• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian and Korean

jogoode

Can anything beat the biryani and raita from Khajuraho, in Haverford?

Or the pan-chan and great, and inexpensive, Korean BBQ at Kim's Restaurant, 5955 N. 5th St., Philly?

(There are some interesting-looking ethnic spots in this area, has anyone been?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Khajuraho is good, but I actually prefer Main Line Jewel of India in Ardmore. It's a bit cheaper and the food is every bit as good, with some standouts like dosas and an insanely good fried cauliflower appetizer.

Thanks! I've never heard of your spot; I'm not from the area, but spend a good deal of time there. Where in Ardmore?

Why are there two good Indian spots in the middle of the Burbs. My NJ burbs has no good Indian food whatsoever.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Thanks! I've never heard of your spot; I'm not from the area, but spend a good deal of time there. Where in Ardmore?

Why are there two good Indian spots in the middle of the Burbs. My NJ burbs has no good Indian food whatsoever.

Oh JJ, come to Lawrenceville, Princeton and Plainsboro, Indo-Pak cuisine everywhere, including Palace of Asia in Mercerville, Kolluri Korner in Princeton and Passage to India in Lawrenceville.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

i'd be interested to hear about people's korean favorites in the areas if anyone has anything to add.

i agree with the rec of mainline jewel of india in ardmore. very good food (excellent dosas!), and in my opinion better than khajuraho. khajuraho is actually in ardmore, not haverford.

thanks,

arice

Thanks Rich! Good to know, especially if my girlfriend decides to go to grad school around there. Are there Indian communities in these cities/towns? (I could be wrong but I don't think there is a substantial one in Haverford or Ardmore.)

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Thanks Rich! Good to know, especially if my girlfriend decides to go to grad school around there. Are there Indian communities in these cities/towns? (I could be wrong but I don't think there is a substantial one in Haverford or Ardmore.)

Huge Indian-Pakistani communities in our area, due toi both the pharmeceutical industries here, as well as the academic institutions. And the food is fantastic.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Main Line Jewel of India is on Lancaster Ave on the north side of the street just east of Ardmore Ave. I think they have a neon sign in the window. Parking is in back behind that block of stores and restaurants.

As for why... I don't really know. But there is a big Indian community in University City in West Philly. Unfortunately, the Indian restaurants in this neighborhood are less impressive than the ones mentioned above in Ardmore, mainly catering to the college crowd in the eat-cheap-at-the-buffet fashion.

Edit: brain fart

Edited by gabe (log)

mainly catering to the college crowd in the eat-cheap-at-the-buffet fashion.

damn college kids!

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

i'd be interested to hear about people's korean favorites in the areas if anyone has anything to add.

Han Chon on 5th street for sullungtang (beef bone noodle soup). It's quite good and inexpensive. I can't speak for their other dishes, but their sullungtang is excellent. :biggrin:

Pastoral in Center City (a few blocks east from Kimmel Center) is also excellent.

I'll second the Woo reco in Upper darby. definitely teh best in the area, although the little spot in the old White Tower spot on Garrett is also good. If you get to NJ, Korea Garden on Rte. 70 (same plaza as Dansiezen & Quigley) is amazing. And Han Ah Deum supermarket at Old York/Cheltenham is phenomenal (we get our yuzu tea there).

owner, Rx