garage.  Robyn

I agree with Robyn on this point, and not only for those on a budget. Fluorescents are often overlooked in the overall lighting package, I suppose because they have a connotation of cheapness. But with the latest bulbs, they can be extremely effective at general lighting (and task lighting, when used under cabinets) for a fraction of the installation and maintenance cost of incandescent or halogen, and when properly deployed, they can be almost invisible.

Anyone who thinks all fluorescents are cheap will disabuse himself of that notion if he looks at the Artemide website. You know your budget is in trouble when you're looking at "luminaires" - not "lighting fixtures" :smile: . Likewise - all halogens aren't "high class" - far from it. Incandescents of course are all over the place - you can even use halogen floods in a lot of can downlights.

I find lighting a very exciting overlooked area in many design plans these days. People have to start with basic questions - what am I going to use for general illumination - what am I going to use for accent/task lighting - do I have any particular problems like needing wall washers to deal with a large painting. And then how can I integrate everything I need in terms of light colors and (possibly) mood changes through things like dimmers.

In the kitchen - I always found that general illumination was most important. In another kitchen I built (not the one I currently have) - I had fluorescents installed under the cabinets - but found that I had enough general illumination that I rarely used them. Robyn

Shouldn't the flood to the top left be centered over the kids' bar? You mentioned you like the "sexy" halogen lights. I think this would be a good location for 2-3 small hanging halogen fixtures. This isn't the best picture of them, but I love these small lights over each table at a local restaurant.

Make sure the light in the doorway by the bookcase is not a hot spot light. You will from time to time be standing in that spot for several minutes while perusing your titles and you don't want that shining down on your head, a cool flood light would be best there.

I don't recomment having upper cabinets to the right and left of your hood. They get greasy there, even with the hood. Make sure your hood has a built in light.

Rachel, I was agreeing with Dave's work area lay-out. The eating bar should have light distributed across its length. We'll have wiring incorporated into the box that'll be covering up the I-beam.

For a "mood" effect, I'd love something akin to this:

i2342.jpg

This is an exaggerated cross section of the I-beam above the eating counter. The red circles represent fluorescent bulbs running the length of the box that the carpenter is building to cover the I-beam. Those fluorescents would operate off of a different switch than the small halogens at the bottom of the box. That way, we could have some nice backlighting onto the ceiling.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If anyone is interested - there's an article in today's New York Times design section about kitchen renovations -

The Ready Mix Kitchen

The website is free - but you have to register if you haven't already. Robyn

Interesting article, thanks.

I liked her original kitchen best of all. I think adding a free-standing worktable or a few base cabinets w/ a butcher block countertop & a bunch of wall cabinets or open shelves would make a much more attractive kitchen htan any of the ones the designers came up with. I especially love that sink!

I’m starting to sketch out some of the cabinetry. I showed Mrs. Varmint my very nice sketch of the cooktop area. She hated the open shelves where the pots and pans would go. She said, “If you can keep your pots and pans in pristine condition, then it’s not that big of a deal. (she then opened up the cabinet beneath the current cooktop) But if your pots and pans look like THIS, then you HAVE to have doors.”

I couldn’t object.

I’m going back to a complete rectangle configuration for the cooktop cabinets. I need all the available space that I can.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites